logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
andreasrothe  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2005 11:43:41 AM(UTC)
andreasrothe

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

:?: Am I missing something? In System tester, the tabs seem to only make buying an instrument possible (with the closure of that instrument being achieved by the rules under 'Sell Order'). Am I right? The reason why I say this is because I have entered a simple rule 'High>Low', ie always true, under the 'Sell Order' (which in currencies/futures would imply that I want to enter a short trade), and simulated it, and get absolutely no trades being entered into. Also, when I look at the help, it says: The System Editor offers four rules for initiating buy/sell signals: Buy Order This rule specifies when the system should purchase a given number of shares of the current security. Sell Order This rule specifies when the system should sell one or more existing long positions. If I am right, then System Tester cannot be used to test strategies for currencies/futures. Any other tool (inside Metastock) that would be useful?
Patrick  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2005 3:01:58 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Please give me all the details ... I need the code for each, and all the settings you have used ... ( position settings,comission and etc ... ) Same thing for your other question that I locked. Now please don't post anything else about the system tester until we get these first question answered ... Obviously there is something not set properly ... Thanks, Patrick :mrgreen:
edwin4400  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2005 3:16:03 PM(UTC)
edwin4400

Well, I think if u want to enter a short trade, u should use Sell Short order instead of sell order. Sell order is to exit a long trade that has been in force. Hope this helps. Edwin
andreasrothe  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2005 4:37:10 PM(UTC)
andreasrothe

edwin4400 wrote:
Well, I think if u want to enter a short trade, u should use Sell Short order instead of sell order. Sell order is to exit a long trade that has been in force. Hope this helps. Edwin
Thanks Edwin, now I understand. I am not used to this terminology (I am used to a 'sell order' being entering a short trade; not closing a long position). I also figured out that 'Buy to cover order' means closing a 'Sell short order'. Thanks again.
andreasrothe  
#5 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2005 4:43:54 PM(UTC)
andreasrothe

Patrick wrote:
Please give me all the details ... I need the code for each, and all the settings you have used ... ( position settings,comission and etc ... ) Same thing for your other question that I locked. Thanks, Patrick :mrgreen:
Which one did you lock - the GBPUSD one :?:
andreasrothe  
#6 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2005 5:05:33 PM(UTC)
andreasrothe

andreasrothe wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Please give me all the details ... I need the code for each, and all the settings you have used ... ( position settings,comission and etc ... ) Same thing for your other question that I locked. Thanks, Patrick :mrgreen:
Which one did you lock - the GBPUSD one :?:
Patrick, in trying to re-create the issue to give you the settings, etc, I discovered I was being stupid. My sincerest apologies. There definitely is no bug in System Tester, as my heading implied. I had made a mistake, sorry.
Patrick  
#7 Posted : Saturday, June 25, 2005 5:08:17 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
No problem, no harm done :wink: Patrick :mrgreen: