logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nasdaqtrader  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 1, 2014 6:54:11 PM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Dear MS Support,

Recently when I use MetaStock 11 Pro, and when I do a exploration with either my local data or from ReutersDatalink I receive a error message thast the data is corrupt when I click on no my explorations signals appear.

Below is the message that appears:

---------------------------
MetaStock Professional
An error has occurred while accessing the security list data folder C:\Program Files\Equis\MetaStock\COMMLIST\EQ_SLIST\. The error indicates that one or more of the files used to store security lists may be damaged.

If you choose to delete the damaged files, all security lists used throughout the program will be lost and you will have to manually reselect all securities. Deleting the damaged files may, however, be the only way to eliminate the error condition.

Do you want to delete the damaged files?
Yes No

Any reason why this is suddenly happening? This never happened in the past just the last 2 weeks now.

Thank you

Regards,

Regards, Frank Koenig Trade Like a Pro Trend is your Friend
retireewill  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 7:42:31 AM(UTC)
retireewill

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

I had a different but similar problem when running System Tester. After several iterations, I would get the 'bad file' message. After several days, I checked the MetaStock folder (using MS 11 EOD). One file had over 1 gig of data. It was "ST_Data.mdb", Microsoft Access Database. No way that was correct. Apparently no more records could be recorded to the file. Anyway, corrected that and it now has about 45 megs in file and all is OK.
henry1224  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 2:22:45 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Frank, have you resolved this issue?
nasdaqtrader  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 2, 2014 3:25:34 PM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Henry,

Still no resolution.

I deleted the local data files and recreated the files, it worked for a few days and now same issue again. I'm wondering if it has anything to do regarding Windows XP?

Henry do you have any idea why this started to occur.

Regards,

henry1224  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 7:23:37 AM(UTC)
henry1224

I have the same problem, I can download one or two files at a time, If I try and click too fast, the problem comes up, I tried to delete the EQ_list file, but that didn't help. I'm looking into another data provider!
nasdaqtrader  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 9:36:39 AM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Henry,

I tried on file with the Nasdaq 100 stocks same issue.

Frank K

henry1224  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 2:20:31 PM(UTC)
henry1224

I don't believe that the local data files are the problem!
I deleted the entire data folder and re-created them. If I download one or two files, they download ok..if I try to download several files at once, I then get the error message.
I have to click on the file and hold the click for a few seconds, it then downloads ok.
the express download doesn't work.
nasdaqtrader  
#8 Posted : Monday, March 3, 2014 6:15:22 PM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Henry,

I'm going to try your method tonight hopeully it will work or me too.

Do you think this may be related since MS 13 came out with a new local data within MS 13? and the data format has changed from the older verions o MS. This is just my thought.

henry1224  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:46:59 AM(UTC)
henry1224

I don't really know what is causing the problem with the downloader! The reason I don't think that the problem is from the local data files, even if you were to delete the entire data files from your computer and then recreate them from scratch, the error still occurs, then it goes away one day, and then re-occurs again?Sometimes, I can download 3 or 4 files at a time, other times I have to download those same files separately. I have deleted the EQ_SLIST file , but I still get the same error message.
I'm currently using MS 10.1 on a windows 7 ultimate OS. If I can't get this straightened out, then I will switch to norgate premium data and leave MS altogether.
I get FREE real time data from my broker.In my style of trading, I only need it on the day after the signal bar to get a better price.
nasdaqtrader  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:56:23 AM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Henry,

Right now I can do a download for my local data files with no issues. I get that error message when I run a Exploration. This is really puzzling me. Today, I will contact Tech Support to see if they can shed some light why this is happening to us.

I'm really suprised no one from MetaStock looked at our post John or MS Support.

I really like MetaStock, but right now I do not like the latest version of MetaStock at all. Last month i went to the NYC Trader's Expo and spoke with Jeff Gibby, he told me they are going to release new versions of MetaStock now about every 18 Months now instead every 3 years. Jeff told me that alot of other users complained that they take to long to release a new version.

I will post you what i find out from Tech support today.

Regards

retireewill  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 7:26:50 AM(UTC)
retireewill

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

I will be surprised if MS is still in business 18 months from now. I wrote the home office yesterday with my objections to MS 13 which is designed strictly for real-time/day-traders. The EOD version is dead & gone. Of course, I don't expect any change. But I did allow that the best route for MS would be to bring back MS 11, then refine the formula language and make it a little more user-friendly, update to 64 bit, make navigation within several charts easier.

Let's face it, there is very little that MS 13 can do which MS 11 cannot as far as testing, etc. MS 13 offering hourly updates for EOD users is almost an insult considering previous versions can be updated as often during the day as desired with data from other vendors.

I expect to be using version 11 for years to come.

Regards,
nasdaqtrader  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 9:42:50 AM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Henry,

Today, I call Tech support and William told me to try to delete the file EQ_List and see when i run a new exploration it will create a new EQ_list file see if that corrects the issue, he also told me to delete the MetaStock favorites file but this may be crucial.

Thanks

MS Support  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 4:17:13 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hello,

We have seen some issues with McAfee Realtime Scanning component damaging our list files. Sometimes you can delete the EQ_Slist, turn off the McAfee Realtime Scanning, then run your explorations.

Sometimes you can adjust the Settings in the Realtime Scanning component to only scan Programs and Documents instead of All Files which has sometimes helped (if the cause if McAfee).
nasdaqtrader  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, March 4, 2014 6:21:09 PM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

MS Support & Henry

Tonight I followed the MS Support to delete my EQ_Slist and so ar everything is back and running again

Thank you or all your advise.

