logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MTTertuliano  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 18, 2021 12:16:10 PM(UTC)
MTTertuliano

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

In the beginning of my technical analysis journey, I found MS was the best option when comparing with others TS. Now, after more than 10 years, I find myself both frustrated and too tired to quit MS and start all over with other software, so I've decided to share my frustrations. I'm running MS17 on Parallels V. 17.01 on a MacBook Pro 32 Gb Ram i9 intel processor. Parallels itself manages the available amount of ram shared between Mac and Windows system.

1) The absence of a 64-bit version affects MS performance severely, as its kernel is not capable of using all your hardware gear and multiple tasks.

2) It basically does not work during trading hours when I have Eikon/Xenith terminal opened as well, as basically the later consumes all available resources during trading hour (I have a 500 mb internet connection so I don't believe internet is the problem). It crashes often, especially when using Fulgent AI plug-ins (I have 3). It's pretty much lack of kernel capabilities and stack overrun.

3) you cannot have experts looking for trading signals in real time, so if you want to buy MS thinking that you will have a real time market screener, forget it.

4) only way to have a real time screener is to have a chart opened with your expert attached to it during trading hour. The problem is that MS cannot open like 600 charts at same time (I couldn't open more than 60), so it's useless for real time operations. Don't waste your money buying R/T version. In the end EoD does the same thing and cheaper.

5) you don't have an intelligent mechanism to treat the back testing result. When you run a system test, some stocks perform better than others, so if you want to use that algorithm with those stocks you have to, manually, create a custom list add all stocks and run it separate (there's no automation). That takes forever to do it. And you can't combine both algorithms automatically.

6) not all explorations exist in the System Test module, especially if you buy add ins. So basically, you cannot evaluate the performance of those add-in on a specific group of stocks or compare it with another add-in (or your own algorithm). 

7) Crashes and more crashes, especially when running a System Test with thousands of combinations.... it simply doesn’t work until the end (specially with more than 100k interactions). Sometimes it just crashes and exits.

I'll stop here. Thanks for listening.

thanks 1 user thanked MTTertuliano for this useful post.
MS Support on 9/20/2021(UTC)
MS Support  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 22, 2021 5:35:25 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MTTertuliano Go to Quoted Post

In the beginning of my technical analysis journey, I found MS was the best option when comparing with others TS. Now, after more than 10 years, I find myself both frustrated and too tired to quit MS and start all over with other software, so I've decided to share my frustrations. I'm running MS17 on Parallels V. 17.01 on a MacBook Pro 32 Gb Ram i9 intel processor. Parallels itself manages the available amount of ram shared between Mac and Windows system.

1) The absence of a 64-bit version affects MS performance severely, as its kernel is not capable of using all your hardware gear and multiple tasks.

2) It basically does not work during trading hours when I have Eikon/Xenith terminal opened as well, as basically the later consumes all available resources during trading hour (I have a 500 mb internet connection so I don't believe internet is the problem). It crashes often, especially when using Fulgent AI plug-ins (I have 3). It's pretty much lack of kernel capabilities and stack overrun.

3) you cannot have experts looking for trading signals in real time, so if you want to buy MS thinking that you will have a real time market screener, forget it.

4) only way to have a real time screener is to have a chart opened with your expert attached to it during trading hour. The problem is that MS cannot open like 600 charts at same time (I couldn't open more than 60), so it's useless for real time operations. Don't waste your money buying R/T version. In the end EoD does the same thing and cheaper.

5) you don't have an intelligent mechanism to treat the back testing result. When you run a system test, some stocks perform better than others, so if you want to use that algorithm with those stocks you have to, manually, create a custom list add all stocks and run it separate (there's no automation). That takes forever to do it. And you can't combine both algorithms automatically.

6) not all explorations exist in the System Test module, especially if you buy add ins. So basically, you cannot evaluate the performance of those add-in on a specific group of stocks or compare it with another add-in (or your own algorithm). 

7) Crashes and more crashes, especially when running a System Test with thousands of combinations.... it simply doesn’t work until the end (specially with more than 100k interactions). Sometimes it just crashes and exits.

I'll stop here. Thanks for listening.

Thank you for your feedback! Certain combinations of CPU usage could lead to performance degradation. Certain formula functions and load records can exacerbate such issues. While different tasks in MetaStock operate on different threads (i.e. Charting vs. Expert vs System Test), all Expert Advisors (to my understanding) operate on a single thread, so having a lot of CPU activity from the Expert Advisor can create some challenges.

As far as System Tester crashing, this is not something that I would expect unless the ST_DATA.MDB file is reaching the 2GB Microsoft Access Database limit. To prevent this from happening it may be helpful to run a Quick Test first (i.e. if you're running an optimized test to find the best parameters, you don't necessarily need to see the full system report), then once you have narrowed down which parameters are best, you can perform a more focused test without the Quick Test option.

I'm not sure if this is the source of the problem you are having with the System Tester, but it might be helpful to speak with our technical support if the above suggestion does not help.