logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
robcpettit  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2005 9:07:22 AM(UTC)
robcpettit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

hi, I have price data in severel excel files, what I would like to do is convert these to Metastock. I seem to remember along time ago doing this, but cant remember how. I know I can dde link them but I find this makes opening slow. So I prefer them as individual metastock files. If I explain what I want to do maybe theres a better way. I want to backtest My decision making, so system tester is out. So i then thought that if I have 3 charts in a layout with say history from 2000 to now, and displayed say 2000 to 2001 weekly, I could move one week at a time make a decision and see how it pans out. This doesnt work because I can only move forward on one chart at a time, unless theres a way of having all charts move forward together, one week. Reason for all charts is if they were ft100/200/350. So Im now thinking that if I take a price file say ft100, and trim down to 2000 to 2001 = file 1 then 2000 to feb 2001 = file 2, 2000 to 2001 march = file 3 etc, place all the files in a folder, I have to name something like ft100/1 ft100/2 ft100/3 etc. If I did this for 3 charts, each having ther own folder, when in a layout i changed to the next chart they would move to the next month. The reason for excel is I can write a macro to trim the data and save as files. Just havnt figured out how to convert to metastock. This sounds crazy, but seems rationale to me. Any advice appreciated Regards Robert
investorretired  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2005 1:05:47 PM(UTC)
investorretired

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

I have copied Excel data to MetaStock by what I call the ‘Brut Force Method.” It’s nothing more than copying and pasting into Downloader. Of course, this is slow and time consuming process but it works. There may be a more mechanical procedure and you may want to check with Patrick.
wabbit  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 4, 2005 1:16:27 PM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)