logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Spaceant  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:29:01 AM(UTC)
Spaceant

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Wabbit, Thanks for your advices..... perhaps, I need to upgrade or buy a new computer... any recommendations on notebook computer?? Others can give me advices too!! thanks in advance sa
wabbit  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 18, 2006 11:57:31 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
What's your current computer? A lot of the time there is no need to buy a whole new computer as the right upgrade can make the world of difference! LAPTOP / DESKTOP Processor? RAM? Graphics Card? Sound Card? Hard Drive? Network and Internet? -- What do you use your computer for? Investing? Games? Movies? Email / Internet? Programming / Development? -- How much did you pay for your current computer? When (how long ago)? -- This will get the ball rolling... wabbit :D
Spaceant  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2006 10:17:17 AM(UTC)
Spaceant

Hi Wabbit, Here is the details of my computer spec:- LAPTOP / DESKTOP Desktop Processor? P4 2.54 G RAM? 1G Graphics Card? AGP8X Radeon 9550 VPU, 256 MB DDR Sound Card? Build-in sound card of mother board - Intel D845 GEBV2 Hard Drive? Tw0 - IMB 60 G and Sega 200G Network and Internet? No Network, 10 M Internet Cable What do you use your computer for? - Investing, no games, very few movies, e-mail and internet, no Programming / Development How much did you pay for your current computer? When (how long ago)? - around US$ 1000 in 2002, adding the 200 G HD in 2003/4 and the graphic card this year On trading, I open MS, an e-trading programme, another realtime quote, two excel files..... these may add up..... the CPU utilization rate at fast market is almost 100%.....at normal market utilization rate is around 60-70% I used to use an ram booster program (Free Ram XP Pro 1.52), noticing that there are ram left normally at around 400-500 M...... so, I don't use it now. One thing I need to stress is that the problem as said in another thread http://forum.equis.com/v...849099326370124c62#19149 this happens even in quiet market..... the third party realtime quote is much faster than MS with more far more charts / layouts opened, at a relative lower CPU utilization rate..... so I think that I can optimize the performance of MS even with this old bloody machine (looks old and seems still performing!!) You may recommend me to open less programmes.... but I feel more confortable with the present setting... and may switch off the third party realtime quote when market opens or at fast market, with an aim to let MS to run more smoothly.... will test it in the coming few days I look forward to seeing your suggestions. sa
wabbit  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2006 11:11:02 AM(UTC)
wabbit

You call that an OLD machine!! You beat me in every respect! I don't trade RT data, but I think the machine you have is more than capable of handling a well managed load. I still don't see the need for two RT data feeds? An option might be for to use a second computer as a data server, antivirus and firewall etc which receives the RT stream. This computer is sort of dumb, so it does not have to be a top end high performance machine. Use your current computer to do the number crunching, with network access to the data. I use an ethernet network on my computer as it is faster than the wireless netwoek I have in the rest of the house. Here's a tip: never throw out or sell or trade in an old computer. You will find a use for it eventually. Firewall and router, media center, backup storage system, development system etc etc etc wabbit :D
Spaceant  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:21:32 PM(UTC)
Spaceant

Wabbit, Thanks for your advice! Well, I am not technical enough to build up a data server. Do you have any websites to let me have a look to build up the one that you recommended? thanks! sa
PTJim  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:23:16 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Ant, you've got a pretty decent system there to begin with - what caught my attention is that you say you have near 100% CPU utilization during busy times. I can't imagine the apps you mention using taking that much horsepower unless there's a serious bottleneck somewhere. Work on that utilization and I bet you'll be much happier. Do thorough virus/trojan/spyware checks; I use AVG antivirus and both Spybot and AdAware spyware checkers (each finds stuff the other doesn't) - all these are free for personal use. Run a disk-defragging program (although with those large drives it may not make much difference). If you really have 400-500 Mb memory left over adding more probably won't make much difference. You might look into disk I/O as well; if you're using slow drives and/or controllers you CPU might be tied up either doing transfers or waiting for them to happen. MetaStock and similar apps spend a lot of time moving relatively-small bits of data back and forth between the Internet, memory and hard drives. Go here http://www.sisoftware.net/index.html?dir=dload&location=sware_dl_3264&langx=en&a=d sitting on the sidelines for a year or so at least, to watch others' experiences with Vista before making the move. And maybe not even then; waiting for Service Pack 1 or 2 seems to be a good idea for new OSs.
StorkBite  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2006 9:00:36 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
I've experienced very similar conditions on my computers (similar specs; no other apps running in background). I use QC data. I haven't figured out the trigger, but all of a sudden the CPU utilization will spike to 100%: all allocated to mswin. If I close the chart it still continues. The only way I've found to stop it is to quit MS and restart. It doesn't happen often. Most of my charts are 60 minutes RT. 5mg broadband connection. The allure of a new computer is always fun, but I'm not at all convinced that it would solve the issue.
hayseed  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2006 10:10:26 PM(UTC)
hayseed

just realized my prior post was not the pm to g as intended..... oooppps .... hey sa..... there is another line of thinking when it comes to computers.... that being get the fastest but smallest hard drive you can live with.... huge hard drives are nice but can quickly become a burden..... might be best to get one of the xps notebooks or desktops purely for 'work' and leave the downloading movies and such for the computer your using now..... be sure to ram it up to the max..... and consider the best graphics card....... betcha a qtr, tommorrow we can make or loose enough to buy the show stopper tommorrow..... hope so anyway, i lost enough today to cover the price of several....... h
sportrider  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2006 1:01:47 AM(UTC)
sportrider

Spaceant, I encounter similar problems(100% cpu usuage) when my computer gets hung up waiting for an answer from a program and its not responding.It usually doesn't happen when running real time data its probably a program running in the background thats not functioning properly,or too slow to respond
wabbit  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2006 2:28:01 AM(UTC)
wabbit

I have been doing a little experimenting with some codes and monitoring the CPU usage. Running offline data, I still spike the CPU usage to 100% with 97%-98% dedicated to mswin.exe (the rest is overhead) Now the codes I am running have a few PREV functions, Fml() and FmlVar() calls so they are purposely intensive and resource hungry. If I do simpler functions the CPU is not burdened nearly as much, CPU still spikes to full capacity but only for short periods. I think this will be the case with any computer. ... so the problem lies in mswin, but we can alleviate some of the cost by using better codes and smaller data sets ?? wabbit :D
PTJim  
#11 Posted : Thursday, July 20, 2006 4:11:45 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)
Wabbit, based on your comments I'm thinking there may be some subtle bugs in MS that are eating up CPU cycles - sort of like the "memory leak" problem some applications have had. Noting that it stays near 100% and won't go away even after closing things (until MS is restarted) sure seems to point to something like that. If it's repeatable the MS code monkeys ought to be able to hang a good debugger on it and see what's hogging all the horsepower.