logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SteveB  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 9, 2005 3:26:19 PM(UTC)
SteveB

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I'm trying to add Indices and some Market Indicators to my Metastock Data in Pro 8.0. I use Reuters to update only EOD for now if that makes a difference. The symbol Database provided the following symbols for the Indices: DJIA - .DJI NASDAQ - .COMPQ S&P500 - .SPX but this came back as symbol unkown and would not update them. I then changed the . to $ but got the same thing. It also gives me the following for the Market Indicators I'm trying to use: X.NASD-A NASDAQ Advancing Issues & Advancing Volume X.NASD-H NASDAQ New Highs X.NASD-L NASDAQ New Lows X.NYSE-A NYSE Advancing Issues & Advancing Volume X.NYSE-H NYSE New Highs X.NYSE-L NYSE New Lows but all these also will not update. Am I doing something wrong or do I need other symbols? Steve B
hayseed  
#2 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2005 6:07:35 AM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey steve.... sylvain had just asked pretty much the same question.... it might be possible to have a reuters data plan that does not include them..... what you described were my results before i subscribed to them.....h
SteveB  
#3 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2005 5:30:48 PM(UTC)
SteveB

Hayseed, You are right. I subscribe to the stock data only right now. I thought that included the other info I was looking for but I have found that is a 9.95/month add-on. It appears that I can not add that to my account from their site unless I open a separate account so I have emailed them requesting the addition. Thanks for the help! One other thing...my Metastock version is Pro 8.0 RT for esignal and I see that you use esignal. I use mine as EOD only for now due to the fact that I use Ameritrade as a broker at this time. I have active trader status with Ameritrade which puts me on their Apex level. With Apex, I get Streamer which includes real time bid/ask/current prices , real time level II quotes, real time streaming news, Advanced Analyzer, and a few other things...all at no charge. Advanced Analyzer is a charting program which is great in the beginning but you quickly outgrow it as you learn more. BUT, it is also real time which makes it handy and it's the reason why I use Metastock as only EOD for now as I have this for free. I use Meta for all my work and scanning but during the day I use AA to monitor the charts intraday. I would love to use only Metastock and not switch back and forth but esignal seems a little pricey for something I am getting for free now. Do you see any advantage to me dropping Ameritrade and going with esignal? Are you happy with the service you get from esignal? Also, does esignal offer brokerage services or just data? I could not find on their site where they do and, if I would need to get a broker service on top of esignal...I might be better off staying with Ameritrade?? Lastly, what is your opinion of Ameritrade? I am starting to get the impression that they are mostly for the beginner or part-time trader and then people generally move up to something else as they advance. Is this your take on it? Sorry for all the questions but I have been trying to find the best way to set everything up. Thanks in advance Steve B
hayseed  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2005 1:36:06 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey steve.... those are all excellent questions.... i have an ameritrade account, left over from the datek era, but i use 3 power etrade accounts and 1 option express account for trading...... power etrade has the same features, perhaps a couple more, as ameritrade..... really don't think there is a nickels worth of difference between any of them, excepting commissons of course.... yeah switching back and forth is a pain, thats why i use multiple computers with multiple moniters .... everything is in front of me at all times..... yes, i'm very pleased with esignal..... and no i don't see an advantage in droping ameritrade and going with esignal alone..... i do see an advantage in setting a goal of where esignal is seen as a tool irrespective of price.... i have quite a few friends that are loyal ameritraders, can't recall a single negative comment.... my take is that most stick with what they start with..... realtime, level2's, streaming charts and so on are all nice, but far more money has been made with weekly charts, eod data and patience..... then again, anyone walking into that '$oex' thunderdome better take every weapon available.....h
SteveB  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2005 1:48:33 AM(UTC)
SteveB

Thanks Hayseed. It was all very helpful!! Steve
SteveB  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 12:14:47 AM(UTC)
SteveB

Hayseed, After 3 phone calls I finally got the Indices and Market Indicators add on connected late today. Can you (or anyone else) tell me what symbol to use to get the NASDAQ data? The S&P 500 and DOW work just fine but I am unable to get the correct one for the NASDAQ. I can't find any symbol close to COMPQ that I have seen on other charts in the Symbol Database and I have also tried the following: NASDAQ .LXD NASDAQ .VDX NASDAH Mkt .VXN but they are all for something else. Steve
hayseed  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 1:59:55 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey steve.... comp is '$compq".....yeah those symbols kinda run together.... you can arrange the your folders by name which makes the difficult to remember easier to see..... use the views tab, to the left of tools and the options to view by name....... i havn't yet but will fix a separate folder for the ones of greatest importance to me.......h
SteveB  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 2:39:55 AM(UTC)
SteveB

Hayseed, Thanks for the help. I guess version 8.0 must have a diffeerent Symbol Database than your 9.0 (or maybe it's Reuters versus Esignal) as $COMPQ was not in there and you have a lot of different symbols than I have. I manually entered it as a new symbol but it came back as symbol unknown. I finally just took everything with NASDAQ and NAS in it from the database, updated all of them, and went through them one by one until I found the right one. Turns out it's .IXIC on my system. The DOW is .DJI too and the S&P 500 is .SPX. Doesn't make sense but I verified that they are correct so, in any case, I'm all set now. Thanks again for the quick reply! Steve
hayseed  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 3:10:39 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey steve.... no wasn't a difference between 8 and 9, it was a difference between a hayseed reading and understanding.... can't imagine what i was thinking, yes the reuters symbols are different .... sorry about that .... you can arrange the reuters symbols folders the same way..... arranged by name works best for me........h
SteveB  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 12:42:45 PM(UTC)
SteveB

Hayseed, No problem at all and thanks again! NASDAQ on my system is called NAS/NMS COMPSITE versus NASDAQ COMPOSITE for some reason but it doesn't matter much as it works now! Just had to figure out which symbol to use as I was only familiar with $COMPQ. Steve
joetrade69  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 7:19:50 PM(UTC)
joetrade69

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

The DataLink equivalant of $COMPQ is .IXIC There is a custom symbol file on the Equis support page named Common Indices. This is a list of the most commonly requested index symbols from DataLink. For example there are a few S&P 500's, but .SPX is the right one and this is in the Common Indices file.
SteveB  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 13, 2005 10:53:36 PM(UTC)
SteveB

Thanks for the information Joe. I'll take a look the list. Steve