logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kerrydianne  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 19, 2019 8:44:24 PM(UTC)
kerrydianne

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I'm not sure when this started, but it could be related to me deciding to transfer to smart charts.  So when I open some charts (data) from the Power Console I get the error message "not a valid Metastock file".  Most of my ASX (Australian data)  opens OK, but there are a few stocks that are affected by the issue.  It appears that the error is affecting all of my US data.

Have checked the forum and there is discussions on this error with regard to intraday data, however, I am using Metastock 16 end EOD, so I don't think this is relevant in this case.

I've tried reinstalling my database which makes no difference.

Please help.

Kerry

I managed to get hold of a "guru" today.  With his help we discovered the problem was the fact that in the "apply template" menu in the power console - I have 2 templates, named "Smart Chart" in this menu.  One smart chart is shown right at the beginning of the list of templates (ie. out of alphabetical order).  If I go to my templates folder there is only one Smart Chart template listed.  So, it appears one of these has been causing the error - I think , presumably the one listed first in the Apply templates pull down menu.  I didn't want to delete the Smart Chart template that I found in the templates folder, without some advice.  Where would I find the first Smart Chart if it is not listed in the template folder?

Thanks

Kerry

Edited by user Friday, September 20, 2019 8:21:08 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Additional information discovered

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2019 4:49:42 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: kerrydianne Go to Quoted Post

I'm not sure when this started, but it could be related to me deciding to transfer to smart charts.  So when I open some charts (data) from the Power Console I get the error message "not a valid Metastock file".  Most of my ASX (Australian data)  opens OK, but there are a few stocks that are affected by the issue.  It appears that the error is affecting all of my US data.

Have checked the forum and there is discussions on this error with regard to intraday data, however, I am using Metastock 16 end EOD, so I don't think this is relevant in this case.

I've tried reinstalling my database which makes no difference.

Please help.

Kerry

I managed to get hold of a "guru" today.  With his help we discovered the problem was the fact that in the "apply template" menu in the power console - I have 2 templates, named "Smart Chart" in this menu.  One smart chart is shown right at the beginning of the list of templates (ie. out of alphabetical order).  If I go to my templates folder there is only one Smart Chart template listed.  So, it appears one of these has been causing the error - I think , presumably the one listed first in the Apply templates pull down menu.  I didn't want to delete the Smart Chart template that I found in the templates folder, without some advice.  Where would I find the first Smart Chart if it is not listed in the template folder?

Thanks

Kerry

Hello,

Within the Power Console > Chart tab, the "Smart Chart" listed at the top is not the name of a particular template. If no smart chart exists for a given instrument, then MetaStock will use the Default template (DEFAULT.MWT) to create a new smart chart. If a smart chart already exists for a given instrument, the existing smart chart is opened instead.

It is possible that someone could name a particular template "Smart Chart". When viewing files within Windows/File Explorer, the extension of the file is what determines the type of file it is.

Template = .MWT extension

Smart Chart = .MWS extension

Saved Chart = .MWC extension

Layout = .MWL extension

Within version 16, Smart Charts are stored in the User folder area: C:\Users\(Windows.Username)\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters\MetaStock\16.0\DataOnDemand Cache\MSSmart

There are subfolders for the smart charts based on the type of data being opened. You can delete the items within but you will lose your existing smart charts by doing so. It is possible to isolate the particular problem chart, Apply a different template to it, then Save this as the Smart Chart (File > Save as Smart Chart).

The first thing to try to isolate the problem would be to identify a specific symbol with the problem. Try opening that chart with a different template, such as CLEAN.MWT.