logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gorachand  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 16, 2023 6:27:23 PM(UTC)
gorachand

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hello, I use Metastock 11 Professional edition. I am trying to code a buy and sell order for the system tester—long position only. The buy order should buy the security when the 20 period exponential moving average crosses above the 40 period exponential moving average in a security whose present closing price is greater than 800. Cross(Mov(C,20,E),Mov(C,40,E)) AND C>800 The sell order should sell when the price arises 8 units from the price when it was bought. Something like Create this binary indicator sellx Z1:= Cross(Mov(C,20,E),Mov(C,40,E)) AND C>800; Z2:= (ValueWhen(1,Z1,C) + 8)>=C+8; Z2; then the sell order should read If(sellx=1,(ValueWhen(1,Z1,C)+8),C) Could you check whether the coding is correct as—the ValueWhen function only returns the closing value for the first instance of the MA crossover while the system tester looks historically backward for say 4years. I am aware my code is a bit amateurish But if the coding is not correct—what should it be? Awaiting your reply, Regards, Sourav
MS Support  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, January 2, 2024 5:54:28 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)

Originally Posted by: gorachand Go to Quoted Post
Hello, I use Metastock 11 Professional edition. I am trying to code a buy and sell order for the system tester—long position only. The buy order should buy the security when the 20 period exponential moving average crosses above the 40 period exponential moving average in a security whose present closing price is greater than 800. Cross(Mov(C,20,E),Mov(C,40,E)) AND C>800 The sell order should sell when the price arises 8 units from the price when it was bought. Something like Create this binary indicator sellx Z1:= Cross(Mov(C,20,E),Mov(C,40,E)) AND C>800; Z2:= (ValueWhen(1,Z1,C) + 8)>=C+8; Z2; then the sell order should read If(sellx=1,(ValueWhen(1,Z1,C)+8),C) Could you check whether the coding is correct as—the ValueWhen function only returns the closing value for the first instance of the MA crossover while the system tester looks historically backward for say 4years. I am aware my code is a bit amateurish But if the coding is not correct—what should it be? Awaiting your reply, Regards, Sourav

Hello,

Have you considered using the Profit Stop within the Stops tab? You could enable the Longs option under the Profit Stop, set the Method to Points and the Profit Target to 8.