logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ageitalia  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2016 5:38:42 PM(UTC)
ageitalia

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Owner of MS11 and MS15 (Ok, the latter still waiting to be installed...)
I recently purchased a new PC, equipped with Win10 OS. They told me Metastock runs regularly, which is correct. Almost correct.
Metastock works properly, but I hade an annoying trouble.
I own many hundred charts, so I find useful to click on them from Equis\Metastock\Charts folder. I may switch from MS to folder with Alt+Tab keys.
But with this new PC, after having opened MS and clicked on any file, I got this error message: «Error while sending command to program».
Naturally, any chart is displayed. When I click on it within MS (File -> Open), I regularry display it. Just, this path is waaaay more time consuming, since I have to scroll the Open window each time...
Merrill from Equis Support confirmed me he got the same error on Windows 10, while opening file from the Folder with MS11 and 15. So he reported the problem to the development team. Which almost surely means it'll be fixed with the next MS release!
Very sad having to consume a lot of time just to open charts, instead of studying markets. I hope for a patch to be released, but realize it's not a common Metastock standard. So by any chance do you have any hint?
MS Support  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 3:21:20 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi, I receive the message if MetaStock is closed and I try and double-click on a chart or layout file. If MetaStock is already opened and I double click on a chart/layout file through Windows Explorer, the chart/layout opens without error. Is this also the behavior you are seeing?
ageitalia  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 4:05:35 PM(UTC)
ageitalia

Ciao, that was the standard behavior while running MS11 on Win7 OS. But I got this error under Win10. It looks like MS15 show this error too.
MS Support  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 7:06:14 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Hi, After doing a bit of digging into the issue, it appears the problem lies in DDE (Dynamic Data Exchange) and is unable to be fixed. Do you have any version of Microsoft Office installed on the PC? Do you know which version it is (i.e. Office 2007, Office 2010, etc).
ageitalia  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 8:12:19 PM(UTC)
ageitalia

Both Office 2003 and Office 2010.
I may try to uninstall the former, without any regrets...

Edited by user Tuesday, December 6, 2016 8:12:59 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MS Support  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2016 8:25:06 PM(UTC)
MS Support

We are getting different results on different systems and we have a combination of Office 2007 and 2010 on different machines. It seemed that the older versions of Office were able to successfully open the chart files from outside MetaStock (with the error message). On our Office 2010 machines, we didn't get the error and the chart/layout files never opened into MetaStock. It seems that the best-case scenario is that you will get the error message, but the chart will still open. If that is what you are seeing now, you may not want to uninstall the older version (2003) but if I get any additional feedback on this from our development I will post an update here.

Edit: After checking with our developer who originally investigated this issue, he did not think the issue was Office-specific (but it is possibly Operating System specific). DDE is a bit dated technology-wise and I do not believe has received any active development from Microsoft. Unfortunately this means the current functionality is probably the best we can hope for.

Edited by user Tuesday, December 6, 2016 8:43:06 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

ageitalia  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 10:37:54 AM(UTC)
ageitalia

I first installed Excel 2003 on my new PC machine, equipped with Windows 2010 OS. But rather soon I encountered many different crashes while opening old XLS files, so Microsoft was kind enough to download automatically for me and install Office 2010. So I own both 2003 and 2010 on the same machine. Unfortunately, I have to run both: 'cause the former still works fine with older macros, and the latter needs for daily tasks. The problem still persist: after having opened my MS11, it's IMPOSSIBLE to open any Metastock charts from Windows Explorer: an error message does appear, and then any chart is shown. Ditto for MS layout, obviously. So it looks like I'll have to open each chart within Metastock, by having the quite boring commitment to scroll down in order to double-click on each of them... :-(
MS Support  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 7, 2016 4:21:09 PM(UTC)
MS Support

You may have better success with MetaStock 15, but it is hard to say for sure. Keep in mind that even if you install MetaStock 15 on the same PC, it will not affect your MetaStock 11 (they install to different locations). I am actually not sure which version of MetaStock would take precedence for double-clicks, but it is possible that MetaStock 15 would take over the double-click file association if it is the more recent installation.

If you plan to do this, you will want to make sure you do not Save your charts/layouts when you open them in MetaStock 15 if you plan to use them in MetaStock 11 still. Or, make a copy of your MetaStock 11 chart/layout folder to use in MetaStock 15. Once you Save as Chart/Layout in 15, you will no longer be able to open the chart/layout in MetaStock 11.

Edited by user Wednesday, December 7, 2016 4:39:33 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked MS Support for this useful post.
ageitalia on 12/8/2016(UTC)