logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ageitalia  
#1 Posted : Thursday, April 14, 2016 3:58:01 PM(UTC)
ageitalia

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi Everyone!
I had the chance to rediscover in my archives an old Add-On for Metastock, named "FIRE". It was developed by former Adaptick, no longer existing, and merchandized almost ten years ago.
Needless to say, I find it of some use, provided a slight personalization was possible.
In particular, I need to obtain Advancing Volume (AV) turnover and Declining Volume (DV) turnover data, by multiplying EACH advancing issue volume for its price, and ditto for declining issues.
While FIRE calculates AV and DV by summing up the volume associated with advancing issues, and declining isses, respectively; this task is rather inaccurate in some exchanges, where a large discrepancy may exist within issues traded.
In other words, there're stocks trading for some dimes, and other stocks trading for many dozen bucks. So, by summing former volume data with the latter, would be like comparing apples with oranges, so to say.
I may appreciate FIRE to computer turnover volume (volume times price) for each advancing/declining issue, before getting AV and DV.
I wonder if someone would be able to help me.

Ciao!
MS Support  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2016 11:04:10 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi, I am not sure something like that would be possible, but it has been a while since I have looked at FIRE. You are using the Custom Indices feature or the Breadth tool for this? The problem is, unless there is some setting in the "Options" button that allows you to modify the calculations, by the time you hit "Calculate" you are getting the final figure, and you would need to multiple the Closing Price by the Volume prior to getting the final calculation. Based on this assumption, I think you would somehow have to multiply the Volume by the Price beforehand and then take this data and create security files out of the modified value. For example, you could run an exploration with C * V, but then you would have to take the exploration results and bring them into their own security files which would require Copy/Pasting these results and Converting this in the DownLoader. You could then run the Custom Indices calculations on this modified data. Hopefully that made sense :)
thanks 1 user thanked MS Support for this useful post.
ageitalia on 4/20/2016(UTC)
ageitalia  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2016 1:50:22 PM(UTC)
ageitalia

You're correct. The multplying of close for volume task should be run before getting the final summation.
Basically, I should instruct FIRE like following:

- take share A and compare today's close with yesterday one: if positive, add "1" to Advancing Issues stat and take c*v as Advancing Volume; otherwise, if negative, add "1" to Declining Issues and take c*v ad Declining Volume;

- ditto for every other securities contained in the folder specified;

- sum all "1s" and AV+DV and provide me the results.

The problem is that I have no a clear idea as how to proceed... :-(
MS Support  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 20, 2016 4:48:28 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
I am trying to think of something that might work, but it seems you would just be bypassing FIRE to accomplish it. For example, you could have an Exploration with the following formulas: Column A: If(ROC(C,1,$) > 0,1,If(ROC(C,1,$) < 0,-1,0)) Column B: C * V This would give you a report with the advancers (1.000) and decliners (-1.000) and the Close multiplied by the Volume in the next column over. You could Copy and Paste this exploration report data into Excel and use Excel to SUM up the -1 stocks and the +1 stocks, giving you a more accurate volume figure. Perhaps some sort of Column Totals is something we could add to the Explorer down the road as well.
thanks 1 user thanked MS Support for this useful post.
ageitalia on 4/23/2016(UTC)
ageitalia  
#5 Posted : Thursday, April 21, 2016 9:49:52 AM(UTC)
ageitalia

Yeah, that makes sense.

A column total would be a great improvement. Especially when pasting Explorer results in Excel spreadsheet, for non US users (int'l settings trouble are usually involved).

Anyway, I will conduct some test. Thanks...