Regards

henry1224  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 12:29:54 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Thanks Frank!

I'll give it a try
nasdaqtrader  
#16 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 6:37:32 PM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Henry,

Let me know if that works for you also. Tonight I ran my exploration and it's working normal again or now lets keep our fingers crossed.

Hopefuly that clears up your issue also when I called Support they did not tell me about the Mcaee scan in realtime causes this issue. Until MS Support responded to my post and followd the post steps.

Henry, Are you getting the same feeling I'm getting, that MetaStock will disappear totally. Just with the last two upgrade versions that came out. MetaStock is still far behind the competition. Like when I attend the webinars and come to the forum hardly anyone in both sections. This is my feelings that I'm getting. Like to hear your thoughts.

Regards,

henry1224  
#17 Posted : Wednesday, March 5, 2014 8:52:09 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Frank, I deleted the EQ_Slist file and then I went into the MCAfee program and changed the real time scan and now it works ok without any errors. Thank you for your persistence.

As far as the Metastock program goes, Equis is up against stiff competition. With online brokers offering their own software, Real time quotes, Cloud based software and finally other software programs, equis has it's hands full.

What they should realize the common denominator is data! If they want to make Real time Data their priority, then they need to make some type of integration with online brokers and their software.Other software programs need data, they all read metastock dta files. There is no sense in using RT data in Equis, if you can't trade from the chart. By the time you switch back and forth between charts and your online broker, your losing money as ticks go by.

Computing trends are going away from PC's and into more mobile platforms ie: tablets and smartphones.
So as cloud computing becomes more prevalent, I feel that software providers will adapt their programs and move into some sort of leasing scenario, where they maintain the data files and they provide RT Signals.

Let's look at some of the competition:

ESignal used to provide RT data for Metastock, They bought Advanced Get and have their own software

Tradestation was a software only business, they became a broker with their software

Interactive Brokers has their own software,data

TDAmeritrade has their own software and data

Scottrade has their own software and Data

What is the one thing that they have in common?

You can trade from the chart, Click buy and your in a trade, Click sell and your out, your portfolio updates in real time.

A simple charting program is doomed unless it can find a way to integrate into a trading platform!

I don't daytrade, I don't really need RT Data for EOD explorations. I get my signals and then go to my online broker and use their software to get into the trade and manage my account.

Equis will continue to be around for a long while, but not in a version where you buy it for life!
Equis is getting into a subscription based format, where they continue to get a larger monthly return!
$1500 p/year for Xenith data, but can you trade from the charts like you can from an online broker ??
My brokers offer free charting, free scanning, free RT Data, nasdaq level2, time and sales, news ,options,fundimentals, portfolio management all for FREE!!! and I don't have to convert any data files.

Don't get me wrong, I still love to use Metastock but I can see the handwriting on the wall. Newer and better trading tools are developing all of the time!

Regards,

Henry

nasdaqtrader  
#18 Posted : Thursday, March 6, 2014 4:20:19 AM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Henry,

Thank You for your feedback, and I' glad that you where able to get back working properly with MetaStock and that has been corrected for you as well.

Keep in touch if that fix does not work for you.

Regards,

PTJim  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:24:53 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Henry, I haven't evaluated all the alternatives, but I think Tradestation is the biggest threat to MetaStock simply because it's a sophisticated scanning and analysis platform, offering not only programmability but fairly widespread third-party support. The charting offered by Scottrade, Schwab and others is nice as far as it goes, but is only about 50% useful to me without more customization abilities they don't offer yet.

MS 11 (9.1, for that matter) does everything I need to do, but it's a very clunky platform in the era of 64-bit Windows 7. They will NEVER win me back with an upgrade until they once again support full read/write of their own MetaStock format data files, simply because I rely on plugins for analysis and third-party data feeds that create and maintain in the MS-format file system. The current "workarounds" to use .CSV is incredibly awkward and useless, when what I have is far better than that already.

Additionally, their on-demand data is sooo slow. My father evaluated version 13, so I took my routine divergence scan and tried running it on all 10,500+ symbols I have available. What takes me about 3-1/2 minutes to run on my system was reported to take about 50 minutes on his system using online data from MetaStock! I don't know that for sure; after 10 minutes I killed it. I can't see how a system that charges for data and takes 16 times longer to run scans can be considered a good upgrade. Dad returned it and we're both on MS 11 again and will remain there until a clearly-better alternative comes along. That alternative may or may not be a MetaStock product - we'll just have to see how they respond to the dead-in-the-water reaction to versions 12 and 13.

nasdaqtrader  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, March 19, 2014 6:46:03 PM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Henry,

Is your MS 11 version still working since we last spoke? Last evening I'm again getting the error message and I did not even run a full scan within McAfee. This is starting to be a major headache now.

PT Jim,

I'm agreeing with you also, the scans take too long and they should also have by now broker interface for entering your trades and real time pre & post market scans etc...

My personal opinion they are drifting away and one day we will find out that MetaStock is gone forever. I upgraded to MS 12 and MS 13, my opinion a total waste. I'm still using MS 11 Pro, and will contiue to use MS 11 until a major face lift and overhaul takes place within MetaStock. I also have OmniTrader from the satrt of time and there scans run alot faster and they also have real time scans etc... Do not get me wrong that OT also has issues too. I may have to turn to a more reliable platform. I trade intraday and MS 11 does not have real time data support, since MS 12, 13 came out.

Does anyone know if MS 11 for Esignal the real time data still works?

Regards