logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tord  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 28, 2012 4:47:57 AM(UTC)
Tord

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Trader David Weis has an interesting way of showing volume - see middle pane in link below: http://www.tradingpsycho.../2011/07/Weis-Wave-1.png Could someone perhaps put together an indicator based on ZigZag, so that in a wave down, it would show these rising red bars of cumulative volume, and in a wave up, rising green bars of cumulative volume?
mstt  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 29, 2012 8:31:42 PM(UTC)
mstt

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Hi Tord

This indicator appears to do what you asked for. Obviously it doesn't take into account the points you didn't mention (Zig method for example). Neither will it plot histograms and colors as requested - you'll need to change the color and style after it's plotted, then save the indicator and those settings as part of your default template if necessary.

Roy

Code:

{ZigZag Volume Histogram}
 {Roy Larsen, 30/7/12}

N:=Input("ZigZag % Parameter",0,99,10);
A:=Zig(C,N,%);
B:=Ref(A,-1)>A AND Ref(A,1)>A OR
A>Ref(A,-1) AND A>Ref(A,1);
X:=A>ValueWhen(2,1,A); Z:=Cum(1);

{Calculate/plot frame Volume}
D:=BarsSince(Ref(B,-1)+(Z=1))+1;
ExtFml("Forum.Sum",V,D)*X;
ExtFml("Forum.Sum",V,D)*(X=0);

thanks 1 user thanked mstt for this useful post.
Perty on 2/7/2017(UTC)
Tord  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2012 1:24:24 AM(UTC)
Tord

Thank you very much, Roy. I pasted your code into Indicator Builder and got the following error message: This DLL does not exist in the MSX DLL folder. Any suggestions?
mstt  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2012 2:40:14 AM(UTC)
mstt

Hi Tord

Go to the Files section of this site and download the ForumDll_200 item. Rename it as Forum.DLL and install it in the "External Function DLLs" folder under the "MetaStock" folder. Then restart MetaStock and the formula should work as intended. I tested that it worked before posting, and I also tested that it worked by copying the formula off my post.

If you wish to you can leave the DLL with it's original name and change the DLL name in my formula instead. Personally I don't see any reason to use 12 characters each time I use the DLL in a formula when 5 characters work just fine.

Roy
Tord  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2012 8:33:23 AM(UTC)
Tord

It works perfectly. Again, thank you very much.
Perty  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 3:00:51 PM(UTC)
Perty

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Hi Roy, I added the above indicator and this has been very helpful in giving clarity to my charts. Many thanks. What would be the scanning formula (exploration) when the uptrend on this indicator switches to a downtrend and vice versa? Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.
mstt  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, February 7, 2017 9:46:25 PM(UTC)
mstt

Hi Perty This version of the original indicator generates a negative spike when a security is judged to be turning down, and a positive spike when a security is judged to be turning up. {ZigZag Vol Hist Reversal} {Roy Larsen, 2012-2017, 8/2/17} N:=Input("ZigZag % Parameter",0,99,10); A:=Zig(C,N,%); B:=Ref(A,-1)>A AND Ref(A,1)>A OR A>Ref(A,-1) AND A>Ref(A,1); X:=A>ValueWhen(2,1,A); Z:=Cum(1); {Calculate/plot frame Volume} D:=BarsSince(Ref(B,-1)+(Z=1))+1; Long:=ExtFml("Forum.Sum",V,D)*(X=0); Short:=ExtFml("Forum.Sum",V,D)*X; Long:=Long<Ref(Long,-1); Short:=Short<Ref(Short,-1); Long-Short; For an exploration you might use something like this... {colA} Market:=Fml("ZigZag Vol Hist Reversal"); Market>0; {colB} Market:=Fml("ZigZag Vol Hist Reversal"); Market<0; {Filter} colA OR colB Roy
Perty on 2/8/2017(UTC)
Perty  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 3:57:30 PM(UTC)
Perty

Hi Roy, Thank you for the spike version of the ZigZag Vol Hist Reversal indicator. This is really appreciated :-) The earlier version ZigZag Volume Histogram and suggestion of creating a template works better for me as this is more visual and I have added my own colours to the up and downtrends. What I still cannot scan is when a stock switches from positive to negative and vice versa. This way I can act on the second day of the switch to catch the trade (as I am a end of day trader). I tried the above exploration and got 0 results, probably I am doing something wrong? Any suggestions? Thanks.
mstt  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 7:11:07 PM(UTC)
mstt

Hi Perty Check the Explorer Options settings. If your setting is "Load Minimum Records" you need to change it to a specific number. I loaded 100 bars for my tests. The "Load Minimum Records" option is rarely the best option to use. It may make the scan run a little faster but is far more likely to return inaccurate or no results. I also suggest that you change the Periods setting default in the source indicator. The lower the "N" parameter (in the indicator) the more hits you will get. On any given date you can expect to get way more results from one column than the other. This is just a reflection of the market, not a sign of a faulty indicator or exploration. Roy
Perty on 2/9/2017(UTC)
Perty  
#10 Posted : Thursday, February 9, 2017 3:57:28 PM(UTC)
Perty

Hi Roy, Both your suggestions worked like magic, thank you. The trend is clearer and the exploration is straight forward. Cheers.
Perty  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 3:06:34 PM(UTC)
Perty

Hi Roy, I have been using the the ZigZag Volume Histogram indicator for a few weeks now and this works very well in terms visual clarity, ie clearly showing the continuing uptrend or the downtrend and also indicating if the last bar will lead to a continuation or a reversal in trend. The Zigzag % parameter I am using is 7. This has helped me hold long positions longer and I am less panicky. The exploration has helped me locate possible reversals. The issue I am dealing now with is, as an example - A stock has been moving up since a few weeks and the Histogram continues to rise (adding to the cumulative volume), the trend is Up. Then for 4 days the stock goes down and the Histogram shows a trend change, the trend is Down (for 3 or 4 days depending on the down move/volume). Then on the next day the stock goes up dramatically on very high volume and the trend is Up. When this happens then the Histogram shows the stock to be in an overall uptrend ignoring the 3-4 days the stock was down (and the Histogram was down). Is there anyway to freeze the histogram at the end of each day so that the signal is fixed (either up or down) and it does not change the next day/days due to a large range bar / or high volume bar? Any assistance in this matter will be appreciated. Thanks.
mstt  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, March 8, 2017 10:24:51 PM(UTC)
mstt

Hi Perty I don't immediately see a quick and easy adjustment to fix the problem. However you should try a few ideas of your own. Even if you don't solve the problem immediately the odds are that you'll eventually figure it out. If you do nothing you won't learn a thing. Roy
Perty  
#13 Posted : Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:44:16 PM(UTC)
Perty

Hi Roy, Thank you for your suggestion. I am taking on exploring new settings or using 2 different settings with this indicator and scan to see if this helps in dealing with the issue at hand. As of now the scan results brings the number of stocks to review down to around 10-20 daily, which is manageable. Currently, what I do with these results is filter them visually through a few patterns that I follow. The results have been promising. Thank you once again.