logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StorkBite  
#21 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:31:49 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Systematic... I'm flustered... I tried it again yesterday and it worked for me. Maybe the Equis Support team could help you sort it out. If you ever do get it going, please give me an update as to what it took... I'm interested, but stuck. support@equis.com (801) 265-9998
Systematic  
#22 Posted : Wednesday, November 30, 2005 5:50:36 PM(UTC)
Systematic

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

g stockman, Thanks for your assistance. I'll follow your suggestion and see what the Equis support team might have to offer. I'll let you know if they provide a solution.
Systematic  
#23 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2005 8:11:59 PM(UTC)
Systematic

g stockman, I recently hooked up with MS tech support and discovered the source of the problem. I had been approaching this with local downloaded data when, in fact, the DataonDemand feature must used for this purpose. I expect that will solve the immediate problem. I have created a few test files that I will attempt to update with today's market results tonight. This actually leads to another question. I want to be able to update Excel files with locally stored MS data. So I am wondering if you are aware of any utility program that has been written for this purpose. Ideally, this program would: 1. Accept a (potentially long) list of ticker symbols (or perhaps paths that point to the MS data files); 2. Create a new Excel spreadsheet (or worksheet) for each ticker symbol; 3. Open the corresponding MS files, copy the data and paste it into those spreadsheets; and 4. Update those same spreadsheets when future data become available (not necessarily automatically). Do you know of any (Windows based) program that performs these functions?
StorkBite  
#24 Posted : Monday, December 5, 2005 9:21:57 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Ho.ho.ho... Wow S! That's quite the Christmas list. No, I don't know of any commercial program that will do this, but if you know your way around VBA it shouldn't be any sweat to create your wishlist functions. The trick will be to open the existing MS files for retrieving your data. I will put it on my 'when there's nothing left to do' list and try to get you started, but it will probably be until after the New Year. Yes, it can all be done. For sure. But I just can't whip it out lickety split... not enought brain cells... or time. LOL! Please, remind me in January if someone else doesn't come through first. I'll be more than happy to help out...
Systematic  
#25 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2005 3:02:40 AM(UTC)
Systematic

g stockman, As you have suggested, the real question is how to read data from an MS file. This gets to the root of the issue: What is the format of an MS file? Is this public information or is it a proprietary format? If it is the former, then it is simply a matter of programming, otherwise.........
StorkBite  
#26 Posted : Tuesday, December 6, 2005 4:10:31 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

The data will have to be read using the MSFL API, I'm pretty sure. I want to make this a project, but I'm being pulled in a million different directions right now. :-(