logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
calisto77  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 3:00:03 AM(UTC)
calisto77

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 5/14/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I've returned to my MS 7.2 and had some installation hassles but now installed on Win10 ok so I started off with a very basic search ColA Macd()<0 ColB Stoch 34 < 30 filter-- ColA=1 AND ColB=1 AND (mov(V,30,E)*C)> 50000 in case I wrote it wrongly, Macd under O, Stoch 34 under 30 filter -- 30day AV volume X close > 50000 deleted all charts & templates & made a new Template for Macd & Stoch on a Weekly chart ran the Exp --this gave ~ 50-70 charts ( about 10-15%) I checked the 1st 10 charts & got 4 correct ( 40%) 60 % had either /both Macd &/or Stoch incorrect ie above 0 or above 30 also many were on Daily chart question- how can I get MS to give the correct scan results? how can I get the results on a Weekly chart ( even though I deleted all & a new template) can I have your advice please thanks

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, October 1, 2019 6:01:39 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 10/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,588

Thanks: 50 times
Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Originally Posted by: calisto77 Go to Quoted Post

I've returned to my MS 7.2 and had some installation hassles but now installed on Win10 ok so I started off with a very basic search ColA Macd()<0 ColB Stoch 34 < 30 filter-- ColA=1 AND ColB=1 AND (mov(V,30,E)*C)> 50000 in case I wrote it wrongly, Macd under O, Stoch 34 under 30 filter -- 30day AV volume X close > 50000 deleted all charts & templates & made a new Template for Macd & Stoch on a Weekly chart ran the Exp --this gave ~ 50-70 charts ( about 10-15%) I checked the 1st 10 charts & got 4 correct ( 40%) 60 % had either /both Macd &/or Stoch incorrect ie above 0 or above 30 also many were on Daily chart question- how can I get MS to give the correct scan results? how can I get the results on a Weekly chart ( even though I deleted all & a new template) can I have your advice please thanks

Hello,

The first important part is to make sure you are not using Load Minimum Records in the Explorer, especially with Exponential calculations. Try loading 500-1000 records and see if your results match your charts.

calisto77  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 2, 2019 12:28:59 AM(UTC)
calisto77

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 5/14/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

thanks for your help

first tried 1300 records -- 91% reject - better

of 1st  10 charts --5  good

faulty ones - Macd >0  on all -- Stock >30  except 1

then tried 750 records --  91 % rejects

of 1st 10 charts --6 good

   same bad results-- Macd all-- Stoc all bad but 1

          

MS Support  
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 3, 2019 4:09:33 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 10/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,588

Thanks: 50 times
Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Originally Posted by: calisto77 Go to Quoted Post

thanks for your help

first tried 1300 records -- 91% reject - better

of 1st  10 charts --5  good

faulty ones - Macd >0  on all -- Stock >30  except 1

then tried 750 records --  91 % rejects

of 1st 10 charts --6 good

   same bad results-- Macd all-- Stoc all bad but 1

          

Hi again,

One point I overlooked in your original post, to run an exploration on different intervals, you will need to Edit each individual exploration and click the Options button to change this. Newer versions of MetaStock the interval is a global control that you set as you run the scan. With MetaStock 7.2 you need to set the Periodicity within the Exploration Editor "Options".

calisto77  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 3:18:09 AM(UTC)
calisto77

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 5/14/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I ran same exp on a daily chart  & got 97% + -- good

reason I got so many for Weekly prev is I had forgotten to  convert the Daily volume number to a Weekly number -- 

results ok-- of 10 samples  -- Macd good  all -- Stoch failed on 2 only

is there a way to tighten it up further ?

thanks

MS Support  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 8, 2019 2:34:15 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 10/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,588

Thanks: 50 times
Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Originally Posted by: calisto77 Go to Quoted Post

I ran same exp on a daily chart  & got 97% + -- good

reason I got so many for Weekly prev is I had forgotten to  convert the Daily volume number to a Weekly number -- 

results ok-- of 10 samples  -- Macd good  all -- Stoch failed on 2 only

is there a way to tighten it up further ?

thanks

Hi again,

It would possibly help to have the exact formula (you provided most of it) and also the data/symbol where you find the results do not match. When you said Stoch 34 do you mean Stoch(3,4) < 30?

There could be an issue with the combination of column references and separate formula condition in the Filter.

Try setting the filter to: ColA AND ColB (the =1 is unnecessary), remove the volume criteria, and see if this changes the results for the Stochastic. There really isn't any reason that a Stoch(3,4) would work differently in a scan vs. in a chart, aside from potentially loading different amounts of data (especially with exponential calculations), or if the scan was set to run on a specific date instead of the most recent date.

As a way to compare the scan to the chart, simply have the same formula(s) plotted as indicators to confirm, or even combine all 3 indicators into a single condition (similar to how the Filter works) and see if you get a hit (value of 1 from the indicator).

calisto77  
#7 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:57:49 AM(UTC)
calisto77

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 5/14/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hello, I ran the following exp

1/  remove Volume from filter-- using  Daily chart- 85% passed- all charts ok except 1 where Stoc was over @ 37                               as weekly--still all daily charts shown in results                   deleted all smart charts I could find & ran again-- result still all on daily charts                  reset default chart ( the only one) as WEEKLY -ran exp again - result all daily charts

2/   moved all indicators to Filter into 1 file -- 95% passed on daily charts  --  all charts checked good 

so I get better results putting the exploration indicators into the Filter  ? as you suspected

images of scans attached  

can't see where/how to attach  scan  info ??  upload new file button ????

MS Support  
#8 Posted : Thursday, October 10, 2019 2:36:52 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 10/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,588

Thanks: 50 times
Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Originally Posted by: calisto77 Go to Quoted Post

Hello, I ran the following exp

1/  remove Volume from filter-- using  Daily chart- 85% passed- all charts ok except 1 where Stoc was over @ 37                               as weekly--still all daily charts shown in results                   deleted all smart charts I could find & ran again-- result still all on daily charts                  reset default chart ( the only one) as WEEKLY -ran exp again - result all daily charts

2/   moved all indicators to Filter into 1 file -- 95% passed on daily charts  --  all charts checked good 

so I get better results putting the exploration indicators into the Filter  ? as you suspected

images of scans attached  

can't see where/how to attach  scan  info ??  upload new file button ????

Hi again,

I believe you would probably need to link to an external file hosting site regarding images here. You can also contact our support team via - https://www.metastock.com/company/contact.aspx#support which allows for additional options, like sending attachments/screenshots.

There could be an issue using Column references in the Filter (ColA, ColB, etc.) alongside separate formula criteria (ColA=1 AND C > 50 for example) but I think we would want to see your exact formulas and chart settings to be sure where the problem is.

If time of day is problematic for reaching our support staff live, then email might be best for sending us some images.

calisto77  
#9 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 6:32:10 AM(UTC)
calisto77

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 5/14/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

tried to  send mail with attachment -- no good

here's the formulas I used

ColA  --Macd()<0 AND Macd()>Ref(Macd(),-1)

ColB   --Stoch(34,3)<30

filter  --ColA=1 AND  ColB=1 AND (Mov(V,30,E)*C)>50000

then I combined them into 1 indicator -- better results --don't understand why??

MS Support  
#10 Posted : Monday, October 14, 2019 2:34:59 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 10/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,588

Thanks: 50 times
Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Originally Posted by: calisto77 Go to Quoted Post

tried to  send mail with attachment -- no good

here's the formulas I used

ColA  --Macd()<0 AND Macd()>Ref(Macd(),-1)

ColB   --Stoch(34,3)<30

filter  --ColA=1 AND  ColB=1 AND (Mov(V,30,E)*C)>50000

then I combined them into 1 indicator -- better results --don't understand why??

Hi again,

Are you comparing two explorations or an exploration to an indicator result? Either way they should be the same but it might help in identifying the issue.

