logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
konrad  
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:00:36 PM(UTC)
konrad

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I have two partition to chosing when I work partition on my laptop: NFTA FAT32 I think FAT 32 is going to windows 95, 98, nt, 2000 ? NFTA is for a new design windows xp pro, home edition? maybe I am wrong, can somebody explain how that work? #-o Many thanks!
StorkBite  
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:32:38 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
K- This stuff is somewhere here on the forum, but I can't find it quickly. You should easily be able to find this info using Google.... NT, 2000, XP use NTFS. 98 uses FAT32. 95SR2 uses FAT32; 95 uses FAT16.
konrad  
#3 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2005 5:06:21 AM(UTC)
konrad

what a windows partition is use for let say I have 50 gb hard drive and want to multiply for 2 part 25 gb each, can I do that when I work partition? that will influence in my windows seting? Can I partion hard drive after instalation windows xp pro? is there any software or a windows setting to partition disk? Thanks
StorkBite  
#4 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2005 6:36:13 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Partition Magic will do what you're wanting. My advice would be to set up your partitions before installing an OS, but you can certainly create partitions afterwards... it's just scary to me.
konrad  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2005 1:14:00 PM(UTC)
konrad

let say I have 50 gb hard drive 25 spend for windows and 25 left unpartion? what will happen with those 25 gb left unpartition? it will create special hard drive ? #-o Thanks!
henry1224  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2005 1:51:11 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Konrad, with your past history and PC's why are you pressing your luck? if it works leave it alone
StorkBite  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2005 8:11:28 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Extended volumes... primary partitions... logical partitions... resizing... reformatting... moving... and, little brothers... ahh... what to do? :roll:
vaughn  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2005 9:19:45 PM(UTC)
vaughn

Another alternative is my favorite app VMWare. You can format your entire hard drive fully NTFS with your main OS {XP or whatever}. When you use VMWare, or to a lesser extent VirtualPC you can have a virtual machine on your host machine. =D> The virtual machine's harddrive is a file on your host machines harddrive. Your virtual machine uses part of your host machines RAM, network connection, and everything else you have. VMWare even came out with a VMWare player that will run preexisting VMWare or VirtualPC virtual machines. With these you can have as many different virtual boxes as you want. Currently Microsoft's VirtualPC only supports Microsoft OSs, go figure. VMWare supports all Windows {I have a DOS virtual machine}, Lindows, Linux, Novell, & Solaris - which didn't go over too well but they say it is experimental. I can't say enough about this product. vm
konrad  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2005 12:22:55 AM(UTC)
konrad

What is a Wireless network ADAPTER and Wireless network Card? I dont get this item... I order my laptop and got a network adapter? that mean I dont have wireless network card? :?:
StorkBite  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2005 3:11:08 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Quote:
Wireless network Card? I dont get this item... that mean I dont have wireless network card?
Hey, you answered your own question! :wink:
Jose  
#11 Posted : Monday, November 14, 2005 12:44:46 PM(UTC)
Jose

vaughn wrote:
VMWare supports all Windows {I have a DOS virtual machine}, Lindows, Linux, ...
VM, can VMWare (installed on a NTFS partition) support DOS? If it can, you've just saved me a heck of a lot of grief. :) jose '-)
konrad  
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2005 12:09:42 AM(UTC)
konrad

ok, I bought a Wireless card Belkin 54 mbs |"G" for my laptop... Finaly I fix my laptop and have gone away from freak windows problem ( I replace my hard drive to new one ) and problem gone :roll: I have a question regarding wireless card, I saw two wireless card D-link 108 mbs and Belkin 54 mbs is there any diffrent in geting signal from hot spot? like in airport, cafe, public hot spot...? by using a D-link 108 mbs or 54 mbs belkin? :? Thank you!
vaughn  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2005 2:05:33 AM(UTC)
vaughn

Jose, [quote=hard drive" is actual a file on the physical host machines physical hard drive. No matter what vitual host you load - the "hard drive" will be a file on your physical machine, Linux, Windows, whatever. These files can be huge depending on how big of "hard drive" you allocate to your virtual machine. When you create a new virtual machine you tell VMWare what type of machine it is going to be and where it is stored. When you start the new virtual machine VMWare goes through a BIOS check like a physical machine. You then install what ever OS you are loading just like you would on a physical machine {you still need to have the media for what ever you are loading}. The only difference is that once everything is loaded the drivers {video, audio, NIC} are VMWare's. It knows how to interface with the physical hardware on the physical host {video card, onboard audio, network card, whatever}. I am getting ready to load my C++ for the DevKit. I clone {copy an existing version of a virtual machine} to a new virtual machine location, run sysprep, and add it to my domain - load what ever I want. It is a completely seperate machine. If I am testing something and don't want to harm my production machine, I can clone a virtual machine, do the test, and no matter the result my original was not touched or harmed. The current version of VMWare even comes with a movie recorder to record your activity, like Patricks lessons. If you are looking to test VMWare - I believe it is a free download and will work for 30 days. They also have a player like Microsoft's Office reader that will open Office documents so you don't have to buy the whole suite. The reader works with existing virtual machines of both VMWare & VirtualPC. I tested the Linux version of the player with an existing Win2k virtual box. Worked like a champ. I also have Linux virtual machines on my XP box. I have one high end XP desktop machine and a beefy file server with lots of space. They are gigabit and all of my virtual machines are stored on the file server but ran from my desktop. You can configure the virtual machine to talk over the physical network as any other machine would or have it isolated for testing questionable or harmful stuff. I can't say enough about this product, and I don't own any of their stock. It is that good! v
Jose  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, November 15, 2005 2:52:33 AM(UTC)
Jose

Thanks, VM. I'm forever stuck with some legacy DOS apps, and would love to try Linux - VMWare looks like something worth spending some learning-curve time on. j '-)