logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
trendsca  
#1 Posted : Monday, December 3, 2012 12:10:05 AM(UTC)
trendsca

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Please, please bring back the ability to read third party data. I have a huge historical stock and futures database and I do routine historical studies on these charts, now MetaStock doesn't allow me to access them, it is a serious setback. So, my wish: please bring back the ability to read thirdy part data. I predict that MetaStock will lose lots of customers if they don't bring back this ability to read any offline data! Thank you very much!
John S  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 11:20:18 AM(UTC)
John S

We know this is causing pain for some. And it is something we are evaluating. But of course I can't make any promises.

Thanks for the feedback.
trendsca  
#3 Posted : Thursday, December 6, 2012 12:14:58 AM(UTC)
trendsca

Thank you for the effort, John! And please try hard for me, and many chartists like me. At a mininum, please provide the option (e.g., via a special plugin, for free or for a fee, doesn't matter, but please give us the choice) to provide backward compatibility. Without the ability to access third party data, it is difficult to envision that MetaStock will remain the software package of choice for many technical analysts like me to use it as the Gold Standard charting software, because it can't even access historical database! Thank you very much for your consideration!
henry1224  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2012 5:55:58 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
http://forum.equis.com/f...06/ShowThread.aspx#40306

You can only vote with your wallet!!!
trendsca  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 7, 2012 9:21:14 PM(UTC)
trendsca

I hear you, bro, this version 12 move is stupid, it is like

Killing the goose that lays the golden egg

Many third party software use the metastock data format as their default file format, contributing to the popularity of MetaStock! Now that MetaStock abandons this format, these software/data vendors will be forced to abandon this format?

MetaStock, wake up before it is too late! Yes, we know Thomson Reuters is experiencing some pressure from shareholders to prevent further decline in revenue, but you never want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg! Your industry-standard file format is the golden egg-laying goose! And it is painful to watch you killing it! Enough said!

oscarrob  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 17, 2013 10:12:35 AM(UTC)
oscarrob

I know this thread is ancient, but I wanted to add my two cents. I have Metastock 11 real time for E-signal. I tried the upgrade to 12. I dumped it for many reasons, probably already stated. I will not upgrade until I can use non-Reuters data (eg e-signal). So you lost a customer that has been a customer for many years (since DOS)
PTJim  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 1, 2014 6:45:32 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Without local access to third-party data in original MS format, I will never upgrade from my copies of MS 9.1 and 11 - they do everything I need to do and my data source keeps overhead trading costs down. Plus, my complex explorations run 5-10 times faster using my local data than the same on my father's MS11 with online-data subscription from MetaStock. That's the difference between a 4-minute run and a 40-minute run.

The only thing that would motivate me to upgrade (besides local data) is NOT more goofy black-box gadgets like Forecaster, but a modern and solid user interface. Almost every day I hit a formatting or usability problem related to Win95-level interface and code. Windows don't restore to the template layout properly, switching from Daily to Weekly display screws up inner-window layout formatting, wiping out all my notations and chart lines just because the template changed (and after all these years, why can't I change all Layout windows from Daily to Weekly with a single keypress instead of having to do each window one at a time?), the need to adjust templates outside Layouts to avoid future complications with a template, almost no bug-fix updates between major revisions etc. etc. And MetaStock is pretty hapless on a multi-monitor setup, common on trading desks these days.

MS 11, brought up to snuff for modern multiprocessor, multimonitor PCs, running Windows 7 or 8 on a robust code base, is what I'd like. Not expensive monthly data subscriptions, not goofy black-box "improvements".

Today's email offering a $49 "upgrade" to MS13, with other goodies tossed in as well (along with observing this poor, dying user forum that's been so vigorous and helpful in the past), tells me sales are pretty sluggish. I sincerely hope that MetaStock can survive MS 12/13 and has the resources to get it right and ship what users actually want rather than what the execs think will maximize recurring revenue. Obviously, that's not working out.
Laisze  
#8 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 5:00:08 PM(UTC)
Laisze

+1.

Beats me why anyone would want to "upgrade" from MS 11 to a data/speed-crippled buggy version.

nasdaqtrader  
#9 Posted : Saturday, August 2, 2014 6:12:14 PM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

I totally agree with you guys, I actually upgraded to both MS12 & 13 and I continue to use

MS 1 I feel more comfortable using MS11 Pro.

Now the other drawback with using MS 11 I cannot use it with Realtime data since now they changed over to Xenith realtime data. Also years ago I upgraded to MS Pro, and if you use EOD data you pay for the MS Pro upgrade, but if you onlu use eod data you cannot now use MS Pro.

