logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Basiez  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 15, 2005 3:13:23 PM(UTC)
Basiez

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Hi guys and girls, How do you feel about using MetaStock on physical commodities like power, gas and coal. Normally, I would say physical depends on supply and demand. But i have done some research and technical analysis does work..............., at least that is my opinion..... What do the experts find? And what indicators do they use? Bas
wabbit  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2005 12:13:07 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Was thanked: 16 time(s) in 16 post(s)
MS is just a charting tool. (Just a tool, humphf! - sorry Equis people! A special tool.) If you can buy and sell it, its price movements can be charted here. MS doesn't recognise where the data comes from or the difference between commodities, it just plots date, open, high, low, close, volume and open interest data for whatever you feed it. Use whatever indicators you like. Some will suit your trtading style, some wont. wabbit :D P.S. BTW - another use for MS. I was trying to get some data to graph in Excel and it wasn't going smoothly. I didn't have much time, so I converted the graph data into MS data and imported it into MS. Voila. My graphs and all the tools I ever needed to analyse it. Stock prices, no. I was actually dealing with non-harmonic movements in a free suspension bridge!
Basiez  
#3 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2005 8:11:00 AM(UTC)
Basiez

thats what i thought, but i wanted to try and get some discussions started and failed miserably! in the end demand and supply in physicsal markets can be seen as quarterly and yearly figures in stocks, there are a couple big moves a year on physical / fundamental new and the rest is technicals......
rolfwidmer  
#4 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:34:40 AM(UTC)
rolfwidmer

Hi Wabbit how did you converted the data to MetaStock format? do you use a special tool ? Rolf
wabbit wrote:
MS is just a charting tool. P.S. BTW - another use for MS. I was trying to get some data to graph in Excel and it wasn't going smoothly. I didn't have much time, so I converted the graph data into MS data and imported it into MS. Voila. My graphs and all the tools I ever needed to analyse it. Stock prices, no. I was actually dealing with non-harmonic movements in a free suspension bridge!
wabbit  
#5 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2005 9:39:17 AM(UTC)
wabbit

Create an excel spreadsheet with 7 columns, Date, O,H,L,C,V,OI. Populate one column with the data, the rest can be zeroes, against an arbitrary date. Save the file as CSV. Use the downloader to import the file into MS. Wasn't exceptionally easy but extremely do-able! wabbit :D
Marilyn  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2005 3:05:40 PM(UTC)
Marilyn

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Wabbit! You are awesome! I am impressed! :)M
wabbit  
#7 Posted : Thursday, June 16, 2005 3:32:24 PM(UTC)
wabbit

I also once used MS to prove to someone about moving averages and error theory. I set the open and close price as the root data and the high and low as the error difference from the root, and plotted an OHLC bar in MS Much easier than playing around in Excel wabbit :D