logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Glyn24  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2005 1:21:09 PM(UTC)
Glyn24

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hello, Has anyone tried to run the Expert Advisor on a portfolio of stocks and generate commentaries for the whole portfolio? It seems to me that you can only run the Expert Advisor for 1 stock at a time. thanks
Patrick  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2005 3:19:57 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Unfortunately this is not possible. I actually did write once a custom expert advisor that would combine securities. The problem I ran into was that the program limits you to 20 variables and x amount of characters which as you can image was not enough for me ....... But if your portfolio of stocks is small enough you could try it .... Patrick
hayseed  
#3 Posted : Friday, April 22, 2005 5:56:20 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey glyn..... its possible that i'm missing something in your question..... expert advisors are attached, so yes you could be running the expert on many, but you could only be reading one at a time..... as example , you could have the equis macd expert attached to all components of the dow 30 running in real time, but you could only read 1 at a time..... so if your reading the 'ibm' commentary and then try to read 'mmm's, 'ibm's commentary closes..... if you think about it thats no big deal, how many things can we read at the same time anyway.... you would have to print them individualy also.... creating a layout with all your portfolio of stocks and attatching the expert to each, then saving it , makes it 1 click loading simple ..... and as mentioned i might be missunderstanding your question.....h
hayseed  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 25, 2005 6:09:55 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey glyn.... maybe experts need not be attached to work.... i was studying on a simple solution to your portfolio question and it appears seperate the commentarys can be combined into one ...... more on that over on the meta tips/tricks page 3.......h
Glyn24  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 26, 2005 10:00:23 AM(UTC)
Glyn24

Thanks Patrick and Hayseed, Yes the idea was to create a written commentary on say the S&P 500 according to my trading rules. The reason for using the commentary rather than the explorer is that I wanted to create a written report to redistribute to my clients. :wink: