logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
amory  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2007 2:24:49 AM(UTC)
amory

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Firstly, I know how to delete via Downloader.

what bothers me, is that there are far too many securities in the database, mainly thanks to options & warrants.

I have been trying to keep the number down to about 6000, by means of running thru individual letters. is there some way one could instruct Downloader to delete the 5 & 6-digit securities from database all in one go?

thank you.

*PP  
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2007 2:54:50 AM(UTC)
*PP

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

amory,

Depending on what securities u want to delete try to make a Exploration and add all securities fom all folders in there (spyglass would help because it can make this automated),run explorarion and that will list all securities that match ur criteria in a report. Open Exploration report Select the securities u want to delete , right click and select delete securities. That will delete the securities form the hard disk. This is the only way that i have found to make this job fast.

Cheers

amory  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2007 3:24:45 AM(UTC)
amory

thanks for reply, *pp.

<< Select the securities u want to delete , right click and select delete securities. >>

how do I tell it that I want to delete all the securities with 5 or 6 digits in them??

if I need to select, I can do that via Downloader, but it's heckuva slow!

*PP  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2007 6:05:14 AM(UTC)
*PP

What do u mean by 5 or 6 digits in them? If u are reffering to the symbol lenght then u could get the symbol lenght for each security using a function from tradesim.dll or debry.dll. Those dlls have a function wich will allow u to get the symbol lenght.

ExtFml( "TradeSim.GetSymbolLength")

ExtFml( "DeBry.GetTickerLength")

but u must have one of this dlls. Then is very easy do do what u want by creating a filter in ur exploration like

ExtFml( "DeBry.GetTickerLength")>=5

this will list in your report only those securities which have a ticker lenght >=5 and u can delete them all at once in the way i hve explained before.

Hope that helps

Cheers

amory  
#5 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:19:46 AM(UTC)
amory

how do I go about getting one of these DLL's? I noticed you have posted a link to them in reply to another question, but that link lists quite a number of them. which one should one download?

thank you

*PP  
#6 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2007 3:37:20 AM(UTC)
*PP

Armory,

Those two dlls unfortunately are not availiable to download from what i know, they come with Tradesim or Spyglass (curently called "Fire"). I don`t know of any other dll that alllows to extract symbol lenght but maby others can help

Cheers

amory  
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2007 4:35:46 AM(UTC)
amory

thanks for your help, *pp! I shall be looking into all this & give it some more thought. fortunately, there is no great urgency involved.

best regards ..... amory

wabbit  
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:10:31 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
amory,

Who is your data provider?

A good data provider will provide you the means and methods to distrubute your data in any way you like, and even create custom distributions. Use Norgate Premium Data service for my data and highly recommend their products. If you want to chat more about this, you knwo how to get in touch.

Hope this helps.

wabbit [:D]

amory  
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2007 4:46:36 PM(UTC)
amory

Thanks Wabbit! I'm with Paritech. you are quite right, they are the ones I should ask, but I'm putting it on the backburner just for now.
wabbit  
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2007 5:56:21 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Amory,

I used to be with Paritech before I changed to Norgate Premium Data, so I know about their data tol called "DataDirector" which you will use to distribute your data into Equities, Options, Warrants etc folders. It will take about five minutes to set up your folders as you wish. Check out their help page for more: http://www.paritech.com.au/support/datadirector/faq_dd2/
amory  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2007 4:49:28 AM(UTC)
amory

Wabbit, I did all that & guess what, I nearly died. when I accessed stocks via the newly-created Equities, Warrants, Options folder, the equity-stocks appeared as one continuous list (i.e. not separated by alphabetical folders). so far so good. but to my utter horror, they then came up last-day-only all previous history absent! luckily, I am still able to access them normally the oldfashioned way, so there is no harm done.

why do I worry about it in the first place, does anyone know? do you think I should simply delete the new folder, because it's not much use without a history? I don't mind going back to how it was before.

thank you for your kind advice

wabbit  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, May 15, 2007 5:05:12 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Amory,

You have to distribute (copy) the data from your existing database into the newly created folders. I am pretty certain this information is mentioned somewhere on the Paritech site? You only have to copy the history once, so once set up, each night when you download the data it will update all of the lists and folders.

See : http://www.paritech.com.au/support/datadirector/faq_dd2/history.asp