logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Tjarko  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:34:11 PM(UTC)
Tjarko

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi,

I've just received my new copy of MS 10. Everything is working fine, except that I can't figure out how to test weekly charts in the System Tester. The periodicity is 'daily' and I don't know how to change it in 'weekly'.

Hope somebody can help.

Tjarko

mstt  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:21:06 PM(UTC)
mstt

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)

Tjarko

The system periodicity (to be used with EOD or intraday data) is set at the time the data is loaded. The test periodicity must be set when starting from scratch (having no data loaded). Once loaded the periodicity cannot be changed.

When selecting a new test portfolio, the Periodicity option at the bottom left of the Add Securities window will be enabled. Mark the required securities, and then select the wanted periodicity.

Once beyond this step the periodicity cannot be changed. That applies to both the existing portfolio and when adding more securities. All securities must be removed and the load process started anew if a periodicity different from the default or selected one is required. Otherwise the option will be disabled. The default periodicity is usually the same as the underlying data

Roy

MetaStock Tips & Tools

Tjarko  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2007 2:45:27 PM(UTC)
Tjarko

Roy,

Thank you for your quick answer. But it is not what I wanted to hear! I like to take it easy, so I use weekly data a lot. It was so easy in MS 6.52....

Perhaps it is possible to also install MS 6.52 on my laptop, and do the testing of weekly data with that version on the same dataset.

Tjarko

mstt  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 20, 2007 3:10:22 PM(UTC)
mstt

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)

Tjarco

I think you must have misunderstood me. When I said "is set at the time data is loaded" I meant "is set at the time data is loaded for the simulation using the Add Securites window". It's not quite as flexible as MS 6.52 but it's not that bad. Really. You can still switch between EOD and weekly periodicity but it's not quite a one-click operation. If you're using the same system for both EOD and weekly data why not make a copy of the system, use EOD with one copy and weekly with the other. Both systems will still use the same EOD database as they would if you did the same sort of thing with MS 6.52.

Roy

MetaStock Tips & Tools

Tjarko  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 21, 2007 1:14:59 PM(UTC)
Tjarko

Roy,

I've got it! I doubleclicked to fast on de security that I selected so I never noticed the well hidden button for changing the periodicity. Not as easy as it used to be, but do-able.

Thanks!

Tjarko

smg  
#6 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2007 12:41:15 AM(UTC)
smg

Roy and Tjarco,

Life is even more easier - we do not need to make a copy of the system for using one for Daily and another for Weekly. We do not even need to have a separate Simulation for Daily and Weekly. Just select the security for Daily test and then ADD the same security AGAIN and change the periodicity to weekly - so now ONE simulation will run test for both periodicities.

Happy testing,

Regards

SMG