logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kingz  
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 4, 2008 6:26:15 AM(UTC)
kingz

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi,

I'm downloading intraday data from a free site - as .csv - I then am able to convert it to a
metastock .dat file using the downloader - but cant seem to open it with Metastock itself and think its needs to be in smart chart format?

It reads fine in the downloader - how do I get round this?

Cheers

kings
joetrade69  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 17, 2008 1:25:46 PM(UTC)
joetrade69

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Are you using MetaStock EOD or Pro? EOD will not recognize intraday data files. The Downloader is the same in EOD and Pro, so it can recognize intraday data.
tailwag  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2008 2:57:14 AM(UTC)
tailwag

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi, I'm new and also have a similar problem, I have Metastock Version 9.1 and can get daily info from my online broker (Commsec), however I had some trouble and lost everything and setup on a new computer, virtually from scratch and had to go looking for a historical datasource.

I found a website that supplied it all in zip files, month by month, and when I unzipped the files for the last 12 years, they were all in .txt files.

I then figured out how to use the Downloader to convert some of the files into Metastock files and could view them, however when I went to do the next year, it gave me an error limit exceeded error message. I went into the options and made the error number 1,000 but that didn't seem to help me. So I am stuck with just the first 6 months of 2008 and nothing else :-(

Another issue is, can anyone tell me how to get charts to open in Candlesticks, of my colour choice instead of having to do it manually, can I set the defaut somehow?

If you know where I can get (a source) of archive data that seemlessly goes straight into Metastock without having to be converted, or if I have to convert, a source that others have reliably tried and used successfully, then I would be very grateful.

Thanks for reading this far. If you can point me to a useful utility source for converters etc. as well as free archival data, that would be great. Thanks heaps, in advance.

joetrade69  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:38:06 PM(UTC)
joetrade69

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Hi Tailwag,

You can increase the error limit to 25000. Many times this will allow the conversion to complete, before erroring out. You can then see the error message for the file.
My guessis something in toe formatting of the source file or a simple option.
Support can help you get going again.

Depending on the type of data you are looking for, you can probably get all of the historical data downloaded in one session, from Reuters DataLink (for probably less than a dollar a day).

As for setting defaults for your charts...

Open a chart that you have already formatted and looks the way you wish all other charts to look.

Right click in the chart

Select Save as Default Template

Click Yes to replace the existing one.

All NEW charts that you open from this point on will look the way you want, because they were built from the new default template. All charts that have been previously opened with the old template, will still look the same. You can get around this by deleting the existing Smart Charts, so the program will build a new Smart Chart from your new default template, the next time you open up that Smart Chart.

To delete your existing Smart Charts:

Close all existing charts in MetaStock (File | Close All)

Minimize MetaStock

Open the Windows Start menu

Select Find | Files or folders (or Search | For files or folders in some operating systems)

In the named field, type in MSSmart

In the Look-in field, select the C: drive (or the drive where your data is stored)

Click Find Now (or Search Now)

Select all folders found and delete them

Restore MetaStock

Open the File menu

Select Open

Select a security

Click Open

All charts should open and look like your default template.