logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
drifter  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2006 3:25:08 AM(UTC)
drifter

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi all, I have EOD 8.1 and have been trying to use the security function...Security() in an indicator I am building....i.e =Security("C:\\........\\...",O); but cannot get it call up the security. Is there anyway I can do this from inside the indicator or do I need to upgrade to a later version of MS. If I need to upgrade is it to an EOD version or is it only in the Pro version? Thanks in advance.
StorkBite  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2006 5:22:12 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Hi drifter- Welcome to the forum! I believe that the security function became available in v8.01... might be wrong. That's the earliest documentation that I could find... at least for EOD. You should be able to verify it in your version in the functions menu available from the Indicator Builder. Make sure you actually have data available (the security must already exist) and that the path is correct. example: Security("C:\\Metastock Data\\Sample\\GOOG",C)
wabbit  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2006 9:00:22 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
Drifter, I am inPerth too. If you need any help, just send me a PM and I will give you my phone number/email. wabbit :D
mstt  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2006 10:40:50 AM(UTC)
mstt

Was thanked: 57 time(s) in 54 post(s)
Drifter George is right. The Security function was added to EOD MetaStock with version 8.01. The usual problem for it not working is that there's a mistake in the secuity pathname. "Near enough" is not good enough. The Enhanced System Tester will abort all trades if the pathname is wrong, but it won't tell you that until you delve into the reports (don't ask me where). Calling securities without a pathname is possible under some conditions, but not recommended. Roy MetaStock Tips & Tools
drifter  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 10, 2006 2:54:32 PM(UTC)
drifter

Thanks for all the prompt help... maybe this now belongs in another thread??...but. My data comes through Just Data's Bodhi Freeway service,an aussie co. the path in my formula (cut and pasted here) is X:=Security("C:\\My Databases\\MetaStock\\ASX\\XO\\XAO",C);.... which corresponds to the path shown when I have XAO open and follow it back from the dropdown menu under File..New...chart.. The only strange thing I can find is that if I go to the folder via My Computer.. local disk C etc on the desktop and end up in the XO folder it is half full of neromedia files...I did a Nero backup of all of "Disk C" a while ago and it seems to have changed them!!!!! I can still open XAO through the File...New....chart.menu though. Could this be causing the problem?Had thought .."briefly"..of emptying the ASX folder and reloading from my Backup disk to see...doh!! :oops:
drifter  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 11, 2006 6:22:11 AM(UTC)
drifter

Worked it out The folder is X0...not XO as I was entering it!!! :roll: Now i'm off for a quick visit to the optometrist.. Hi wabbit, thanks for the offer of help, may take you up on it next time :D