logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
csbro  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 25, 2017 11:22:51 PM(UTC)
csbro

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Have run multi-scans for years. Upgraded to MS 15 EOD in December 2016. Now April 2017 & can no longer run more than 2 multiple scans against large stock folder without MS 15 hanging. Also cannot open Layouts without opening a single chart first.

I run 8 explorations against Technitraders' Market Rank Generated folder daily. This takes 96 minutes minimum, or about 12 minutes per scan. A real pain in the .... Cannot go back to MS 14 EOD without rebuilding files.

Any potential solutions?

Thanks,

Richard

wabbit  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 12:19:14 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Are you using online or local data? From what others have told me, every subsequent scan after the first requires data to be downloaded again; apparently it's not cached. If you have local data though, that data is first loaded into memory and cached for subsequent scans, so they are significantly faster... might be worth a try?
csbro  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 26, 2017 3:52:06 PM(UTC)
csbro

Assume I'm using on line data. I run MarketGenerate Exploration then save to custom folder. Been doing this for several years. Have been running multi-scans (8) against this custom folder also for several years. Worked fine even after loading MS 15 eod in December. Just started this issue last week. Not overwhelmingly tech savvy.
MS Support  
#4 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:12:20 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: csbro Go to Quoted Post

Have run multi-scans for years. Upgraded to MS 15 EOD in December 2016. Now April 2017 & can no longer run more than 2 multiple scans against large stock folder without MS 15 hanging. Also cannot open Layouts without opening a single chart first.

I run 8 explorations against Technitraders' Market Rank Generated folder daily. This takes 96 minutes minimum, or about 12 minutes per scan. A real pain in the .... Cannot go back to MS 14 EOD without rebuilding files.

Any potential solutions?

Thanks,

Richard

Hi,

There will be a number of factors that can influence this. Do you use Load Minimum Records or Load ## Records? How many symbols are you running your scans on? 4,000? 8,000?

I'm currently running 8 explorations with 4727 instruments (NYSE folder) using Load Minimum Records.

(5 completed in 13 minutes). Seems to be about 2.5 minutes per scan. This is on a slightly newer build version. We have made some minor performance gains to scanning in particular and will hopefully be releasing an update to 15 in the near future. That said, there is likely something else contributing to the slowness.

Do you tend to do your scanning at the same time of day? If so, around what time of day do you primarily do your scanning?

Reducing the number of records loaded to only what is necessary can certainly help, but Local Data can certainly be an option if you do a lot of repeat scanning and you're still finding your scans to be too slow.

I do also recommend making sure your instrument lists are up-to-date. You can update this at https://metastockpublicsa.blob.core.windows.net/supportfiles/InstrumentListSetup2.exe

This can help by removing invalid symbols from your online lists, which might improve some aspects of online scanning.

Edited by user Thursday, April 27, 2017 8:15:30 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

csbro  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 27, 2017 11:48:44 PM(UTC)
csbro

In "Data Loading" using "Records to Load" (2500). Switched to Minimum for 2nd run.

I run these reports @ 5:00 PM EST. 2nd run began 6:30 EST & finish 7:40 EST. Looking forward to the update. 

Tried "help" on running local data but couldn't make heads or tails of process.

Instruments are pretty up to date. I'll make a point to update monthly with your link.

Re-running all reports to see if system hangs.... Went through all 8 with no hang. Cut 2.5 minutes of each report. Life Saver!!!

wabbit  
#6 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 3:43:23 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Be very careful about using "Load Minimum Records" in any exploration -- it's better to have a slower exploration with correct results than a fast exploration with wrong results! If you're using any IIR (infinite impulse response) filter, such as an exponential moving average, you'll need to load more than five times the length of that average to get accurate results; using "minimum records" may lead to incorrect results.
csbro  
#7 Posted : Friday, April 28, 2017 3:20:49 PM(UTC)
csbro

Moved it up to 1250. Saves a minute or two per report. Now I can still go out & excercise plus shower during run time.

Thanks very much for the support.