logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nasdaqtrader  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 11:21:50 AM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

Dear Fellow MetaStock users;

I just seen the webinar on the new features included in MetaStock 13, Local data is back, and they have added the Forecaster in the console area.

Would like to get your feedback on the new relaese of MetaStock 13.

Regards,

Regards, Frank Koenig Trade Like a Pro Trend is your Friend
John S  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:49:01 PM(UTC)
John S

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I'd encourage everyone to take a hard look at the new MetaStock and MetaStock Pro 13.0 released today. Check out the video for the quickest review of it: https://www.metastock.com/products/realtime/metastockpro/?overview

PTJim  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 2:19:12 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
John S wrote:
I'd encourage everyone to take a hard look at the new MetaStock and MetaStock Pro 13.0 released today.

John, it's nice to see that you guys did follow through on a promise to restore local-data access; now I need to see if my EOD data downloader can work with CSV files. Do you have any tools to convert our MS-format files to CSV format?

Assuming we can convert our existing MS-format historical data somehow to CSV, will this affect the plugins and external apps we've been using on MS11 and earlier versions? I'm hoping that the file format change is invisible to plugin functions, explorations and backtesting. The one that concerns me the most is TradeSim Enterprise, in which I've invested a few dollars to put it mildly.

Any comments on UI improvements or other changes for modern versions of Windows? Independent child windows that can be moved anywhere on a desktop, even on multiple-monitor setups?

Will MS 13 (did you know that abbreviation also applies to a vicious Los Angeles crime gang?) work on Windows 7? Windows XP Pro?

Thanks.
MS Support  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:51:39 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 155 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hello,

Regarding Local CSV files...

There is a new video that deals with this:

Basically you would set your Source format to MetaStock and your Destination format to ASCII. Next click Options and de-select the Symbol, Periodicity, and Time fields in the Destination tab and click Ok.

If you are converting multiple securities you can put *.TXT for the Destination Filename. After that you should be able to pull these CSV files into an instrument list in MetaStock 13.

billtrudeau  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:52:53 PM(UTC)
billtrudeau

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Where do we stand with the maximum number of custom formulas allowed in the new version?
John S  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:55:50 PM(UTC)
John S

That is still at 2,000.
nasdaqtrader  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 5:42:32 AM(UTC)
nasdaqtrader

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 3 time(s) in 3 post(s)

John,

Does MetaStock 13 support Windows XP & Windows 7?

Regards, Frank Koenig Trade Like a Pro Trend is your Friend
John S  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 12:09:10 PM(UTC)
John S

Yes. And Windows 8.

However, the life of Windows XP support will come to a close next year sometime.
PTJim  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 2:44:03 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Does MS 13 make any changes to our ability to quickly page through all open charts?

Currently, in MS 11, I have to put all charts of interest into a Favorites folder and load them from there in order to be able to use Alt-ArrowKey to move quickly from one open chart to the next or previous. This doesn't work for Layouts or any other set of currently-open charts.

What I really need is the ability to cycle forward/back through all charts currently open in MetaStock, whether opened by themselves, as a group of favorites or a Layout. I can't, for instance use my Layouts of current portfolio or current watchlist and quickly review them this way.

Is this improved now?
MS Support  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 4:15:38 PM(UTC)
MS Support

PTJim wrote:
Does MS 13 make any changes to our ability to quickly page through all open charts?

Currently, in MS 11, I have to put all charts of interest into a Favorites folder and load them from there in order to be able to use Alt-ArrowKey to move quickly from one open chart to the next or previous. This doesn't work for Layouts or any other set of currently-open charts.

What I really need is the ability to cycle forward/back through all charts currently open in MetaStock, whether opened by themselves, as a group of favorites or a Layout. I can't, for instance use my Layouts of current portfolio or current watchlist and quickly review them this way.

Is this improved now?

