logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Stuart_Thom  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:37:40 PM(UTC)
Stuart_Thom

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I have been creating composite charts in the Downloader ie Spread between CBOT mar08 Wheat and CBOT MAr 08 Corn. I have no problem creating he charts but i can only save them in the Data on Demand cache. Every time i switch off my pc these charts disappear and i have to recreate them again every day. Does anyone know how to create and save composite cahrts that will not disappear every day?

hayseed  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 21, 2007 11:30:14 AM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey stuart..... i might not be completely following you here, but have you tried to first create a new security, in your case it's a future but really it's same principle, for the corn and wheat but place them in one of your local data folders.... then create a composite from those...

that should place your composite in a folder other than cache....h

Stuart_Thom  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 25, 2007 11:23:45 PM(UTC)
Stuart_Thom

Thanks hayseed i am trying that - will see when the arket opens tomorrow if it works but it makes good sense. Thanks a lot and i hope u had a great Christmas and have good trading in the new year. if it works i will let u know.
Stuart_Thom  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 1:46:45 AM(UTC)
Stuart_Thom

ok hayseed tried to save the securities in metastock data in a new folde but it does not update - the only folder tht seems to update is the data on demand cache. is there somewhere else that i can create a folder for these securities that does update?

thanks

Stuart

Justin  
#5 Posted : Thursday, December 27, 2007 7:53:51 PM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Hello,

I believe we've spoken quite a few times in email. The DataOnDemand Cache was never designed for composites. The only reliable way to build a composite is through Local Data created through the DownLoader.

hayseed  
#6 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 5:44:31 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey stuart..... my error, was thinking eod.... it appears your wanting to monitor in real time.....

the created composite using local data folders should update once we do our daily download.... then refresh the chart if it's open..... but that's eod.....

couple thoughts for realtime.....

there is a setting for the length of time to keep securities in the cache, under tools.... is that setting greater than 0.... would increasing it help.....

you can create an indicator using the 'security' function , which is the realtime symbol, that will update in realtime..... if you applied that indicator to any chart it would plot the composite, but in line form....

there are other things you can accomplish for realtime using the 'security' function.....

it's quite possible i'm still not understanding exactly what your interested in, i'm not familiar with commodity futures or just what you guys chart ...... i'll look into it more and post back if anything comes to mind......h

Stuart_Thom  
#7 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 10:50:06 PM(UTC)
Stuart_Thom

Hi ok thanks can you give me the method to create Local Data thru the DownLoader?

Stuart_Thom  
#8 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2007 11:06:42 PM(UTC)
Stuart_Thom

Thanks hayseed i am looking for that setting in tols but i dont see it - is it in metastock or the downloader?

hayseed  
#9 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 7:55:37 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey stuart..... from the top bar, under tools -> options -> esignal -> then look for the setting.... if your using qc it should be under qc instead of esignal......

you can open intraday charts when meta is in the offline mode..... and change between the various intraday timeframes including custom timeframes....

when offline, i always open the intraday chart from the history folder..... you can also create intraday local dat files for securities..... which would allow you to create local intraday composite charts.... h

Stuart_Thom  
#10 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2007 11:53:01 PM(UTC)
Stuart_Thom

Thank again hayseed let me plod along here and see if i come right i created a new folder in metastock data and created the securities in that folder and enabled it for live update of data. I am building the composites in there now so i will see when we have some acion next week if they work. They dont seem to be able to load historical data so i assume they will start building from next week. Thanks for the help if u ever come to South Africa i will buy you a pint of the worlds finest lager. have a good trading new year.
Justin  
#11 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2007 7:09:19 AM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

This is correct, Local Intraday Securities do not backfill history. Because of this you need to make sure that the MetaStock File Server/Equis Data Server are always running during the market hours, or you will end up with gaps in the data.
hayseed  
#12 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2007 7:40:10 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey stuart.... as pyradius mentioned, along with you, local intraday securities will not load intraday historical data automatically...... we can manually load/download it however, only takes a minute once you've done it a couple times....

those gaps pyradius mentioned are almost enevitable..... once a gap has been discovered we would need to reload or merge all intraday historical data.... it was those gaps that convinced me not to maintain local intraday files..... if i ever need them i just create new ones or reload data into old ones.....

somewhere i've posted the how to's, can't seem to locate it but still lookin..... be expectin to go thru a pint the first couple times you try it..... after that it's downhill......

not sure who's your data vendor, but qc seems to have to most intraday historical data available..... h

Stuart_Thom  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, January 1, 2008 1:09:31 AM(UTC)
Stuart_Thom

Thanks lads i am now creating all the securities i need and will let them update daily when th markets are open until you find the post relating to historical data, then i will carry on.

Thanks to both u guys

Stu