logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ladytendaha  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2005 10:18:26 AM(UTC)
ladytendaha

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Can you tell me how to get more than 5 days worth of data on intraday charts? I have tried changing the x-axis loaded and displayed times to no avail. I am using a local data link in Saudi Arabia and am wondering if it's limitations on their side? They too only show 5 days worth of data on their online intraday graphs, could that be limiting Metastock's capabilities? Thanks for any help that you can give me.
Jose  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:36:24 PM(UTC)
Jose

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I believe that there is a limit of roughly maximum 64,000 data bars that may be displayed by MS Pro on a chart. If you are using tick data, perhaps this limit is reached after 5 days' worth of data. jose '-) http://www.metastocktools.com
ladytendaha  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2005 1:52:37 PM(UTC)
ladytendaha

I have tried other time frames up to 60 minutes but again it just gives me a lot fewer bars but still within the 5 days time frame. Do you think there's another place that I could configure the data to come in differently? I have read several places of traders using weeks or more of data on their intraday charts and I am extremely curious how they do it since I think it may help me to find better entry points.
Jose  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2005 3:57:45 PM(UTC)
Jose

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Try this: Double-click on the chart's date bar, "Scale" tab in the X-Axis Properties dialog box, and change the first date loaded to a month ago. If the above works to display more then 5 days' data, then do this: MetaStock -> File -> Open -> Options -> Load Options -> Load 64000 periods. jose '-) http://www.metastocktools.com
ladytendaha  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:40:02 AM(UTC)
ladytendaha

Thanks but neither of those worked alone or together. Are other people able to get more than 5 days of data on their intraday charts in any time frame- whether tick, 5 minute, 60 minute etc...? I am still wondering if it has to do with our local data server or if it is a Metastock issue?
Patrick  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 3:50:18 AM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Is this local data or data on demand? ( yes I know chances are it's local data but I just want to be sure ... ) Did your provider give you historical data or did you start storing data on your machine only recently? Patrick :mrgreen:
ladytendaha  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:06:55 AM(UTC)
ladytendaha

I bought Metastock in April and my sales agent here in Saudi Arabia said that I needed to pay for a subscription to a company here (the only company) that would be the data feed for Metastock. I have a cd from that company that I installed and from there I simply log on to their site and they "Update Metastock" each time I log on. As for The Downloader- it is non-functional here, I can only receive my data from their side down to mine. I noticed around a month after using Metastock that the default dates in the x-axis properties that you can choose the amount of data to load was now in the Arabic calendar (though when I choose the calendar itself I get an English one to click from). Before that month or so it had been in English and no matter what I do I am unable to get rid of those Arabic dates, so I assumed it had something to do with the servers data and how they send it. Hence, why I wonder if it is a limitation by the data server and not Metastock. In general I love Metastock and understand that many of the shortfalls that I experience here have nothing to do with the product per se but are due to how I receive data. But until some competition is here for providing data I'll probably just have to deal with it. I thought it was worth a shot though since I really felt that more data on my chart may help me keep a feel of where the larger trend is for the short term, especially when searching quickly for intraday moves on various stocks. I hope that this answered your question since I'm not really sure about the data side of all this and how it affects my display.
Patrick  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 4:40:00 AM(UTC)
Patrick

The reason I was asking is because Jose already made you checked that you loaded and displayed enough data on your chart. Which means that if the data was available you would see it on your chart. He also mentioned th 65000 records limitation but on a 60 minute chart that represent a lot more than 5 days ... The only remaining unknown is how the data was updated and how much history you had to start with ... Did you confirm with your data vendor that they can or did provide you with more than 5 days worth of intraday data? Is this data only available in a 1minute periodicity? or can you store local 60 minute files ... Not to say it is not metastock's fault but I just want to check the easy things first :D Patrick :mrgreen:
ladytendaha  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:07:00 AM(UTC)
ladytendaha

I must admit that I haven't pursued the data side very extensively simply due to their lack of knowledge about the techical side of Metastock, they're more tuned to sales. So I was hoping too that it was a simple fix on the Metastock side! Again, I'll try to give you the answers by describing my situation because I'm really not very technically oriented. First of all, the data was updated to begin with when I hooked up to the provider and I then increased the amount of daily info back to the year 1990 with no problem. Around once per month I go ahead and "Download History" which is supposed to give me an up to date complete history of the data for say 5 years. This info is fed directly to Metastock without me doing anything but clicking that from my data server. There is no where to my knowledge of a place to configure intraday data dates the way there is for historical, so again, I was hoping to get around their limits through Metastock tweaking. I'm not sure what you mean by storing local 60 minute files so I'm not sure how to answer that. Could you clarify that one for me? the Periodicity on the intraday chart can be anything I choose, from tick to 60 minute to other
Patrick  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 5:32:23 AM(UTC)
Patrick