I am not aware of any change to this. However, cycling through opened charts can be accomplished with Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab. Layouts are still considered individual charts as well so there is unfortunately no way to cycle through them one layout at a time in this fashion. The closest you can get to something like this would be to define the layouts as buttons along the custom toolbar properties and just click the button of the layout you want to shift into the foreground.
PTJim  
#11 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 12:07:14 AM(UTC)
PTJim

MS Support wrote:
However, cycling through opened charts can be accomplished with Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab.

Wow, that works great! That's exactly what I've been trying to do. The key combination is a little clumsy to press, but it's sure a lot easier than maximizing the charts one at a time.

Is this documented anywhere? I've searched the documentation and asked this question on this forum and others - nobody has ever mentioned Ctrl-Tab or Ctrl-Shift-Tab before. It seems to be a "secret".

Very useful, thanks again for pointing it out.
MS Support  
#12 Posted : Friday, November 22, 2013 8:25:26 PM(UTC)
MS Support

PTJim wrote:
MS Support wrote:
However, cycling through opened charts can be accomplished with Ctrl-Tab and Ctrl-Shift-Tab.

Wow, that works great! That's exactly what I've been trying to do. The key combination is a little clumsy to press, but it's sure a lot easier than maximizing the charts one at a time.

Is this documented anywhere? I've searched the documentation and asked this question on this forum and others - nobody has ever mentioned Ctrl-Tab or Ctrl-Shift-Tab before. It seems to be a "secret".

Very useful, thanks again for pointing it out.

If it is in the Help, it is not easy to find. I just looked and did not see it listed. I will put in a request to have this added to the Help section.
TomF  
#13 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 4:02:59 AM(UTC)
TomF

Hi John, I recently purchased Metastock XIII and am now trying to import a local data file. I checked the video at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLojSWaERrA&feature=youtu.be where they use "The Downloader" to convert the Excel file to proper csv format. Problem is I can't seem to find "The Downloader" in my installation of MetasStock XIII? I've looked in the program folders and "C:\Users\....\AppData\Local homson Reuters" where the files seem to be installed. Also checked in the Start Menu under Thomson Reuters. Please can you advise where I can get "The Downloader"?
PTJim  
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:40:13 PM(UTC)
PTJim

MS Support wrote:
If it is in the Help, it is not easy to find. I just looked and did not see it listed. I will put in a request to have this added to the Help section.

Thanks; it's a daily-useful function that any user should know about. In addition to any other places in the documentation it's needed, it definitely needs to be adjacent to the Forward/Back and Alt-Arrow commands, which for me pretty much just move to the next random uninteresting stock in my database.

This is the important, useful chart-cycle command (if it could be remapped or mirrored to a less-awkward key combination, that'd be great). Again, thanks for pointing it out - after over 6 years of using MS, I learned something very important.

PTJim  
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 12:42:18 PM(UTC)
PTJim

TomF wrote:
Please can you advise where I can get "The Downloader"?

In my MS 11, it's right at the top of the Tools dropdown menu of the main program. May have changed in MS 13.

NOVICE  
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 5:04:22 PM(UTC)
NOVICE

1. The maximum number of records that old versions of MetaStock 8-11 can write to an intraday file is 65,500. What is that number of MetaStock XIII ? Is it still the same data limit of 65500 ?

2. Other than tick by tick bars, real-time versions of MetaStock 11-12 Professional can display any intraday time frame in the range of 1 minute to 1439 minutes. Can I have 1-second, 5-seconds and 30-seonds candlesticks for MetaStock XIII Professional ?

3. For custom periodicity of 3-days Chart, MetaStock 11-12 displayed candlesticks starting from the LAST (i.e. the latest) daily record of that data symbol, not from the FIRST (i.e. the oldest) data record. Therefore after each day's price record update, all candlesticks of the 3-days Chart change completely and it is very inconvenient for viewing. Does the same problem occur in MetaStock XIII ?

