logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Troy16  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 11:52:33 AM(UTC)
Troy16

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi everybody, I created an indicator but when I try to create another indicator, which has a link to the first one, fml("A") for example, Metastock sends me message "More than one name in the indicator builder contains this text". FML doesn't work with my indicators even they contain no mistakes. Thanks a lot
mstt  
#2 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 12:48:18 PM(UTC)
mstt

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Hi Troy MetaStock is telling you that that you are attempting to call an indicator using a name that points to more than one indicator. This can occur if a short version of the full name is used and the shortened version does not allow MetaStock to differentiate between the two or more indicators with the same basic character set. The problem is not in with the indicator's code but with its name. Change the name so that it is unique and the problem should go away. The situation is not always as clear-cut as one would like so you may need to experiment to get a better handle on the problem in your particular setup. In some earlier versions MetaStock checked only the first 11 or 12 characters for uniqueness, ignored remaining characters and used the first indicator it found with the nominated text in the name. Roy
Troy16  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 12:57:48 PM(UTC)
Troy16

Hi Roy, thank you very much for your message, but when i change the name i have this message "no indicator names in the indicator builder contain this text " thanks
mstt  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 1:13:06 PM(UTC)
mstt

Hi Troy It appears that you have changed the offending name of the indicator but may not have changed the same name where it is used in an Fml() function in another formula. MetaStock is giving you a clear pointer to the problem and it's now up to you to head in the direction it's pointing you. Roy
Troy16  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 3:45:39 PM(UTC)
Troy16

hi Roy thank you for your message but i didn't change anything.... and i don't know how to fix it
wabbit  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 4:16:08 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
As Roy has already mentioned, MS has different methods to determine the uniqueness of an indicator name and this can sometimes cause troubles, so you should always endeavour to make all of your indicator names truly unique.

Once you have all of your indicators uniquely named, you need to call them using Fml() (of FmlVar()) and you need to specify the indicator argument exactly as it's spelled in the indicator list, case insensitive.

If you're having further troubles, post the name of the indicator you are trying to call and your calling Fml() code exactly as you are employing it i.e. cut and paste the code here, don't retype it for us here in the Forum, and don't use "likes" (I'm trying something like this...) Show us exactly what you're doing.

wabbit [:D]

mstt  
#7 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 4:19:29 PM(UTC)
mstt

Hi Troy You wrote "when i change the name i have this message "no indicator names in the indicator builder contain this text "". I took that to mean that when you did change something (as stated) you ended up with a similar but different error message. To help you further I'll need to see the specific indicator(s) causing trouble, including the exact names and error messages in the context of what you're trying to achieve. If you don't wish to make your indicators public you can send me a private message with all of the relevant details. I'm sure the problem is easy enough to fix. Unfortunately I need more information than you have provided so far. Some MetaStock error messages are quite cryptic and difficult to decipher. Most of them, howver, point directly to the problem and are closely related to something the user has just done. "More than one name in the indicator builder contains this text" and "No indicator names in the indicator builder contain this text" are quite specific and tell us exactly what needs to be fixed. If necessary copy the name and text of each problem indicator to a text document, delete the problem indicators, make sure the problem no longer exists, then recreate the indicator or indicators using names that do work. Roy
Troy16  
#8 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 4:53:41 PM(UTC)
Troy16

I finnally done it , thank you for all guys, im just a beginner and i want step by step learn more and more about metastock,,,by the way im gald to be here in this community see you
wabbit  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 4:56:28 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Future readers of this forum might have the same trouble as you, so by you posting how you fixed your issue might help them.

How did you resolve the issue?

Troy16  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 5:03:23 PM(UTC)
Troy16

hi, actually it's quite simple, when i first call fml with for example fml("a2") i didn't in the indicaor builder specify the formula of a2, i was thinkink that only the name of the colum was enough so, in the indicator builder i specify the formula of a2 and return to the exploration and it works, i hope it enough clear
wabbit  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 5:08:13 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Thanks.

Troy16  
#12 Posted : Monday, November 26, 2012 5:09:26 PM(UTC)
Troy16

Thanks to you :d