logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
koyasan  
#1 Posted : Saturday, March 2, 2013 8:36:23 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I use V12 pro with Xenith data and even loading maximum data on 30 min , hourly or whatever I cannot get data older than 3 months. I've checked all my settings etc but nothing works..no problem with daily/weekly data etc. I thought I could have the max of 10,000 records on one chart. Probably something obvious (though not to me) so would appreciate some help.
koyasan  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 12:29:50 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Well the answer was obvious....... 3 months is the max. According to Merrill in Equis Support that's all the intraday data that is currently available with v12 and Xenith.......useless in my opinion if you want to do any explorations or study anything but the smallest timeframe. More data will be added in the coming months and in the meantime I was told that I can still use Quotecentre (with V11 presumably) for the next 6 months. I wish I knew this before upgrading. My data subscription is due for renewal in a few months time and I wonder who is going to pay $1400+ for 3 months of back intraday data........certainly not me....come on Equis.........get this sorted.....I'm going back to Quotecentre with v11 today. This thread status will be updated as soon as I can confirm that my v11 with Quotecentre is working again.
koyasan  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 4, 2013 4:24:10 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Feels like I'm talking to myself but at least others might find the answer they are looking for here. Bottom line is that I can't go back to QC and V11 as that data subscription has been cancelled by Equis shortly after I upgraded. It is possible to reinstate it but it is being phased out in any case. One point worth noting I tried to log in to v11 and completely messed up v12 login and needed online live help to get my password/username recognised again (thanks Merrill from Equis support). I've been a long time customer of Equis and have invested countless hours getting to know the program so I am very reluctant to move to another provider but the data issue is a deal breaker if it does not get sorted......an 'upgrade' should not give me less than what I previously had.
koyasan  
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 7, 2013 2:39:52 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Update....Decided to go back to V11 pro with QC data which Equis agreed to reinstate. Until the data issue is sorted out at least I have access to more than 3 months of intraday data. In my opinion V12 pro should not have been released until there was sufficient intraday data to run the program to maximum capability. I have been told that more intraday data will be added in the coming months. On the plus side the staff at Equis have been very helpful to get my V11 with QC running again and I do believe are fully aware of the issues. All I want is to concentrate on my trading and not have to waste more time on the platform. In the interim period I will have to look at alternative platforms as my first priority is to protect my effectiveness as a trader though there is no question I will gladly stay with Metastock if the intraday data issue is sorted.

haddison  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2013 2:44:23 PM(UTC)
haddison

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Although I don't use v12 (I use v11 Pro) I would have thought that there would be a limit in terms of the number of bars, rather than the number of months/years, especially with intraday. For example, with 1-minute data on forex, one week's data is about 7,200 bars.
koyasan  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 8, 2013 3:54:13 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Yes you are right, the limit is on the number of bars which can be displayed on the chart . However in V12 Pro there is insufficient historical intraday data to display the max number of bars on a chart unless you are using the smaller time frames. With Xenith you have only 3 months of historical intraday data so for example v12 will only display 540 bars if you are using 4hr timeframe and only 270 bars on an 8 hour timeframe. Basically Equis are promoting an upgraded platform with downgraded data. Having said that I'm hopeful the issue will be addressed.
delta_fin  
#7 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 3:17:11 AM(UTC)
delta_fin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

good to see this issue highlighted elsewhere. and i'm very surprised more ppl aren't up in arms on this forum. this makes using ms pretty much unworkable for me, so unless we get an update or at least a timeline soon, i'll have to start shopping elsewhere, which is a shame.
koyasan  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 3, 2013 2:13:01 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Perhaps the reason why more people are not "up in arms on this forum" is that few people actually use Metastock Pro. A quick glance through the threads suggest to me that Metastock is more popular as an EOD platform and as such generates a diminishing income stream for Equis. The V12 by removing the Downloader is an attempt to reverse that trend by selling data subscriptions. As I see it the real losers are the Metastock Pro users who have always paid good money for Equis data and now have got less data and a bug ridden program (can't plot custom timeframes, FX freezes at 11.30pm Aussie time, can't recognise GMT daylight saving plus bugs others have reported).......not sure anyone is now happy.

Many users including myself are reluctant to "shop elsewhere" but there comes a time and a tipping point when it will happen.........unless of course these issues get addressed. As for recruiting new users to Metastock I would find it hard to recommend and that's a change in my mindset.

delta_fin  
#9 Posted : Saturday, April 6, 2013 4:53:15 AM(UTC)
delta_fin

Agree with you, to a large extent. I think there are bells and whistles in the new version - which are definitely quite nice. For me personally, the economic data side is a help - and the ability to play with fundamentals data helps too. It's allowing me to work on integrated methods.

I like the product - but the 'core' of it is pretty bloody unusable. And of course, this is evidently an unresponsive, sleepy organization that doesn't seem terribly concerned by feedback. Doesn't leave me optimistic that they'll address this base level stuff - so I doubt I'll be using it too much longer. I certainly regret having bought v12, rather than renting it.
eddie.m  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 16, 2013 8:02:45 PM(UTC)
eddie.m

delta_fin wrote:
I like the product - but the 'core' of it is pretty bloody unusable. And of course, this is evidently an unresponsive, sleepy organization that doesn't seem terribly concerned by feedback. Doesn't leave me optimistic that they'll address this base level stuff - so I doubt I'll be using it too much longer. I certainly regret having bought v12, rather than renting it.

Hi there, [:D]

Metastock wants to finish with the little, baby traders who cry for more features when in fact they cannot trade for real profit$$$ ... This organization turned sleepy for a reason and to certain "trader" segments. Ha, haa, ha [:D]

Thumbs up to Equis Int'l! Let them go away to get brestfed somewhere else ... [:D]

delta_fin  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:34:51 AM(UTC)
delta_fin

Eddie, I know its your lifelong dream to have Equis work for you and you alone; to proclaim yourself as the only successful trader in the history of man; etc etc. But, to assume your demands, nay threats, are the only legitimate ones is the height of hypocrisy.
eddie.m  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 9:16:21 AM(UTC)
eddie.m

delta_fin wrote:
Eddie, I know its your lifelong dream to have Equis work for you and you alone; to proclaim yourself as the only successful trader in the history of man; etc etc. But, to assume your demands, nay threats, are the only legitimate ones is the height of hypocrisy.

Hi Delta_fun, [:)]

You are saying something, but it’s not the right thing. [:D] No, Equis does not work for me and does not have to do. Day-traders are the laborers who work for me thinking they work for themselves. [;)]

I differentiate myself from the crowds of losers not only by my little successes but also by doing the exact opposite of what they are doing.

Height of hypocrisy? [:O] Yes, you are correct about the height, but not about hypocrisy. Please give me any height of any kind. [;)]

You and the few others like you must stop demanding intra-day data for one year. Nobody really wants it. Of, yeah, I forgot, you are day-trading in the past. [;)] Wow ...

delta_fin  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, April 17, 2013 12:41:34 PM(UTC)
delta_fin

yes eddie, you're the only contrarian that's ever lived. everyone that needs intraday data is a 'day trader' that's going out of business and nobody should ask metastock for anything, other than you. and the only way you can be profitable is by following the eddie method. got it.
ASSAD  
#14 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 5:30:44 AM(UTC)
ASSAD

Hi

Delta-fin and every body

please , i need your recommendation , from those who have another software in their aresenal ,

and those who make the decision to shop elsewhere . share your experience . i will be grateful.

Assad

koyasan  
#15 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 12:30:19 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Assad.........if you want to learn about Metastock (warts and all) then this is the right Forum..if you want to learn about other charting software my suggestion is to look at the Forums associated with those platforms or read reviews in Stock & Commodities magazine etc. I could be wrong (maybe the Moderator will comment on this) but your question seems to me to be off topic in this thread.
koyasan  
#16 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 1:03:55 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Hi Eddie....Maybe you are right and nobody wants intraday data that goes back further than 3 months. However could you not ask me first why I want more data before making assumptions about my style or effectiveness as a trader? If you are interested I'm a full time day trader and I make a good living from my work. I actually only need about 2 months of intraday data to trade on a day to day basis. I'm a purely technical trader and I've developed my own system to trade Forex (mostly Aud/Usd). Nothing works for ever (as you know) so from time to time I have to go over my system and backtest (for backtesting I use the excellent VSTPro http://www.metastocktools.com/vst/). To ensure my system is robust with acceptable drawdown and favourable R/R etc I like to use as much data as possible and that means more than 3 months. One year is ideal because that allows for seasonal fluctuation especially in commodity related currencies like the Aussie.

I'm offering you this explanation because maybe the guys at Equis also need to be reminded that Metastock is not a trading platform but a charting software package. As such those of us who are technical traders need as much data as possible to develope our systems. On the other hand if I was a pure price action trader maybe I would not even need Metastock at all and just trade off my brokers platform.

Maybe you don't need this amount of data which is fair enough but can you at least respect the fact that I trade differently and more data works for me?

henry1224  
#17 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 1:50:47 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Most of the Add-ons that Equis offers,require at least 1000 bars, I would prefer 1500 to 2500 bars back.

if you were charting 5 min bars that would be about 13 days worth of data for the minimum or 20 days worth for a prefered setting

if you were charting 10 Min bars that would be about 26 days worth of data for the minimum or 40 days worth for a prefered setting

if you were charting 30 min bars that would be about 78 days worth of data for the minimum or 120 days worth for a prefered setting

if you were charting 1 hr bars that would be about 156 days worth of data for the minimum or 240 days worth for a prefered setting
koyasan  
#18 Posted : Friday, April 19, 2013 2:08:31 PM(UTC)
koyasan

Henry1224....Your info on data reflects my data usage. I normally trade off a 30min or 1 hour time frames so 3 months of data is ok but I also am guided by the general trend which for me is the 2hr and 4 hr timeframes and here the 3 months of data is barely sufficient. For backtesting I would like a lot more for obvious reasons. I really have nothing more to add on this topic.
delta_fin  
#19 Posted : Monday, October 21, 2013 5:01:38 AM(UTC)
delta_fin

* bump *
Do we have any update on this, Equis?
In fact, do we have any updates in general?

I've been patiently waiting for the promised "end of year" extended intraday data - but things seem to have gone quiet on that front. A few unanswered e-mails later - here I am! Give us some good news.

Secondly, I've been patiently waiting for a few Metastock gifts since we were promised the good people with our best interests at heart had taken over from the corporation. But, still seems like I don't get offline access, I don't get anything approaching reasonable mult-screen support and I don't get anything new. Anything lined up?

A reply would be highly appreciated!
John S  
#20 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 12:37:19 PM(UTC)
John S

An all-new version of XENITH is forthcoming within a few months. As part of this the depth of 30 min and hourly data will be expanded. 30 minute data will go back one full year.

Expect some exciting news with the next couple of weeks regarding a new release of MetaStock. Local data access will be one of the additions.