logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StorkBite  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:18:06 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
How often is the database exported (updated) into the appropriate RSS feed?
Patrick  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:19:59 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
It should be done automatically why?
StorkBite  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:22:45 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

yea, yea... automatically... I knew that! :fish: I don't know what the fish is good for, but I wanted to use it... before M killed it too! :P Really, how often are the automatic updates? Every hour? Every 30 minutes? Every day?
Patrick  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:27:47 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Well ... It's kind of automatic ... :P :oops: you know like everytime you call the script it gets the most current data ... Kinda thing :lol: 8) Patrick :mrgreen:
Patrick  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:31:53 PM(UTC)
Patrick

If you could see me at my desk, I just cracked myself up :yahoo: Thanks for putting me in a good mood g, you know I'm just teasing :boire:
StorkBite  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:36:26 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

R U trying to make me cuss? :twisted: You know that I have no idea about how phpBB is envoking the script... my experience with other forum software is that it is done automatically based on a timer variable (in minutes) that specifies when the database will be polled, the data formatted, and written to the new file. Sometimes webmasters will slow this down because their servers can't handle the extra queries that are involved. Anyway, the reason that I'm asking is because the feeds that are present now are nearly a couple of hours old. Also, on the XML formatting for the RSS feeds, the <TITLE> and <DESCRIPTION> tags need to be specific, not generic. e.g., the main page lists "Metastock online group" that is fine... but, the other pages need to be unique. Maybe something like this: "MetaStock Formulae" "MetaStock Tips and Tricks" << existing blog "MetaStock External Functions"
Patrick  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 5:40:40 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Quote:
my experience with other forum software is that it is done automatically based on a timer variable (in minutes) that specifies when the database will be polled, the data formatted, and written to the new file
You are right and I understood what you meant, I just wanted to be smart ass :goofy:
Quote:
Anyway, the reason that I'm asking is because the feeds that are present now are nearly a couple of hours old.
You might be talking about the All feed, right? In any case I have setup that feed to only grab new topics instead of all posts. I believe the the other feeds are setup to grab all posts, not just topics ...
Quote:
Also, on the XML formatting for the RSS feeds, the <TITLE> and <DESCRIPTION> tags need to be specific, not generic.
Never paid attention to that, I will change it. I agree it should be customized. Patrick :mrgreen:
StorkBite  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 6:02:35 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Quote:
I just wanted to be smart ass
Me too! :crylol: <<< I'm with stupid! I am talking about the main feed, because I haven't tested the others yet. If the feed is set to update with every new post, it's not doing it. You'd have to set it up from a user's end to see what I mean.
Patrick  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 6:54:35 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Well there are forae ... :P ... That are not part of the pool to pick from and some other settings that might explain what you are saying ... What are you trying to get at?
StorkBite  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 7:32:50 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

R U dating a blonde? Someone is rubbing off on you! :P What I'm seeing is that the main feed-- the one labeled all topics-- is not updating very quickly. I mean, I haven't put it through any scientific tests, but even if I manually update my links the topics are the same for a long time. Maybe for as much as a couple of hours. I expected it to update a little quicker than that, but W H A T E V E R! LOL! It was never really important, just a question of curiosity. You know, this sorta turned into one of those topics that was just fun to stick with, I guess! Speaking of blondes... Did you hear about the blonde coyote? It got stuck in a trap, chewed off three legs and was still stuck. Ya'll remember... I'm allergic to tomatoes.
Patrick  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 7:37:36 PM(UTC)
Patrick

[quote=Topics" ... not new posts .... If you want I can change it to grab all the newest posts rather than all the newest topics ... :lol:
StorkBite  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:36:50 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Ok... crap, the communication barrier is thick today. I even got scolded for sending inappropriate emails to the boss. Oh well, maybe I better sign off and go take a nap. :slwwp: My immediate response would be to think that it should track posts, not threads. Maybe that'd be too much. I'd need to check it out both ways to get an opinion. Can you set up a test feed for all posts and just give me a link without adding it to the board?
Patrick  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 9:56:29 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Sounds good ... I will setup a test feed and send you the link when it's done. Thanks for the Halloween pic, I had a good kick out of it. Is that the one you got in trouble for? :lol:
Patrick  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 10:48:27 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Well I customized the title and description for each feed, don't tell anyone but I setup a test feed for all posts for you : http://forum.equis.com/rss_test.php Let me know what you think ... Patrick :mrgreen:
StorkBite  
#15 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:36:40 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Yea, the halloween pic... and others... don't know if I ever shared the pet pictures with you. Whatever... it was still funny... unless I get a call from HR. 8-[
StorkBite  
#16 Posted : Tuesday, October 25, 2005 11:52:28 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

test...