logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gherkin  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 6:13:48 AM(UTC)
Gherkin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)

Hi guys, I recently started using the suffix .AUX on all my charts to consolidate the ASX and Chi-X exchanges (in Australia), and hit on a problem. On Daily charts for some reason the current bar will not update to reflect the last traded price! Instead it will show yesterday's closing price on todays bar until a new trade is made in that stock!! It renders the consolidated exchange view pointless because some stocks that aren't in the top 50 can take 5 minutes or more between trades during inactive periods (which is usually when I get to scan through charts). This means scanning through 100 charts could take 10 times as long as if I were only viewing the .ASX (only volume through ASX is recorded) charts. Seeing as Chi-X now represents approx 35% or more of volume this is a serious problem. When will this bug be fixed so that todays bar will show today's last price whenever it is opened? Even after market when I look through charts 1 HOUR AFTER MARKET I still can't get today's closing price! This means I can't go through daily charts after market for more than an hour! How is this possible?

Please help. This bug is horrible!

Craig

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 9:20:01 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)

Hi,

Originally Posted by: Gherkin Go to Quoted Post

On Daily charts for some reason the current bar will not update to reflect the last traded price! Instead it will show yesterday's closing price on todays bar until a new trade is made in that stock!!

Just to clarify, are you seeing duplicate bars in the chart? (one for the current day and an identical bar for the prior day?) Can you give an example symbol where you are seeing this?

Due to the time difference for the markets, Australian markets does not open until about 5pm our time but we will take a look at this at the open to see if we can reproduce the problem. Thank you!

Gherkin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 10:46:41 PM(UTC)
Gherkin

There is no duplicate bar, it's just that the current bar has a close that's always equal to yesterday's close, and not today's last price. So the high and the low and the open will all be correct, but the closing price will be false and equal to yesterday's close until a new trade occurs in that stock. Let me re-iterate also, that in Australia there can easily be 2 - 10 minutes between trades in any stock outside the top 50 or so. So it makes flicking through a list of charts impossible.
Gherkin  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 14, 2018 11:30:10 PM(UTC)
Gherkin

Sorry I just realised it will give false data if yesterday's close is outside of today's trading range. If yesterdays close is higher than todays range then the bar will falsly show today's high = yesterdays close as well as todays last price is yesterday's close. Same in reverse for cases where yesterdays close is below todays trading range. Either way, the first daily chart I looked at this morning was SBM.AUX and yesterdays close was 418, and the daily shows todays high and todays close = 418, but in reality, today's actual high is only 415 (at time of writing)
thanks 1 user thanked Gherkin for this useful post.
MS Support on 3/15/2018(UTC)
MS Support  
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 4:32:19 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Originally Posted by: Gherkin Go to Quoted Post
Sorry I just realised it will give false data if yesterday's close is outside of today's trading range. If yesterdays close is higher than todays range then the bar will falsly show today's high = yesterdays close as well as todays last price is yesterday's close. Same in reverse for cases where yesterdays close is below todays trading range. Either way, the first daily chart I looked at this morning was SBM.AUX and yesterdays close was 418, and the daily shows todays high and todays close = 418, but in reality, today's actual high is only 415 (at time of writing)

Thank you, I will be trying this tonight to see what I can find. It sounds like you might be seeing a 'flat bar' for the current day where the Open, High, Low, Close are all the same prior day's value? Do you typically open the charts prior to market open or leave them open from the prior day? Does this prior day's value only appear after the current day's market open?

