logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
StorkBite  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 5:39:15 AM(UTC)
StorkBite

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 14 time(s) in 10 post(s)
Anyone using XP Pro- I have a problem that I just discovered. Whenever I installed MS RT from the administrator account, but try to access it from another account, the server can't be found. Is that just the way it is, or am I doing something wrong?
hayseed  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 12:43:41 PM(UTC)
hayseed

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

hey g.... your correct.... the user accounts are for just that purpose to keep the certain files or programs from certain users... in most setups only the administrator can add or remove programs...... that has obvious benifits in the professional world but can be annoying in ours..... you should be able to right click on the meta bull, desktop icon, and choose 'run as'..... type in your admin info, it'll open then.... you might want to make sure meta is a shared file, available for all users.... h
StorkBite  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 4:42:32 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Run as... That worked, but it still requires that you use 'run as' every time (though I see why). Hey, I've never used that command before. Maybe I'm staring to become more computer literate now. :wink: Still, since there is only one person that will be using MS, I think I'm going to uninstall it and reinstall it under the user ID instead of the administrator ID. That will be the right way to handle it. Thanks again, H!
Patrick  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 5:21:38 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
In XP there is something called "SET PROGRAM DEFAULT ACCESS" somethin' ( Sorry I delete that kinda of stuff on my computer ) but it should allow you to set your account to have access to the metastock software without you having to reinstall the software. Patrick :mrgreen:
StorkBite  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 8:17:19 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

I can get to 'Set Program Access and Defaults'. It is available on the add-remove programs dialog as well. I don't see how to make it do what I need it to do. Any further instructions before I hit the self-destruct button? :cry:
Patrick  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 8:36:29 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Try this : Right Click on my computer and select manage. Open the local Users and groups fodler, open the users folder. In the list of users, find your account and right click on it. Select properties and click on the member of tab. If you see power user in the list remove it and add the administrator group. Patrick
StorkBite  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, June 8, 2005 10:05:04 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

It already lists administrators as the available group. :(
Patrick  
#8 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2005 3:11:00 AM(UTC)
Patrick

.... :( sorry I'm kinda sorta outa ideas I would right click on the shortcut select propertiesand goof around there but ultimately it is not worth the time, at this point you are better off uninstalling and reinstalling ... Patrick :mrgreen:
StorkBite  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2005 7:40:38 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

That's OK Patrick. I never figured that I had much of a chance to save it anyway. It's not that important, just a little time consuming. I'm fairly new with installing programs as the administrator. It's just a situation that I haven't come across before. I'm still learning. :D Thanks!
joetrade69  
#10 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2005 9:16:37 PM(UTC)
joetrade69

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Unverified Users

The install write to the CURRENT_USER part of the registry. If you installed using a different profile to what you plan on using it with, you will run into these problems. Either re-install as the user profile, or log-in as admin, export the HKCU\\Software\\Equis key to a central location that both profiles can access, than log-in as the user profile and install the reg file.
StorkBite  
#11 Posted : Thursday, June 9, 2005 9:59:37 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

Hmm... I'll have to check that out. It makes sense to me. I'll let you know. More than anything, I just want to see if I can fix it... for the experience. I don't really care one way or another if I have to reinstall. Now it is more of a challenge! Yee haw! :D
StorkBite  
#12 Posted : Saturday, June 11, 2005 3:32:49 PM(UTC)
StorkBite

JoeT- You're #1!! After backing up the registry, I exported the Equis key from the admin account and imported it into the user account. Everything works great. I'm sure this will help me out in the future with other software too. Thanks for the lesson! :D