I just ran 2 explorations, one with the formula you posted (ColA + ColB + Filter) and another where I combined all 3 criteria directly in the Filter (no column references):

Code:
MACD()<0 AND MACD()>Ref(MACD(),-1) AND Stoch(34,3)<30 AND (Mov(V,30,E)*C)>50000

I received the same exploration results in both scans. I also plotted the above formula as an indicator in the charts of the results, and they all matched.

It sounds like you've done everything correct regarding clearing old charts, etc. but if you are seeing a discrepancy in the chart vs. the explorer then it would probably help to know a particular ticker symbol you are having trouble with. With exponential calculations, there can sometimes be issues if you are loading the minimum amount of data due to exponential weighting, but as long as you are loading a reasonable amount of data (i.e. 100 records should be plenty for the above formula) there shouldn't be any issue with chart results matching exploration results.

calisto77  
#11 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:53:48 AM(UTC)
calisto77

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 5/14/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

prev MS7.2 wouldn't load but I had to format the drive & reinstalled Win 10 & voila! it loaded ok

this is a real pain, I can't cut & paste my reply

using the same Macd,stoch & filter today 14-10- 2652 stocks-- min1300 records

result passed 93.6% -- i picked the first 10 charts

default chart ( only chart) is Stoch, macd

                                           stoch                             macd

Amaysim                            ok                       wrong - lower than today

AMA                                 xx                      showed a volume chart

altura                                 ok                                 ok

altium                                                      showed a volume chart

alliance                            ok                                ok

alitares                               ok                              ok

alcyone                            flatline                        flatline'

ABC                                 XX                    showed a volume chart

acroow                             ok                                 ok

88E                                   ok                                ok

that shows 6  Stoch correct   and 5 Macd correct according to the scan requested

as you can see the results are very poor, inconsistent

how can I tighten this up please

               

MS Support  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:10:07 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 10/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,588

Thanks: 50 times
Was thanked: 125 time(s) in 121 post(s)
Originally Posted by: calisto77 Go to Quoted Post

prev MS7.2 wouldn't load but I had to format the drive & reinstalled Win 10 & voila! it loaded ok

this is a real pain, I can't cut & paste my reply

using the same Macd,stoch & filter today 14-10- 2652 stocks-- min1300 records

result passed 93.6% -- i picked the first 10 charts

default chart ( only chart) is Stoch, macd

                                           stoch                             macd

Amaysim                            ok                       wrong - lower than today

AMA                                 xx                      showed a volume chart

altura                                 ok                                 ok

altium                                                      showed a volume chart

alliance                            ok                                ok

alitares                               ok                              ok

alcyone                            flatline                        flatline'

ABC                                 XX                    showed a volume chart

acroow                             ok                                 ok

88E                                   ok                                ok

that shows 6  Stoch correct   and 5 Macd correct according to the scan requested

as you can see the results are very poor, inconsistent

how can I tighten this up please

               

Hi again,

Some of those issues sound like chart problems, which could mean your default template has some problems, or there are old smart charts (located within the MSSMART subfolder of each data folder) that have previously stored chart changes.

Regarding Amaysim, when I plot the indicator above, it shows as true for the last several days, and looking at MACD it has been below zero and rising for several days. I will see if someone from our support can reach out to you via email so we can determine where the issue is exactly.

Edited by user Tuesday, October 15, 2019 3:10:47 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

calisto77  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, October 15, 2019 11:20:23 PM(UTC)
calisto77

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 5/14/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I thought it was a simple problem and was trying to solve it without worrying support

thanks for your help

calisto77  
#14 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2019 12:55:53 AM(UTC)
calisto77

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 5/14/2019(UTC)
Posts: 21

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

I wish to thank Metastock for solving my problems--  the operator very quickly sorted it out & it was mainly  my misunderstandings  of how 7.2 works  as opposed to how I thought it worked -- the later program works in the manner I  was trying to do

next to upgrade later

thanks 1 user thanked calisto77 for this useful post.
MS Support on 10/21/2019(UTC)
Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.