MS Support  
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 6:02:13 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Looking at the data for 3/15/2018, I see the following: SBM.AUX = 4.15 high SBM.AX = 4.15 high SBM.CHA = 4.15 high I will see if we see a similar issue once we start trading for 3/16/2018.
MS Support  
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 15, 2018 11:20:58 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Did some initial testing of this. It was a bit difficult due to the low share price and volume on many of these, so I started running an exploration on the month/day/year and close prices above 10 to get more active instruments. (SBM wasn't updating while I was watching). Using WOW.AX, WOW.AUX, WOW.CHA it appeared to me that they were not reflecting the previous day's value. WOW.AUX updated whenever WOW.AX or WOW.CHA updated. However, because I had been watching SBM for a good 20 minutes, I didn't get to see the behavior of WOW at the market open.
Gherkin  
#8 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 12:29:46 AM(UTC)
Gherkin

But was that data only after it traded again? When you first pulled up the chart it showed you a high and close of 418 which it never reached. It was an active stock yesterday because they released guidance. I'll show you in a less active stock. The error occurs when you first pull up a new daily chart of a stock ending in .AUX. Try CUV.aux and then if it updates to refelct the true price, change the chart and come back to it again on a daily. You'll need it to trade again to show today's prices and they're 5% different to yesterday's prices. Are you guys still up at this hour? Craig
Gherkin  
#9 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 1:27:51 AM(UTC)
Gherkin

Is there an email address or some way I can attach 2 photos I just took of the issue? It shows it as clear as day. I captured it perfectly for you. I took 2 pictures of CUV.AUX when a) I first opened the daily chart (so it shows today's close same as yesterday's close, but today's high is correct) b) once a new trade happens and then the data is updated to be correct. Can I send the pics? I don't see how I can post them here. I had a look but can't see how to upload them. Craig
MS Support  
#10 Posted : Friday, March 16, 2018 2:22:39 PM(UTC)
MS Support

For SBM.AUX, 4.18 is the high value for the previous day 3/14/2018 and this shows on ASX's web site as well. I only looked at this late on the 15th so never would have seen it at the open. Regarding 3/16, everything seemed to be updating as expected on WOW.AX, WOW.AUX, WOW.CHA. There isn't really a way to upload files here, but you can email support@metastock.com with a reference to this forum post and we can take a look.
Gherkin  
#11 Posted : Sunday, March 18, 2018 12:05:54 AM(UTC)
Gherkin

You're not quite getting the idea yet. Let me explain it again.

1. It only happens on .AUX (no need to look at any other exchanges).

2. It only happens when you first flick over to a new Daily chart from some other stock or timeframe or both, and the problem dissapears as soon as there is new a trade in the stock.

3. It is most obvious in illiquid stocks like CUV.AUX. You will not see it in active top 50 stocks like WOW.AUX because they are trading every second and thus constantly updating. 

To see this you can't watch a single chart for ages, because as soon as it has traded again, then the problem dissapears. 

You need to flick through more illiquid stocks and only use the suffix  .AUX.

Remember this false data only is present from the time you open a new daily chart until when the stock trades again once the daily chart is open.

That's why it's a problem when you are flicking through 100's of charts a day, and many are outside the top 100 stocks.

Let me know when you see it for yourself. If you flick through daily charts of less liquid stocks you can't miss it. Just have the accurate data up and side by side and you'll find it in 5 seconds flat.

I have sent 2 photos taken on Friday showing the glaring error in CUV.AUX. It's pretty obvious.

Regards,

Craig

Gherkin  
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2018 2:17:23 AM(UTC)
Gherkin

This is from a chat log I had with the helpdesk last year about this issue:

"This is actually how Metastock Pro has always worked, a chart does not show an update until a new data tick comes in. On very active securities, that can be in a few milliseconds, but on less liquid issues, it will take longer. The real time updating process was designed around intraday charts, which load interval historical data, then display a dynamically updating last bar/candle as soon a new tick of data comes in. With an intraday interval you can see what the price is at the time the chart is opened, but with a daily, it is going to show the previous close until a new tick comes in. I'll make a suggestion to our Development team about improving the process for Daily charts."

I am trying to generate some more strength to the case to have this fault fixed so that the data immediately reflects an accurate bar as soon as you switch to a the daily time frame. It is impossible for someone to go through a few hundred daily charts (ending in .AUX) during market hours until this bug is fixed. It will literally take at least 2x or 3x as long to go therough .AUX charts (assuming you wait for a new tick to get an updated, accurate bar) as going through .AX lists.