logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kevinchen  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 27, 2005 12:17:18 AM(UTC)
kevinchen

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi there, I've just made a change of data provider. The 2 sets of data are using different tickers & file directory. I've got quite a number of Metastock charts in the old folder. How can I make a switch from the old folder to the new one without re-creating the charts? Does anyone has similar experience to share? Thanks!
MSInfo  
#2 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2005 12:09:18 AM(UTC)
MSInfo

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

[color=red:53feec5900]Edited By Patrick[/color] Wow what a load of venom .... From what I read you are an advanced MetaStock user and you know quite a lot about it. Hell you might even be selling it or some other plug in for it ;) Now if you are going to help, then let me welcome you and just warn you that I do NOT TOLERATE this type of attitude. Yes MetaStock is not flawless ... Yes it could be improved ... But the forum is not about that, it is about helping each other and do the best we can to make the use of MetaStock better. This is my last warning, another post like this and you will be banned from this forum. Patrick :mrgreen:
Patrick  
#3 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2005 3:53:31 AM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
KevinChen, Unfortunately MSInfo is right. There is no easy way to go from one data set to another. However I would recommend that you create a template for each charts that you would absolutely like to save, and recreate the others manually. It will be a little work ... Patrick :mrgreen:
KevinC  
#4 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2005 2:55:06 PM(UTC)
KevinC

KevinChen, What data provider did you move from and which did you move to? What type of securities do you have stored locally (i.e. stocks, mutual funds, indices, etc)?
hayseed  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 29, 2005 3:13:08 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey kevinchen.... was just fixin to ask the same questions kevin asked and in addtion, could you give me a couple examples of the old ticker vs the new ticker.... such as 'csco' was the orignal and 'us;csco' being the new.... or is it tickers such as the reuters broad maket indicators......if ya have the time....thanks.....h
kevinchen  
#6 Posted : Monday, August 1, 2005 6:59:30 AM(UTC)
kevinchen

I'm using Metastock for stock & shares charting. Managed to find a way to 'transer' the charts though it still involve quite some work. Better than creating all the charts w all the trendline studies & indicators all over again which will be a far bigger pain. Thanks!
StorkBite  
#7 Posted : Monday, August 1, 2005 7:07:27 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Kevin- Will you please post your solution here so that other members can take advantage of your insight in the future? What were the symbols that you had to transfer and how did you do it? g_ :D
kevinchen  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 1, 2005 7:20:50 AM(UTC)
kevinchen

The 2 folders are basically containing (nearly) the same list of shares w different length of historical data. Steps that I've taken: 1> Merge the 2 security counters so that the destination folder contains the combined historical data. 2> Create the chart on the destination older or the counter u're looking at, resulting in the chart C99.MWS being created 3> From the source folder, copy the data together w the chart to a 3rd folder, eg. Temp 4> Replace the chart C99.MWS in destination w the chart in Temp, keeping the filename as C99.MWS 5> Refresh the chart w the new data in destination folder It's tedious but that's the best that I've managed. Anyone has better method? Plse share.....