logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
slipperx  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2007 6:53:50 AM(UTC)
slipperx

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I keep several folders containing local security files. I also keep sector and sub-sector folders together with some groups of stocks I made for myself like Housebuilders and so on and from these I calculate folder averages to show relative strengths and weaknesses. Anyway the point is a security will be located in several local folders.

The problem I have is that the Downloader is the most useless programme at keeping one's data properly organised. It is a major task to do the most simple things unless someone knows different.

I download nightly EOD data from Reuters. I inspect the collection report and then try to delete securities that have moved to the Pink Sheets, adjust symbol changes and so on. If I see a security has moved to the pink sheets how do I find it easily and delete it in its several folders. There is no find facility that lets you search for the symbol and then simply delete the results. I am going to Open-Find in the Downloader and then manually listing each location and then going to Delete and Browsing to the folder where the security is - searching for it in the list again and then deleting it. It takes an age - is there an easier way?

If I want to change a symbol I have to use Open-Find and open each data sheet, change the symbol and save clicking OK to teh warning boxes - again a right pain - is there an easier way?

Why is there no facility to automate (in part at least) changes to data that are reported from Reuters? Could there not be a facility to find all locations of a Symbol and delete them in a simple way, and to change a symbol in a simple way, and to move a security from one folder to another (needed if it changes sector group), and whilst on sectors I note that there are many errors in the Symbol Database as to which symbols are in which sector. Does anyone ever check at Equis?

If anyone knows of a utility to help with data file management please let me know as it is taking way too long at the moment. It would be really useful if Equis provided a To-Do list in order to keep data up to date but I suppose they realise the faults in their software and don't want to bring attention to it. One would have thought after so many years of upgrades this sort of thing would have been tackled long ago. Maybe it's just me!

Thanks

slipperx

wabbit  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2007 8:55:28 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
slipperx,

There have been many, many threads on this forum about the importance of finding a good data provider.

Good data providers not only provide clean, error-free data, they also take care of listings and de-listings, splits and consolidations, have a great download and update tools, allow you to create custom lists to augmnent their ready-made lists etc.

If you are trading ASX, US and/or SGX stocks, then I strongly suggest you have a look at PremiumData to provide your data for you.

See : http://www.premiumdata.net/
*PP  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2007 9:15:54 AM(UTC)
*PP

slipperx  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2007 10:05:20 PM(UTC)
slipperx

Hi wabbit

Thanks for your reply. I use Reuters for downloading my end of day data and have not had too many issues with the data integrity. The problem I have is that the data once downloaded into local data files needs to be further manipulated where the symbol has changed, the security has moved industry group or sector, or the symbol is no longer valid. What I'm really after is something that will enable me to manipulate the local data files, simply find select and delete files, simply move files from one location to another, and simply change symbols. I find it bizarre that the download has no find utility that will enable you to search for the locations of a symbol, choose those symbols and make changes to them, is not even possible to delete them using the find utility which is located in the download open dialogue. Therefore even if you have a list of symbols that have changed their ticker, a list of deleted symbols etc., you still have to go a really roundabout route to make the changes to your local security data sets. I can't help thinking that with all the users metastock have, but there isn't a simpler way. I agree premium data is a good data supplier but I do not think they have a utility to manipulate the metastock database local files unless you know different.
What we need is a proper utility to manipulate the data, in other words a little money spent on improving the download which is woefully inadequate.
slipperx

slipperx  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2007 10:11:18 PM(UTC)
slipperx

hi pp
thanks for the latest I have already downloaded that utility, but all it currently does is delete files had not been updated, and I already have that utility using a program called Spyglass. What is needed is a utility to locate a symbol in various locations (much like the find utility in the download open dialogue, which finds locations of the various symbols but does not let you do anything with them except open them, whereas I want to delete them or rename them or change the symbol). Also utility to move symbols between folders will be useful. I know it is physically possible to do this using the download but there are so many steps it makes the process extremely time-consuming. Since maintaining one's data is an essential task I would have thought that over the years a quiz night spent a little more time developing the downloader

slipperx.

wabbit  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 23, 2007 11:30:25 PM(UTC)
wabbit

slipperx wrote:
I agree premium data is a good data supplier but I do not think they have a utility to manipulate the metastock database local files unless you know different.

I do know different.

You dont actually have to "move" anything if you use the Premium Data tools. You simply create lists using a text editor (like NotePad or similar) and then at the press of a button on their appication, data will be moved into and out of the custom folders as required. The next time you download data, the data in each of the custom folders will be updated too, without you having to do anything.

Take their 30 day free trial and give it a go... what have you got to lose? I htink you will find their product will simplify all the things that you are curerently attepting throught the DownLoader.

wabbit [:D]

*PP  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, April 24, 2007 1:48:30 AM(UTC)
*PP

Slipperx,

Wabbit is right, yesterday i downloaded the premium data program for a free trial and i`ve come to the conclusion that it is better than my current data provider and not just that but slightly cheaper. It changes the symbols automaticaly, it moves the delisted securities in to a separate folder automaticaly, u can create custom lists and it already has a lot of customs lists already made. ....i know about premium data for a long time but never until yesterday give it a try and it seems that it was a mistake.

slipperx  
#8 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2007 5:48:08 AM(UTC)
slipperx

Hi Wabbit

Well Premium Data has prooved remarkably better than Reuters which is appalling in comparason so I thoroughly concur with you and thanks for the information. I also need Uk data End of Day any ideas on that?

Regards

Slipperx

wabbit  
#9 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2007 6:15:59 AM(UTC)
wabbit

I dont trade all these other excahnges around the world so Norgate Premium Data suit my requirements.

You might like to try JustData for other exchanges around the world: http://www.justdata.com.au/Products/BodhiFreeway/product_list.htmand they have no major issues with the downloads or the data. Give them a try?

wabbit [:D]

slipperx  
#10 Posted : Monday, May 14, 2007 7:39:19 AM(UTC)
slipperx

Hi Wabbit

Thanks for that - I will give them a try.

Regards
slipperx

Moderate  
#11 Posted : Thursday, August 14, 2008 3:32:10 PM(UTC)
Moderate

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I agree with you have you found an efficient way of dealing with symbol changes on stocks and stocks within sectors? Also, whats your Skype ID maybe we can create a group to talk about this. Send me a private message to chat.
Moderate