logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
johnl  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 19, 2008 10:27:55 PM(UTC)
johnl

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I am getting this error over the last week. Crashes 4-5 time a day.
I am moving from one chart to another, sometimes with explorer running, sometimes not
Details say:
memory error loading custom indicator name cashe.
error allocating formula execution memory.

Version 10.1 Pro - Number Custom formulas = 1990.
Any idea or what should I look for in "detail" of error message.
Thanks in advance.

Justin  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 20, 2008 10:33:29 AM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

That does seem a bit close to the 2,000 formula limit, but there could be some corruption in the Indicator Builder file. You may want to perform the following steps to try and resolve the issue:

Export your custom indicators (using the Organizer button in the Indicator builder)
Rename the MSXXFORM.DTA file(s) in the \MetaStock folder and the MetaStock\Backup folder
Reinstall MetaStock to get a clean copy of the MSXXFORM.DTA file
Import your formulas back into the program (using the Organizer button in the Indicator Builder)
johnl  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 22, 2008 8:27:01 PM(UTC)
johnl

I did what you said.
Found out formorg not working so renamed equis folder and reinstalled
MS. Then replaced MS10.. files with my old ones
then removed around 200 custom indicators to rule out possible array error.
It still bombs but not as much.
Let's start with getting formorg running. Any ideas why it has a problem?
Thanks.

Justin  
#4 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 7:58:17 AM(UTC)
Justin

Formorg does read some of the formula files when you launch it, so either it's having trouble reading one of the formula files or it could also mean that certain system components that formorg uses are corrupt. Did you get an error during the reinstallation of MetaStock? If not, then the system components are likely ok but one of the formula files is still damaged.
johnl  
#5 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 12:40:40 PM(UTC)
johnl

No errors, jetcomp took a while doing whatever it was doing.
What is the best way to isolate which file is corrupt?
Justin  
#6 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 3:12:43 PM(UTC)
Justin

As far as moving your old formulas back into the program, did you only move the MS10FORM.DTA from the renamed Equis\MetaStock into your newly installed MetaStock folder, or did you run the Organizer and import from that folder? If you didn't import the other formula files (MSXXEXPL.DTA, ST_DATA.MDB, MSXXEXPT.DTA/Experts) then the corruption is more than likely in the Indicator Builder file.

Unfortunately if you are not able to export your custom formulas out of this corrupt Indicator Builder file there's not a lot that can be done (aside from a painful process of editing/copying the formulas into another program like Notepad, and then pasting them into a clean Indicator Builder file. Given the amount of formulas you have in there I don't think that is too feasible. Do you get the error instantly upon trying to export? Can you try running the Organizer and exporting just a single custom indicator?
johnl  
#7 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 7:06:30 PM(UTC)
johnl

I called equis help line, figured this wasn't going to be straight forward, and have
been working on getting a clean install. After getting a good install, before dropping my
MS10*, etc files back into the equis folder I created a custom indicator and.... no luck, still formorg still doesn't want to work, so it may not be the MS10* files that are the problem.
I have been talking to a guy named Brad, he's great and I'll be calling him again tomorrow. The good news is that my explorers that took almost 5 hours to run now take half as long. Wow.
I'll post the final solution when I get there.
Thanks for your help.
wabbit  
#8 Posted : Monday, June 23, 2008 8:49:34 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Hi again John,

There are all sorts of factors which affect MS in different ways. One of the more frustrating facts is the limitations in the indicator builder and the MSxxFORM.DTA files. The bigger this file gets, as it approaches the 2000 formula limit, the slower MS runs. Some time ago, I did some experimentation with the other MSxx.DTA files to see which had what effect on MS performance; I cannot recall the exact results but the essence is, to have MS running at its optimum, keep all indicators, explorations and system tests to the minimum required. I have many, many thousands of formulas, explorations and tests, but the vast majority are not used in my current trading strategies so they are exported and archived just in case I ever need to refer to them in the future. (You have used the virtual printer to achieve similar results?) The performance difference between a "fully loaded" MS and the clean MS is phenomenal.

You might it useful to keep multiple versions of MSxx.DTA files, particulalry the MSxxFORM.DTA files. Again, it can be a bit of a bugbear to manage, but it is not impossible... Do not attempt to manage these after too many glasses of wine! or if you are not confident of not messing the entire thing up!

After doing a clean install of MS, take a copy of the required MSxx.DTA files and keep them in a safe place, maybe a sub-folder called "Default" or something similar. Then open MS and delete all the indicators, explorations and system tests, closing MS when you are done. Take a new copy of the MSxx.DTA files and save these to another sub-folder called "Empty" or something similar. (These "empty" files are the blank canvas starting points for building lean, clean and mean libraries of only the stuff that is absolutely necessary.) Over time, you might find that you end up with a lot of codes for particular circumstances, so compile a MSxxFORM.DTA file containing only these indicators. It is a simple matter to rename/export the exisiting .DTA files then replace them with the custom files as you need them.

As always, the golden rule applies: "backup BEFORE doing ANYTHING" ... but if all goes wrong, you will still have copies of the original files in their pristine installation state, and the blank canvas versions.

You will be surprised at the performance improvement.

---
As for FormOrg.exe ... it has issues of its own.

Have you tried running FormOrg.exe as a standalone application, with MS shutdown?

Is there any difference if you try importing a function than if you try exporting a function? From a clean installation or from your current working version?

What .dlls do you have installed in the External Function DLLs folder? Take a copy of this folder (make sure it is a secure, good copy) then delete the contents of the DLLs folder and re-try FormOrg.exe in its standalone mode (When FormOrg runs, it re-initialises all MS dlls (several times) which can affect the operation of FormOrg, with no error messages or warning of impending doom!) The problem could be in one of these files?

Hope this helps.

wabbit [:D]

johnl  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, June 24, 2008 8:54:08 AM(UTC)
johnl

Think I got it fixed. Brad had me on the right track. He had me playing around with
a MDAC file from Microsoft that is installed with MS10 but is contained in windows
XP. I did a "fix" of the MDAC 2.8 instead of a install.
Link here: hxxp://www.macropool.com/en/download/mdac_xp_sp2.html.
formorg now works with my MS10* files. Why it blew in the first place is beyond
me. I will know in a few days if that also solves the crashes when scrolling between
stocks.
I can't use virtual print until MS allows password protected indicators to be printed
so I take them off (copy/paste) one by one which is no problem.
The shuffling of multiple MS10FORM files is something I am trying to avoid but looks
likely since I am having problems finding groups of indicators I want to delete and
never retrieve.
Once the password problem is fixed I will probably find a parse program to create
txt files (one file per indicator with the txt file named the same as the indicator) from
the virtual print file, hopefully I can find something to delimitate each indicator in the
virtual print file and extract the indicator name consistently. I can manage the group of
txt files by placing them in a folder which will give me an automatic sort.
I will also try stripping the password by exporting/importing/printing/deleting groups
of indicators but this sounds not too fun.

Thanks for your help.