logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TomHam  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 23, 2019 6:15:36 PM(UTC)
TomHam

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 6 time(s) in 4 post(s)

I've just received an error message in a window while starting M.S. 16 EOD, reading "Error Initializing MetaStock Data Files. Log Contains Stack Error Trace."

Of course this happened late Friday night with M.S. Support closed until Monday.  Can anyone help me out with a solution?  (I've already reset the regestry via Ctrl & Shift while opening M.S.; no improvement.)

Thanks.

TomHam  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2019 12:01:13 AM(UTC)
TomHam

Here's what I found out and how to resolve this issue - - - With the recent Windows 10 update, they added a Ransomware feature. IF you turn that on, you may have problems with an App (like MetaStock) trying to open or save a data file on your computer. You can either turn it Off, or tell this feature to allow that specific App through. Since I use Windows Defender, I'll highlight that method: Open Window Defender; click on Virus & Threat Protection; click on Ransomware Protection; there you can turn the feature On or Off, IF you have it On, you can click on Allow An App Through Controlled Access Folder; select the app from the list, or you may have to find the programs location to add it. That's it. You should not have anymore issues with this. (I just clicked on the MS 16 icon to add the folder.) Hope this helps. Cheers ! ……….. Tom ……….
thanks 1 user thanked TomHam for this useful post.
MS Support on 2/25/2019(UTC)
MS Support  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 3:29:28 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)

Thank you Tom,

Glad you were able to get it sorted out. We attempt to write to two locations:

C:\Users\(Windows.User)\Documents\MetaStock

C:\Users\(Windows.User)\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters\MetaStock\16.0

Sometimes there can be administrative rights or other folder permission issues that cause this, but as you noted, Windows Defender more recently has been more cautious in letting programs do this without explicit permission to do so.

TomHam  
#4 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2019 4:42:34 PM(UTC)
TomHam

Super, having these locations (of the "write files") helps out with setting up the "Ransomware" feature of Windows Defender. (Too bad M.S. doesn't give folks a "head up" when updating Windows 10 features, sure would cut down the number of calls to tech support.) :)
PTJim  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 6, 2022 10:49:12 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Originally Posted by: TomHam Go to Quoted Post
I've just received an error message in a window while starting M.S. 16 EOD, reading "Error Initializing MetaStock Data Files. Log Contains Stack Error Trace."

Of course this happened late Friday night with M.S. Support closed until Monday.  Can anyone help me out with a solution?  (I've already reset the regestry via Ctrl & Shift while opening M.S.; no improvement.)

Thanks.

---------- UPDATE 7 March 2022 --------

Merrill in Tech Support just walked me through the fix for this one:

1. Go to C:\Users\<user>\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters\MetaStock\16.0\DataOnDemand Cache\MSSmart\

2. Look for two files HFRO.mws and PFFA.mws, delete them (or if paranoid, move elsewhere)

3. Try starting MetaStock; for me (MS 16) it launched fine and seems to be working again.

------------

I've been having exactly this same error message all day today - MS refuses to start up and open, instead displaying that same useless error message with no hints about what's going on or how to fix it.

I tried the solutions in this old thread, but all my folders were already set to full read/write access for all user accounts and administrator and Ctl-Shift added to startup does nothing different.

Is this a problem with the data vendor service we have to pay for, or MetaStock?  Either way, my critical weekend chart scan and analysis didn't get done before Monday market opening.

Edited by user Monday, March 7, 2022 5:45:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked PTJim for this useful post.
MS Support on 3/7/2022(UTC)