logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Winvestor  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 6, 2009 6:45:23 PM(UTC)
Winvestor

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hello, i'm new around here, and just getting started with Metastock.

Is it possible to conveniently export metastock securities data for multiple symbols to an excel file, and get the data for each symbol on a different worksheet within the same excel file? (without doing a lot of manual cut/copy/paste operations).

Thanks in advance

- Winvestor

wabbit  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2009 6:44:25 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi Winvestor,

Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, it is possible to output MS data to Excel, but it is a lot more complicated to output all the data on respective worksheets in a single workbook. You can get API-helpers to write to Excel, but none of these are natively available to be called from MS formula. You will need the MDK to be able to write your own library functions, to call the ExcelWrite functions. You can use the Downloader to expot MS data to individual Excel files, but that isn't what you asked for. In the end nothing is really convenient, so I guess the proper answer to your question should have been no, there is no convenient way to do it.

Instead of taking the data to the Excel, why not take the Excel functions to MS?

Hope this helps.

wabbit [:D]

Winvestor  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2009 10:25:38 AM(UTC)
Winvestor

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Thank you Wabbit, it certainly helps. I will take your suggestion and play around with taking the Excel functions to Metastock. It will probably take me days to weeks though..

Two more questions
- what is MDK?
- is there a simple way to read Metastock Master, Emaster, and Xmaster files? When i use dowloader to export data to individual excel files, i get a bunch of files with numerical filenames, and within those files the individual stocks are referred to with a numerical code rather than the stock symbol. So at this point i have no idea which stock symbol corresponds to which stock number and which filename. Therefore i need to construct an index or lookup table of all this information, and i'm guessing the info i need is in the master files?

Winvestor
Justin  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 9, 2009 12:52:45 PM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

FYI, regarding the MDK (MetaStock Developer's Kit):

https://www.metastock.com/Partners/Developers.aspx