logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
aldox62  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2005 3:04:04 PM(UTC)
aldox62

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I'd like to import data from MS to excel by using DDE, but as far as I can see there is no DDE Server installed. Is it an option or something else ? Thanks AVB-
mplwengrud  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2005 4:28:01 PM(UTC)
mplwengrud

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

This is under help in metastock.... "One of the great features found in many programs designed for Windows 95 or later is the ability to create links between programs using OLE (object linking and embedding). For example, you could create an OLE link between MetaStock and Excel. Data that exists in the Excel spreadsheet could be plotted in MetaStock. If the data changes in Excel, the changes will also be made in MetaStock because of the OLE link. (Note that Excel 7.0 can only handle a Paste Link of about 1,000 records. Excel 97 and later versions don't have this limitation). OLE links are created by copying data from one OLE compatible Windows application and then pasting it (using the Paste Special command in the Edit menu) to the other application. When using the Paste Special dialog, be sure to look at the helpful messages at the bottom of the dialog. These instructions will guide you through the process of creating the link. If you right click on an indicator in MetaStock that has been paste linked from another application (i.e., Excel, Lotus 123, etc.), two options appear in the shortcut menu—Update Link and Open Link. Use the Update Link command to refresh the indicator in MetaStock with the data from the server application (i.e., Excel, Lotus 123, etc.). Choose Open Link to open the server application so that you can edit the data in the server application. Note that links to a real-time chart in MetaStock can adversely affect MetaStock's performance, especially if intense calculations are involved. A warning message appears if you attempt to create an OLE link to a real-time chart. More: To create an OLE link between an indicator in a MetaStock chart and an Excel spreadsheet To link data in an Excel spreadsheet to MetaStock To link a chart in MetaStock to a Word document OLE Tips" The server you find in the Equis program folder... Regards mike
StorkBite  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 14, 2005 4:40:19 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
The DDE server is an issue apart from OLE; though, OLE requires use of the DDE server. To answer the question, there are 2 easy ways to start the DDE server: 1) Start MS... it will start the DDE server; or, 2) From your START | PROGRAMS | Equis International folder, select Equis DDE server. You will need to make sure that the EQUIS DATA SERVER icon (satellite dish) and DDE SERVER icon (bull w/DDE) is in the system tray PRIOR to starting Excel. Test that out and ask if you have any more questions.
sh2mg136  
#4 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 2:48:34 AM(UTC)
sh2mg136

Heeelp!!!
Where is the DDE Server in MS10???
sh2mg136  
#5 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 2:51:43 AM(UTC)
sh2mg136

hello
could I get data from MS10 (!) though DDE?

thanks,
Max
Justin  
#6 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 7:21:29 AM(UTC)
Justin

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

Do you have MetaStock End-of-Day or MetaStock Professional? The DDE Server is only available with the Professional versions. End-of-Day can use OLE into Excel to move the data outside of MetaStock.

sh2mg136  
#7 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 8:26:26 AM(UTC)
sh2mg136

Pyradius: thanks for your reply.

Pyradius wrote:

Do you have MetaStock End-of-Day or MetaStock Professional? The DDE Server is only available with the Professional versions. End-of-Day can use OLE into Excel to move the data outside of MetaStock.

I have MS8 ( and it has dde server )
but I can`t find any info about it in feature list of MS10.
Are you realy sure DDE server exist in MS10?

And one more question:
is there any other way to get ticks from MS10 and put it to my custom application?

Thanks,
Max
Justin  
#8 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 9:11:18 AM(UTC)
Justin

MetaStock Professional 10 definitely has the Equis DDE Server, yes.

I believe OLE can be used to update data into Excel as well.

sh2mg136  
#9 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 9:39:16 AM(UTC)
sh2mg136

Pyradius wrote:

MetaStock Professional 10 definitely has the Equis DDE Server, yes.

I believe OLE can be used to update data into Excel as well.

Thanks. Glad to hear it.

I`ve got some trouble with DDE. May be you know the answer.
When I send following "eqddesrv|'SMBL'!TIME" request DDE server returns time in hh:mm format.
How could I retrieve seconds?
---
Could you show me how to update data into Excell with OLE? any example or link...
Does OLE supports event ( callback ) model ( like DDE server do )?

Thanks,
Max
Justin  
#10 Posted : Friday, August 31, 2007 10:42:28 AM(UTC)
Justin

The Equis DDE Server is fairly limited in what it can provide. However MetaStock uses a Tick Count, not a Seconds count. If we used seconds we'd be limited to 60 ticks per minute, whereas MetaStock can go up to 999 ticks per minute. If you are using QuoteCenter as your data feed this has a much more robust set of DDE tools.

OLE is a bit different. I am not that familiar with it, but it must be set up from an open chart in MetaStock. You can click on the price bars and press Ctrl-C to copy. Open Excel and click on Edit-->Paste Special. You then want to use Paste Link-->CSV. With OLE you must also highlight the number of rows first in Excel that you want to use for the data.