4. For MetaStock XIII, under the menu: Insert | Channels | Equidistant Channel (for PRICE), is it possible to have both UP and DOWN Mirror Reflections at the same time ? Also, is there a similar function of "Equi-BAR" Channel (for TIME periods) ?
5. Under the menu: Insert | Symbols..., MetaStock 8-12 have only 48 graphic symbols, does MetaStock XIII have more graphic symbols ? If the answer is no, is it possible for me to add custom symbols to my layouts in this new version of MetaStock XIII ?

Thanks for your kind attention.

Yours sincerely,
NOVICE

mstt  
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 6:02:51 PM(UTC)
mstt

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Hi Novice

I don't have answers for any of your questions as far as they relate to MS versions 12 or 13, but there is a way to simulate consistent 3-day bars by combining the rolling "Multi-Frame D~ OHLC" indicator in conjunction with the simulated candles generated by a Heikin-Ashi Template that I developed.

The Multi-Frame D~ indicators can plot rolling higher timeframe prices with as many bars per frame as you might want. These indicators have a "resync" feature that not only allows rolling frames to start from bar 1 (N-bar frames start from the first bar) but it also caters for a reset (or resync) of frames at the start of each 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 or 12 months. The resync feature allows for custom frame sizes (periodicities) that are consistent across all charts regardless of the first or last bar of any given data array.

The Multi-Frame D~ range also operates on intraday data, but more frequent resyncing (than monthly) is not an option at the moment. Although some work is necessary to adapt the simulated Heiken-Ashi bars into regular OHLC bars, that shouldn't be a major problem.

Roy
Advantage  
#18 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 10:26:06 AM(UTC)
Advantage

I have had Metastock for probably 15 years and currently use MetaStock 11. I did a trial on Metastock 12 and while they got rid of the Downloader, I didn't see a lot of benefit.

I went back to MetaStock 11.

Now I am trying MetaStock 13. The forecaster might be a good idea but it's pretty limited, so I am looking for other reasons to keep it.

I am finding it "unstable" in that after running an explorer, often times, I get an error that "MsWin has stopped working". I can re-open the program but I think the only fix is to reboot the laptop. I use Windows 7.

The ability to have prices updated throughout the day seems to work fine.

I also have a problem in that in MS11 I could apply a template and scroll from one security to another using the bottom arrows but in the MS13, you can't. That was a feature I liked and reported when I tried MS12 but it didn't seem to get a priority even though I officially reported the problem and I thought of users used it....I put in a screen capture of the arrows I am talking about.

Also in MS13, if there is data that is incorrect, you can no longer go into the downloader and quickly fix it. I called tech support and they had to look it up and verify. This is also a pain.

Thant's what I have found so far...three weeks to go on my 30 day trial period.

John S  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:17:59 AM(UTC)
John S

When you called our tech support, did you report the error you are seeing after running your exploration?
Advantage  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 27, 2013 11:35:55 AM(UTC)
Advantage

Hi John,

I had the error yesterday and called Tech Support..it's very slow with long wait times....They had me reboot the PC. That seems to be the only way to fix the problem but i don't want to reboot just to fix a problem. MS11 is stable from that perspective. Haven't had that error for as long as I can remember.

I don't seem to have to do a lot for it to occur but i also can't make it occur. Both times it was the I was running the RMO Swing Trade Buy Arrow when it occurred. I will see if the same error happens next time. If I close the program and re-open, that does not solve the problem.

I have not used this forum for a long time but will give feedback more going forward. I like Metastock but I am frustrated wasting a lot of time and money on new versions.

ps...Tech support also told me there. is a suggestion@metastock.com for feedback but until then I have not heard of it.

I tend to use programs (not just Metastock) and frequently break software.

Don't take anything I say personally becuase I am quite blunt about what I like and don't like...and I don't really like spending $200+ dollars and fail to see any immediate benefit.

Thanks

Don