But I paid for the MS 13 Pro upgrade price and when I log into my account it only shows MS 12 & 13 EOD and not MS 12 & 13Pro. I really think that is not right at all. MetaStock is really needs to regroup and see what the users really need to be successful in trading

I really could go on and have a long long list of things that need to be done real fast, I believe that a lot of users left and gone onto new software to use. Even in the forum there is really no activity going on at all. The only thing I see is the Add-on sales reappear ever few months years ago that only happened 1 a year around December.

Thank you for listening

Regards, Frank Koenig Trade Like a Pro Trend is your Friend
MS Support  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2014 7:45:02 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
nasdaqtrader wrote:

I totally agree with you guys, I actually upgraded to both MS12 & 13 and I continue to use

MS 1 I feel more comfortable using MS11 Pro.

Now the other drawback with using MS 11 I cannot use it with Realtime data since now they changed over to Xenith realtime data. Also years ago I upgraded to MS Pro, and if you use EOD data you pay for the MS Pro upgrade, but if you onlu use eod data you cannot now use MS Pro.

But I paid for the MS 13 Pro upgrade price and when I log into my account it only shows MS 12 & 13 EOD and not MS 12 & 13Pro. I really think that is not right at all. MetaStock is really needs to regroup and see what the users really need to be successful in trading

I really could go on and have a long long list of things that need to be done real fast, I believe that a lot of users left and gone onto new software to use. Even in the forum there is really no activity going on at all. The only thing I see is the Add-on sales reappear ever few months years ago that only happened 1 a year around December.

Thank you for listening

Hi Frank,

You can sign in to MetaStock Pro with an active Reuters DataLink account. However, you cannot install MS Pro without a XENITH data subscription because MetaStock Pro is installed through the Thomson Reuters Eikon software. Ultimately if you want to keep the software up-to-date, it would be better to install MetaStock 13 EOD instead of MetaStock 13 Pro (if you don't plan on subscribing to real-time). That said, both EOD and Pro require an active data feed to be able to use, so if you don't have DataLink or XENITH, being able to install MetaStock 13 would not benefit you.

I wouldn't equate forum activity to MetaStock activity. For many years the forum has been relatively quiet. I can't really get into the financials, but I will say that we continue to grow our user-base (both End-of-Day and Real-Time) every month. Bug fixes and enhancements are happening faster than ever since becoming a private company again. We also have a new data API that allows us to feed XENITH data into 3rd party applications that was just recently released and already has platforms it works with.

In short we are pretty happy with the progress we are making, but that certainly does not mean we cannot improve further and we will continue to make enhancements to our software.
Laisze  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:25:59 PM(UTC)
Laisze

MS Support wrote:
I wouldn't equate forum activity to MetaStock activity. For many years the forum has been relatively quiet.

It all begun circa 2006 when Equis inherited this forum from hard-working George and others. It then insisted on replacing a perfectly working PHP-based platform with this slooow, user-unfriendly, outdated and unwieldy forum that does not allow the posting of formula code (amongst other problems). The same corporate mentality that crippled MetaStock, did the same for this forum.

Of course, deleting posts (three gone just today) that criticize your broken business model, does nothing for either your credibility nor forum popularity.

MS Support wrote:
In short we are pretty happy with the progress we are making

Really? Then please take a look at this trend chart.

MS Support  
#12 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 10:11:53 AM(UTC)
MS Support

Laisze wrote:
MS Support wrote:
I wouldn't equate forum activity to MetaStock activity. For many years the forum has been relatively quiet.

It all begun circa 2006 when Equis inherited this forum from hard-working George and others. It then insisted on replacing a perfectly working PHP-based platform with this slooow, user-unfriendly, outdated and unwieldy forum that does not allow the posting of formula code (amongst other problems). The same corporate mentality that crippled MetaStock, did the same for this forum.

Of course, deleting posts (three gone just today) that criticize your broken business model, does nothing for either your credibility nor forum popularity.

MS Support wrote:
In short we are pretty happy with the progress we are making

Really? Then please take a look at this trend chart.

Incorrect. The forum was created by Marilyn and Patrick, both Equis employees at the time. I do find it a bit strange that someone clearly so unhappy with the forum or our business continues to hang around said business.

As for the 2 posts (specifically yours, no one else's) that were deleted, they were as mentioned in the reason for deletion, direct insults (one insulting an individual asking for formula help and the other simply a baseless blanket insult to our development team regarding multi-monitor support) and there was nothing remotely constructive in them. Also as mentioned in the deleted post, repeated violations of the basic rules of the forum will result in your account being banned.

