logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RUAGOODP  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 26, 2005 3:38:06 PM(UTC)
RUAGOODP

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Hi all, Has anybody got any experience with this software with metastock? I am wondering whether to get the standard version or the professional version. Is the professional version worth the extra $350? Cheers Norman
wabbit  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2005 8:39:28 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Norman, If you can hold off making a decision until September, then wait until Jose gets back from his holidays and drill his brain. I know he uses TradeSim and has much to say (good and bad) about both MS System Tester and TradeSim. In the mean time, have you though about doing some simple analysis yourself in Excel or similar? wabbit :D
RUAGOODP  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2005 9:28:51 AM(UTC)
RUAGOODP

Hi Wabbit, I have heard of the problems with metastock 8.0 system tester. So at the moment I use Roy's Trade equity formulae which are pretty good but cumbersome. Cheers Norman
wabbit  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2005 9:37:35 AM(UTC)
wabbit

I agree that Roy's (excellent) work is cumbersome... but he wrote that code for MS6.52 all those years ago! and it is still as valid now as it was then! It was written to deal with some of the limitations of the system tester (as it was then) and although things have improved over the years, there are still a few issues extant with the system tester. Tom Sprunger did some good work to identify these faults and find the work arounds. I posted a copy of his fine work: http://forum.equis.com/viewtopic.php?t=1021 Mind you, I dont know anyone who has a trading system backtester that is "perfect" wabbit :D (Note to self - Business idea: make one and get it right - then retire mega-rich!)
RUAGOODP  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2005 10:19:54 AM(UTC)
RUAGOODP

Thanks for that wabbit. I will wait for jose to return Cheers Norman PS thanks for that article by Tom
rolfwidmer  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2005 12:21:13 PM(UTC)
rolfwidmer

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hello Wabbit I play now for some weeks with the idea to build a system tester incorporating several things which are not provided by others. So my basic question to you is: what is "perfect" , i.e. what is - besides real bugs in the existing ones - missing and should be part of a new one? Rolf
wabbit wrote:
I agree that Roy's (excellent) work is cumbersome... but he wrote that code for MS6.52 all those years ago! and it is still as valid now as it was then! It was written to deal with some of the limitations of the system tester (as it was then) and although things have improved over the years, there are still a few issues extant with the system tester. Tom Sprunger did some good work to identify these faults and find the work arounds. I posted a copy of his fine work: http://forum.equis.com/viewtopic.php?t=1021 Mind you, I dont know anyone who has a trading system backtester that is "perfect" wabbit :D (Note to self - Business idea: make one and get it right - then retire mega-rich!)
wabbit  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 27, 2005 1:22:49 PM(UTC)
wabbit

That is the million dollar question rolfwidmer, "what is perfect?" Even if you combined all of the functions of MS System Tester, TradeSim and all of the other commercial products available, I would doubt whether the system tester would be perfect. I haven't actually sat down and thought out exactly what I would include in a new product, as I have already mentioned on numerous occasions I dont even use the existing system that often because I am not a mechanical trader, but I would probably look at things like: [list:9937a833f2] [*:9937a833f2]simple replication of the buy and sell process to mimick what happens in real life [*:9937a833f2]deep statistical analysis and monte carlo simulation [*:9937a833f2]application of random variability in the trade execution [*:9937a833f2]slippage must be taken into account on all trades [*:9937a833f2]I am not against optimisation per se, but I would like to see it implemented as a logical function rather than data mining and pattern matching [*:9937a833f2]I would probably change the coding language too! [/list:u:9937a833f2] I suppose if I had more time I could think of a few more things to add. If I was able to create a system tester that accurately mimicked real life trading then I should be able to create a real life trading system to mimick system tester trading?! Wouldnt that be nice? wabbit :D