logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JKrider  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2005 3:02:18 AM(UTC)
JKrider

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I am a complete newbee to Metastock, so excuse me if this is self evident. I wish to make an expert/explorer based upon multiple time frames of a stock. Reference is the Underground Trader who uses a 3 min, 8 min, and 13 min chart for setup with a 1 minute chart as the trigger. For example if the 5 peroid MA is flat in the 3/8/13 time frames and the 15 MA is moving upwards to the 5 MA with an overall uptrend this is the setup. The trigger is the one minute candle closing up over the 5 MA and the one minute stochastics rising up. I know this is complicated, but can Metastock do it?
hayseed  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 17, 2005 4:02:02 PM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey j..... 1 minute triggers, i like your style..... yes your plan can be coded into meta and no it really wouldn't be difficult..... most, if not all, experts can be applied to any chart irrespective to time frames..... of course there might be a buy alert on the 3 minute , a sell alert on the 13, a hold on the 30 and another buy in the 60...... in this not very good example you can see the expert buy/sell happy/sad faces ...... btw in your example, the 15 pma moving up towards the 5 pma, thats similiar to the 5 pma moving down toward the 15.... which is often a hint of temp downtrend.... plot both in the same window and you see what i mean.... there are far better coders here than me, if no one provides it i'll try...... beware, my coding often has high % returns, in the laugh department that is.....h
JKrider  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2005 7:59:46 PM(UTC)
JKrider

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Thanks, i would appreciate your help on doing multiple time frames. thinking about it, i guess you can open a one min chart, then look for the open of the bar 3 periods ago, highest of the three bars, lowest of the three bars and close of the last bar to make a 3 min bar then plot its mov. How would that 3 min, 8/13 etc. chart plot with the x-axis being one minute?
henry1224  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2005 2:23:19 AM(UTC)
henry1224

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Check out the post in the formula section called OHLC 6 DWM. Although it is meant to be used on a daily chart, it should give you an idea as to how to develop strategies for multiple Time Frames
hayseed  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, April 19, 2005 3:46:27 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey j..... you can pull up the 3, 8 and 13 minute charts like jea uses and have the 1 minute chart with the expert attached minimized.... you probably will prefer using the graphics and not the alerts, cause 1 minute triggers will alert too much.... below should be the code for buys/sells.... the up or downtrend code could be added but that sort of thing is best just visualized in the 3/8/13 charts..... and of course the expert could be attached to all charts..... jea is trying to catch the 1 minute just as it moves in sync with the higher time frames and appears to have a good deal of success..... h bulish trend/buy
C>Mov(C,5,S) AND Stoch(5,3) > Ref(Stoch(5,3) ,-1)
bearish trend/sell
C<Mov(C,5,S) AND Stoch(5,3) < Ref(Stoch(5,3) ,-1) -----------------------------------------------