In the downloader, click on file open, take a look at your data folder and the securities inside and tell me what periodictiy your files are. Are they all 1 minute, tick or are they a mix of everything? When you say data server, are you talking about an external application or inside MetaStock? Patrick :mrgreen:
ladytendaha  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 6:15:18 AM(UTC)
ladytendaha

When I open the data folder in the downloader it says they are all tick and the dates correspond to 6 days apart numerically, though using the Arabic calendar (18/08/26 first date to 24/08/26 last date). By data server I mean what people in the US use like Reuters datalink or like those vendors listed in the downloader. That's what I'm calling my vendor because I'm not sure what to call them. Maybe I will call it data vendor from here on! They did tell me here that the dowloader wouldn't work nor would the scanning function (The Explorer, though I have found to function seemingly fine to me). Maybe I can make the downloader work as well if I simply knew more technically! Maybe they said these wouldn't work simply because they themselves didn't know how to make them work, not because it was impossible necessarily.
hayseed  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 6:34:52 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey ladytendaha.... not trying to change your data delivery method, but was wondering why the downloader does not work over there.... if you have access to this forum you must have internet access which should imply the downloader will work.... with a data provider that is.... you didn't mention which market your in but quotecenter has the saudi exchange.... the 60 minute files patrick mention are intraday hourly charts.... my version of meta will show several months of intraday data..... the best way, for me, to change the amount of days shown is to change the load options, similar to what jose posted...... when you open a chart look under options tab for 'load options'.... change it to something like 'load 1000' and 'display 500'.... that should give you several months showing on the hourly charts..... holler back if ya don't follow and i'll post it better....h
vince  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 9:56:26 AM(UTC)
vince

As a previous poster has mentioned Metastock has a limit of 65ooo bars.... The way around this limitation is to have symbols in tick and in 1min or even 5min.... I have over 2 years of RT data but if i want to view a 60min tick chart that has more than 65000 tick bars i would be limited to about 3 days depending on the trades of that stock....so i view 60min 1min bars which would give me several months..........60min 5min bars gives 65000 5min bars...= several years go to file new security type the name and symbol change the interval to 1min Press create That should do it... the entire symbol list can be done via lookup etc.... Hope this helps...... I have found there is no need for tick data when viewing months of chart data...
ladytendaha  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 12:14:49 PM(UTC)
ladytendaha

I'll need to take some time to try the suggestions but I can tell you right now that I had no idea that I had another option for a vendor, they certainly didn't let me know that! My three month subscription expires in a week and I will definitely try QuoteCenter. When I bought Metastock from this vendor they said that I must use their feed because it was the only one for the Saudi market. It makes sense for them to tell me that since their main sales is the data feed and I guess they would say basically anything to keep me dependent upon their service. I am totally amazed that there's another option. Thanks so much for opening my eyes to that because the local feed is often unreliable and has caused me many heartaches to say the least. I just hope that there's no catch to it for me because it simply seems too good to be true since rarely does anything run that smoothly here. I'll try the suggestions and contact QuoteCenter and see what happens from here. Thanks everyone.
ladytendaha  
#15 Posted : Wednesday, September 28, 2005 1:30:47 PM(UTC)
ladytendaha

I tried Vince's method of trying to change the interval by creating new securities but the only options I have to choose from is daily, weekly and monthly. Is there a different place to find intraday options? It seems to make a lot of sense to me what is being said, that if I changed the incoming feed to a higher interval that it would give me more data, but I'm still unable to change that so far. Anymore suggestions on that front? Hayseed I have tried many different load and display options and also by choosing "prompt for dates" but it never changed anything for me. I even put the 64000 number there for load and display and absolutely nothing changed. I would give anything to have access to 2 years of RT data or several months of intraday data! The quickest interval I use is 5-minutes anyhow and really I am looking for trades to hold for around 1-3 days, I just would like better entry points and maybe I wouldn't have to be in the trade for that long or wouldn't get shaken out so easily from our high volatility. Our stocks are quite volatile both intraday and even longer due to a high amount of speculators and our stocks are not highly diluted. Shares of any of the 78 traded companies average well-above $100 each with the majority of them trading around twice that. Due to the limited number of shares and the high number of everyday speculators (due to excess liquidity from oil earnings) we are on a constant rollercoaster. Any longer term info that I could access at a glance would be invaluable I think. Thanks yet again for everyone's help.