Constructive criticism is always welcomed here. Insults and other ad hominem attacks will not be tolerated.
PTJim  
#13 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 3:25:43 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Glad to hear you're growing your user base and are at least somewhat-satisfied with progress - I hope that translates to enough revenue and eventually profits in the bank to put back into product development.

I suppose MS 14 will tell the tale; we'll see if the code base is rewritten for modern platforms and if the overwhelming demand for the return of local data (at least as an option) is addressed. Converting from CSV, by the way, is grossly insufficient since there are numerous third-party data sources supplying directly in original MS file format; anything less than that as an option will terminate any interest I have in upgrading. Then my choice will be to keep MS11/9.1 functional on whatever hardware I'm using or moving on to a different platform altogether.

I sincerely hope to keep using MetaStock, as up through version 11 it met my needs and I invested a lot of time and effort to make it my daily analysis platform.
MS Support  
#14 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 4:52:54 PM(UTC)
MS Support

PTJim wrote:
Glad to hear you're growing your user base and are at least somewhat-satisfied with progress - I hope that translates to enough revenue and eventually profits in the bank to put back into product development.

I suppose MS 14 will tell the tale; we'll see if the code base is rewritten for modern platforms and if the overwhelming demand for the return of local data (at least as an option) is addressed. Converting from CSV, by the way, is grossly insufficient since there are numerous third-party data sources supplying directly in original MS file format; anything less than that as an option will terminate any interest I have in upgrading. Then my choice will be to keep MS11/9.1 functional on whatever hardware I'm using or moving on to a different platform altogether.

I sincerely hope to keep using MetaStock, as up through version 11 it met my needs and I invested a lot of time and effort to make it my daily analysis platform.

Hi PTJim,

Product Development has grown more than any other department. We likely won't see a complete container rewrite for a while yet. However, we will be upgrading all the internal components through various phases of development. One of the cool things about the new Data API is that eventually this will be added as an extra layer into MetaStock. This basically means whatever data the Data API can support, MetaStock can support. While I can't say for certain whether the old MSFL (aka MetaStock Local Data format) will be supported, this does give us the flexibility to add additional data types more easily down the road.
Laisze  
#15 Posted : Thursday, August 7, 2014 5:59:58 PM(UTC)
Laisze

MS Support wrote:
Incorrect. The forum was created by Marilyn and Patrick, both Equis employees at the time.

Obviously you haven't been around at that time, otherwise you would know that unofficially George put as much effort into creating the original (and functional) forum as Marilyn and Patrick ever did - which by the way, were not involved in a capacity as Equis employees at the time. In fact, apart from M & P's efforts, the complete lack of input from Equis staff was quite noticeable during those golden days.

MS Support wrote:
I do find it a bit strange that someone clearly so unhappy with the forum or our business continues to hang around said business.

Please allow me to help dissipate that strange feeling inside you:

You are confusing what's left of the MetaStock community with what you nowadays call your "product", a flawed aberration of once-great software. You don't own the MetaStock community - the two are not one and the same.

As for myself, I'm only unhappy with how through your wanton actions bordering on sheer incompetence, you and your ilk have managed to decimate a once thriving MetaStock community.

Enjoy the ride to the bottom

MS Support  
#16 Posted : Friday, August 8, 2014 10:28:11 AM(UTC)
MS Support

Laisze wrote:
MS Support wrote:
Incorrect. The forum was created by Marilyn and Patrick, both Equis employees at the time.

Obviously you haven't been around at that time, otherwise you would know that unofficially George put as much effort into creating the original (and functional) forum as Marilyn and Patrick ever did - which by the way, were not involved in a capacity as Equis employees at the time. In fact, apart from M & P's efforts, the complete lack of input from Equis staff was quite noticeable during those golden days.

MS Support wrote:
I do find it a bit strange that someone clearly so unhappy with the forum or our business continues to hang around said business.

Please allow me to help dissipate that strange feeling inside you:

You are confusing what's left of the MetaStock community with what you nowadays call your "product", a flawed aberration of once-great software. You don't own the MetaStock community - the two are not one and the same.

As for myself, I'm only unhappy with how through your wanton actions bordering on sheer incompetence, you and your ilk have managed to decimate a once thriving MetaStock community.

Enjoy the ride to the bottom

Incorrect, I was here when the forum was first launched and a fairly active participant (given that my "Justin" login has almost 700 posts under that login and I haven't used it actively for quite some time.)

Since you can't seem to abide by the fairly simple and straightforward rules of the forum, we will have to unfortunately consider this a forced parting of ways. I wish you the best.