logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jshee921  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:46:43 PM(UTC)
jshee921

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

hi can anyone help?

After doing an exploration, eg New 52week highs , I would select the securities I like and store it into the Favourites instead of the local data folders.

My question is how to update the securities in the folders of the Favourites ?
I don't seem to be able to locate the files via the Downloader?
I can only locate the folders of the Local Data

kindly help.
Justin  
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2010 11:12:20 AM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Favorites is actually just a file in your MetaStock folder (named favorites.dta). This file just contains a link to the original item, it does not create its own copy.

For example, if you Add to Favorites from "Reuters DataLink", then the favorites update automatically via Data on Demand. If you Add to Favorites from a local data folder, then simply updating the original local data folder should work.
jshee921  
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:39:03 PM(UTC)
jshee921

I see.Then if that is the case my next question is this:
If I do an exploration of the whole TSX exchange and I come out with 100 stocks, and of the 100 stocks I only want to follow up on 50 then what is the fastest way of transferring these stocks to my local data folder?

Previously as I reviewed my 100 exploration results I just send all the stocks I like to the Favourites folder but to my surprise these stocks in the Favourite folders cannot be updated daily with my downloader.

transferring using the manual search and create from the downloader dialog box seems rather tedious especially with 50 stocks.

Kindly help
Justin  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2010 11:18:06 AM(UTC)
Justin

If the items were added to favorites via Data On Demand, then they should automatically update when you open them. If they were added to Favorites from Local Data, then updating the original local data folder should also update the items in favorites.

If you want to create local data from a data on demand scan, then it takes a bit of work, as you have to make a SYM file from the exploration report, which will involve some editing/cutting/pasting in Excel or something along those lines.

How exactly did you run the scan on the TSX? Was it from Local Data or Data On Demand?
jshee921  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2010 8:59:07 PM(UTC)
jshee921

I would run the exploration of the TSX exchange after updating the whole exchange via down loader.
I realize one shortcoming of metastock is that to run exploration through data on demand takes a very very long time especially if it involves the whole exchange of > 2000 stocks.

It would be nice if metastock develope a product upgrade where rapid explorations can be down quicky on the data on demand even with a fw thousand stocks.
Justin  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 19, 2010 9:19:20 PM(UTC)
Justin

Agreed, although I think it takes the client end and data end being developed hand-in-hand to really pull that off well. If you run an exploration from Local Data, you can highlight items in the report (shift-clicking or ctrl-clicking), then right-click on the highlighted items in the report and you can choose "Copy Security" which will copy these locally stored security files into a new folder of your choosing. You can also choose "Add to Favorites" from this same right-click menu if you'd rather just keep track of them virtually through favorites as opposed to making multiple copies of the same security on your hard drive.
jaysonwilson  
#7 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2010 10:56:43 PM(UTC)
jaysonwilson

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Suppose the current Favorites folder is C:\Windows\Favorites. Right-drag this folder to the location you want to use instead, and choose Move here from the menu that pops up when you drop the folder. If previous attempts to move the Favorites folder have gotten your system out of synch, you can navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. In the right-hand pane, the value named Favorites should contain the full path for the Favorites folder. Double-click it and change it to the correct location.

Thanks & Regards

Jayson Wilson

Normal 0 false false false EN-US X-NONE X-NONE /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

www.datarecoverysoftware.com

jaysonwilson  
#8 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2010 11:01:00 PM(UTC)
jaysonwilson

Suppose the current Favorites folder is C:\Windows\Favorites. Right-drag this folder to the location you want to use instead, and choose Move here from the menu that pops up when you drop the folder. If previous attempts to move the Favorites folder have gotten your system out of synch, you can navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\ Software\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders. In the right-hand pane, the value named Favorites should contain the full path for the Favorites folder. Double-click it and change it to the correct location.

Thanks & Regards

Jayson Wilson

jaysonwilson  
#9 Posted : Sunday, April 4, 2010 11:01:53 PM(UTC)
jaysonwilson

Thanks & Regards

Jayson Wilson