logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian48072  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 1:26:32 PM(UTC)
Brian48072

Groups: Subscribers, Unverified Users

In the MS Downloader for version 8.01 on my XP pc, I manually created and manually update a limited number of data files to follow Nelson Freeburg systems.  I would like to move that operation to my Windows 10 laptop which has MetaStock XV.   Does the Metastock XV downloader allow for manual creation and updating of data files?

Thanks for any help.

Brian

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 22, 2017 2:31:19 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Brian48072 Go to Quoted Post

In the MS Downloader for version 8.01 on my XP pc, I manually created and manually update a limited number of data files to follow Nelson Freeburg systems.  I would like to move that operation to my Windows 10 laptop which has MetaStock XV.   Does the Metastock XV downloader allow for manual creation and updating of data files?

Thanks for any help.

Brian

Hi,

There is a newer data format that goes along with MetaStock / DownLoader 15 (MSLocal). When you add a folder to the new DownLoader, you can then right-click on this folder and choose Create New Security to start the process.

thanks 1 user thanked MS Support for this useful post.
Brian48072 on 5/22/2017(UTC)
Brian48072  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:23:39 AM(UTC)
Brian48072

Groups: Subscribers, Unverified Users

"When you add a folder to the new DownLoader, you can then right-click on this folder and choose Create New Security to start the process".

I created a folder and security with the above process and invented a symbol, but by right-clicking the security I couldn't view security data or determine a way to manually enter any data.  It appeared as though downloading the data was my only option, but in this case I wanted to manually enter the data records and data.  How can I do that?

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by user Thursday, June 8, 2017 12:38:57 AM(UTC)  | Reason: word choice and capitalizations

MS Support  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 9, 2017 4:56:13 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Originally Posted by: Brian48072 Go to Quoted Post

"When you add a folder to the new DownLoader, you can then right-click on this folder and choose Create New Security to start the process".

I created a folder and security with the above process and invented a symbol, but by right-clicking the security I couldn't view security data or determine a way to manually enter any data.  It appeared as though downloading the data was my only option, but in this case I wanted to manually enter the data records and data.  How can I do that?

Thanks,

Brian

Hi again,

There is no Data Sheet editing within DownLoader, a Convert would be needed to bring in data this way. You would basically enter the data into a CSV format, then in DownLoader set the page to Convert and choose the Source Type CSV and the Destination MSLocal.

#5 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2017 2:15:22 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

Have been using Metastock versions since 1996 and manually editing data in Downloader (AMONG MANY FEATURES PROFESSIONAL TRADERS NEED AND NOW GONE IN XV ... GRRR !!!) has been an important tool .. Sorry but Metastock XV has DUMBED DOWN our charting experience for no discernable reason ... YOUR LOSS AND MY LOSS !!!

Edited by user Monday, October 16, 2017 2:17:48 AM(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

MS Support  
#6 Posted : Monday, October 16, 2017 2:52:23 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Hi, Enhanced data sheet functionality (in the new DownLoader) is something we are looking into. If this is a significant loss of functionality one thing you might want to consider is using the Legacy or CSV formats in the meantime.
Paul A  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 6, 2018 6:40:07 AM(UTC)

Groups: Guests

In response to Brian's query on being able manually manage or create data files / instruments, in MetaStock 15, this process has changed from the old method of purely using The Downloader.

The key change in MS15 is rather than working on the data in The Downloader, you now do it in a CSV file, where I use MS Excel to view and edit.  To this:

1) Use The Downloader to convert an existing local dataset to CSV format.  Follow the instructions in the above posts provided by MetaStock Support.

2) Store this new CSV file on your hard drive / SSD in a folder where you store your local MetaStock data.  I found I was unable to save the CSV file in a folder that's used by my data providers, so I just created a new subfolder called "CSV" and saved the CSV file there.

3) Go into MS15 and open the PowerConsole.  Right click on the Local Data folder and use the Manage Custom Lists function to include / create new local instruments located in your new folder.  The CSV file should appear as an instrument.  Select it.  Hit Open Chart and MS15 will re-open all your charts, including your new CSV chart.

4) You can keep the CSV updated using Excel, remembering to always save it as a CSV file.  Close Excel, and in MS15 you can go View - Refresh to see the changes you made to the CSV file.

Regards

Paul

martinlw123  
#8 Posted : Friday, February 16, 2018 1:24:03 AM(UTC)
martinlw123

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Enhanced data sheet functionality (in the new DownLoader) is something we are looking into. If this is a significant loss of functionality one thing you might want to consider is using the Legacy or CSV formats in the meantime.

I've used Metastock for many years and use the Downloader to update data sets that I've created.  The data entry and editing capability of  Downloader 10.1 is essential for what I do with Metastock.  The lack of that capability in the current edition of Metastock has left me with no incentive to upgrade from 10.1.  I've also subscribed to Datalink for many years but online data is not the only type of data an experienced investor will need.  Please consider expanding the current features of Downloader to include the old capabilities.  I can't be the only person who depends on them.  I did purchase the upgrade to 13 but I've never used it.     

Edited by user Friday, February 16, 2018 1:26:43 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked martinlw123 for this useful post.
MS Support on 2/16/2018(UTC)