logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Redhorse  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2022 9:43:49 PM(UTC)
Redhorse

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi

Can anybody help me with this?

I use two moving averages on my charts - a 10 and a 20 period exponential moving average based on closing prices.

But i have just noticed that when i run an exploration with these values being output in two of the columns the values i get are totally different to those on the chart. The formulas i use in the exploration is just (Mov(C,10,E)) and (Mov(C,20,E)).

Does anybody know what might be causing the value for the same variable to be different in an exploration than it is on the chart?

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 27, 2022 10:42:05 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Redhorse Go to Quoted Post

Hi

Can anybody help me with this?

I use two moving averages on my charts - a 10 and a 20 period exponential moving average based on closing prices.

But i have just noticed that when i run an exploration with these values being output in two of the columns the values i get are totally different to those on the chart. The formulas i use in the exploration is just (Mov(C,10,E)) and (Mov(C,20,E)).

Does anybody know what might be causing the value for the same variable to be different in an exploration than it is on the chart?

Hello,

The most likely issue here is that the Explorer by default is set to "Load Minimum Records" (this is useful for ensuring maximum speed of your exploration). This isn't a problem with most formula functions, but with exponential calculations in particular, these calculations carry a bit of historical data into the current values when you load more data. You don't necessarily need to load the exact amount of data that you load in a chart (I've heard recommendations of about 20% more data than the minimum periods in your formulas) but to rule out this issue you might want to try increasing the Explore Data Loading to something like 500 or 1250 records (You can try lower numbers if you want to keep exploration speeds maximized). Given the relatively small number of periods in your formulas you could probably just use 100 records and still be fine in getting matching results.

Edited by user Thursday, October 27, 2022 10:43:29 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified