logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
saliya  
#1 Posted : Sunday, August 16, 2009 2:31:42 AM(UTC)
saliya

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hey folks,

after the most recent round of Windows updates the Equis Data Server/File Servers do not seem to want to start.

This appears to be related to MS Windows updates (EDIT: KB968389, not KB960859 and KB971657); as removing them allows the data server to start/run properly on my installed instance (and allowing the updates to be reinstalled results in the error reappearing).

Anyone else seen this type of behaviour?

Cheers,

Saliya
wabbit  
#2 Posted : Monday, August 17, 2009 11:53:53 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
I'm not in front of my MS machine right now, but I know it is fully up-to-date with all the XP patches/updates (whether or not those specific KBs are installed?); when I left home this morning MS Pro9 w/QC was running normally.

Do you get any error messages?

wabbit [:D]

Justin  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 1:54:19 PM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Also, are you using MetaStock Pro for eSignal or QuoteCenter?

I installed one of the KB's you mentioned on my XP 32-bit machine here and I launched both MetaStock Pro for eSignal and MetaStock Pro for QuoteCenter.

I also wonder if possibly one of these KB's is enabling something on your PC (like Windows Defender or Windows Firewall) which might normally be disabled. I know I have seen updates turn the Windows Firewall back on.
saliya  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 10:34:01 PM(UTC)
saliya

Hi guys,

Thanks for taking the time to post.

UPDATE: Problem seems to be with KB968389, not the others listed.

I should firstly note that I'm fairly sure the problem is resolved; just posting here to find out whether anybody else had the same problem or not. If you guys see a whole bunch of 'me too' (or not!) then I guess we'll know.

wabbit wrote:
I'm not in front of my MS machine right now, but I know it is fully up-to-date with all the XP patches/updates (whether or not those specific KBs are installed?); when I left home this morning MS Pro9 w/QC was running normally.

Can you see whether you have the updates in the subject and/or KB968389 installed? Control Panel -> Add/Remove -> select 'Show Updates' checkbox, look for IDs.

wabbit wrote:

Do you get any error messages?

* Equis Data Server Initialization
Connecting to data vendor; please wait.

* EQDATSRV
Error enabling client interface object
The Equis Data Server will terminate when this message is cleared.

* EQDATSRV
Unable to initialize client interface object
The Equis Data Server will terminate when this message is cleared.

No error messages apart from the one listed; with update KB968389 installed EQDATSRV.exe will not start/run on my machine (and therefore MS cannot get data updates). With it removed, works fine. Tested install/remove a few times (not really going to spend any further time on it; this is really just a heads-up for other forum users that may or may not warrant further investigation).

Had to set automatic updates to -download only and prompt to install- in order to be able to deselect/permanently disable those specific updates, then reset to automatic.

Justin wrote:

Also, are you using MetaStock Pro for eSignal or QuoteCenter?

MS ProFX and QuoteCenter

Justin wrote:

I installed one of the KB's you mentioned on my XP 32-bit machine here and I launched both MetaStock Pro for eSignal and MetaStock Pro for QuoteCenter.

With respect to the KBs: it may be that I supplied the wrong number in the subject (I uninstalled _all_ the updates that were done on the day it stopped working; then put them back one by one till I saw the problem).

Justin wrote:

I also wonder if possibly one of these KB's is enabling something on your PC (like Windows Defender or Windows Firewall) which might normally be disabled. I know I have seen updates turn the Windows Firewall back on.

It's possible but I don't think it's related:

a) I have both those things on always; and
b) the problem seems to disappear with the uninstall of the related Update.

Regards,

Saliya

wabbit  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 18, 2009 11:22:22 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
KB968389 applies to XP64 , so not to me.

Have you read : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968389abbit [:D]

saliya  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 19, 2009 5:04:28 AM(UTC)
saliya

wabbit wrote:
KB968389 applies to XP64 , so not to me.

Have you read : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968389>
KB968389 (near as I can tell) applies to 32-bit and 64-bit systems alike.
It was certainly part of the recommended updates for my instance of XP Home (32-bit).

Yes, I had a read; no, I haven't contacted Microsoft Support.
At this stage I'm not convinced that it's hard-linked to the update in general;
only that _seems to be_ on my particular XP instance.
Hoping to hear from other MetaStock users with their experiences.

If this proves to be something that the Microsoft official upgrade process breaks, then Equis can take it up with Microsoft.
If not, then I have to look for something else on my XP instance...

I think it's a little too early to tell yet (that particular update looks to be very recent). I'll keep checking back, though.
Love to hear from anyone that has installed the listed updates - thanks Justin - and whether or not they have had the same experience.

Either way, at present I have just left that particular update out of my XP instance - that XP's sole purpose is to run MetaStock.

Regards,

Saliya
Justin  
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 20, 2009 1:08:23 PM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

I do not believe I have that one installed here at work, though I likely have that at home on my Vista Ultimate 64-bit edition, since I regularly check for updates and install them all (including many optional updates except the language packs).

I'll try and check this on my home machine (I recently formatted and haven't put all my programs back on yet).