logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DWMcGrack  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2022 3:20:12 AM(UTC)
DWMcGrack

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hi Guys

I have downloaded the forum.dll from this website (https://forum.metastock.com/posts/t148096findunread-ForumDll-112).

However, when I go to extract the file or copy the file into the Program Files\equis\Metastock\External Function DLLs folder, I get an error message "Cannot open Output File, Access is denied".

This seems to be suggesting I cannot copy files to this folder. Any clues on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

wabbit  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2022 12:11:45 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
The file is a compressed file; can you uncompressed it and see the .dll file it contains? And, if I remember correctly, this is the latest version? https://forum.metastock.com/resource.ashx?a=2650&b=1

Edited by user Wednesday, September 14, 2022 12:18:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Fixed url

MS Support  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 14, 2022 3:13:11 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: DWMcGrack Go to Quoted Post

Hi Guys

I have downloaded the forum.dll from this website (https://forum.metastock.com/posts/t148096findunread-ForumDll-112).

However, when I go to extract the file or copy the file into the Program Files\equis\Metastock\External Function DLLs folder, I get an error message "Cannot open Output File, Access is denied".

This seems to be suggesting I cannot copy files to this folder. Any clues on what I am doing wrong?

Thanks

As wabbit noted, it is best to use the latest version of the DLL (2.0) through the link he provided. However, the problem you are encountering is likely a Windows security error. Windows typically protects the "Program Files" (and "Program Files (x86)") location, and will block you from extracting ZIP files directly into this location.

What you typically need to do is Extract the file somewhere else first that is not protected (i.e. your Desktop), and then Copy & Paste the file into the directory by right-clicking the file on your Desktop and choosing Copy, then navigating through the Windows File Explorer to C:\Program Files\Equis\MetaStock\External Function DLLs and right-clicking in the folder and choosing Paste.

Windows will typically pop up a confirmation box to Continue with this action as a security measure, which doesn't happen when you simply try and Extract the file directly into that location (Windows simply blocks the action).

The link wabbit provided is directly to the DLL, so you technically won't need to Unzip/Extract that file. But you will still want to save the downloaded file somewhere (i.e. your Downloads folder) then Copy & Paste using my instructions above.

Edited by user Wednesday, September 14, 2022 3:18:01 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DWMcGrack  
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2022 5:17:42 AM(UTC)
DWMcGrack

Thanks for this. I have downloaded the file and copy and paste as instructed above. However, when I look at indicator builder i cannot see the file or formulas. I have tried pasting the folder (Form20) and separately each file contained in the folder (.data .rdata .reloc and .text), but both don't appear to work. Any suggestions on what I have missed? Thanks
MS Support  
#5 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2022 2:25:41 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)

Originally Posted by: DWMcGrack Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for this. I have downloaded the file and copy and paste as instructed above. However, when I look at indicator builder i cannot see the file or formulas. I have tried pasting the folder (Form20) and separately each file contained in the folder (.data .rdata .reloc and .text), but both don't appear to work. Any suggestions on what I have missed? Thanks

Hello,

Are you looking inside the "Functions" area specifically? To do this:

Open the Indicator Builder and click New.

Click into the Formula box and click the Functions button.

On the left-hand side, scroll down the "Function Category" list

The bottom section of the Function Category should list the various DLL function categories, including the Forum DLL functions.

I don't think this would impact MetaStock's loading of the DLL, but if you have tried the above and you still cannot see the functions, you might need to try Unblocking the DLL file. Navigate to the file (C:\Program Files\Equis\MetaStock\External Function DLLs), right-click on the File and choose Properties. If there is an Unblock button at the bottom of the Properties window, click on this then click OK. Restart MetaStock to see if that helps.

wabbit  
#6 Posted : Thursday, September 15, 2022 11:27:16 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)

DLLs are first addressed when MS starts, so if MS is open when you copied the dll into the External Function DLLs folder, you need to restart MS.

Edited by user Thursday, September 15, 2022 11:46:09 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

DWMcGrack  
#7 Posted : Friday, September 16, 2022 1:03:10 AM(UTC)
DWMcGrack

Thanks Guys, it has worked.

I deleted the file and downloded it again. This time it worked.

I am not sure how or why, but the file I initially copied into MS was as a Windows folder Called Forum 20, not a MS file. I tried to replicated what I did to see how or why this may have occurred but can't. I assume user error but fortunately today the gods are smiling upon me, and all is good.

Thanks again. 

thanks 1 user thanked DWMcGrack for this useful post.
MS Support on 9/16/2022(UTC)