logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gerard  
#1 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2005 8:34:52 PM(UTC)
gerard

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

I’m using Metastock EOD Ver 9 with a Paritech USA data feed. The USA shares are arranged alphabetically in a separate folder for each letter. All NSYE, AMEX & NASDAQ shares beginning with A are in one folder and those beginning with B in another. I’m wanting to make up filtered lists of these shares that I can add to sub-folders in Favourites. For instance I might want a list of all NSYE shares that are valued at over $1 billion. This information comes from a text file I can get from the internet, not from within Metastocks database so I cannot use Metastocks exploration programme to chose the shares list. Is there any way I can load an “external” list of shares into Metastock’s favourites folders. Any help much appreciated Cheers Gerard
Marilyn  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 22, 2005 10:59:47 PM(UTC)
Marilyn

You should create a custom symbol file ... Take a look at this post here http://forum.equis.com/viewtopic.php?t=98 Marilyn
gerard  
#3 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2005 9:39:09 AM(UTC)
gerard

Marilyn Thanks for the speedy reply. I've created a separate symbol list as you suggested but I cannot import the stock links into the Favorites. Each time I try "Add New Security" it simply creates a new data file in the last data folder I was looking at. I wonder if I haven't explained the position clearly in my original request. I have data for all these stocks, I just want to include the links from the data file into folders in the Favorites folder. For instance I have the chart for Microsoft in the "master" database in the folder named "M". I now want to add it to the Favorites folder named "Over $1billion". I dont want to create a new data file as this will mean I have 2 data files for Microsoft and trend lines etc I add into one will not show up in the second. Also, if I have more filtered lists this will add more data files for the same share. And it takes much longer to update all the new data files every day. I know how to add a file to Favorites individually but what I want to do is to add groups of say 500 shares to a Favorites folder. This would take forever doing it manually. I am afraid I could not see any way of adding the new shares list I had created in the "SYM" file in the Downloader folder into Favorites. Each time I tried it created new data files in whichever "Local" folder I had last visited. Hope this is clear!! Many thanks for your help. Cheers Gerard
Patrick  
#4 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2005 2:33:53 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi Gerard, Now that you have created your custom sym file, just run a dummy exploration on it and select all the results and add them to a favorite folder. Step by step. Click on tools, the explorer, click on new: Name the exploration : Dummy In column A type : C Click on ok. Select the dummy exploration, click on explore, click on add securities. Look for your sym file there ( make sure to select the online option, not the local data button), you should a folder with the name.sym Open it, press CTRL+A, click on open, click on ok. Let the exploration run. You should not have any rejects since we are not filtering on anything. When it's over click on report, then clcik on the second security in the list then the first one again and press shift+End this hsould highlight all the securites then right click and select add to favorites. Create your new folder and etc ... Patrick :D
gerard  
#5 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2005 3:57:39 PM(UTC)
gerard

Patrick Many thanks for your reply. I think I might know why I'm having such difficulty. I'm using the Paritech EOD data which is all off line. I download the whole USA price list for each day and update my prices database on my PC using Paritech's own programme "Data Director" I do not have an <Online> option in the Open Securities box, only History, Local and Favorites. When I open the Dummy exploration and try "Add Securities" the box only considers SmartCharts in the "Files of Type" box and will not let me look at *.SYM types. Is there any way round this? If not I'll try Paritech and see if they have any suggestions. Cheers and many thanks for your help Gerard PS I've attempted to add Screenshots of what I'm talking about as an attachment. No sure if I've got the right format though!
Patrick  
#6 Posted : Monday, May 23, 2005 4:09:59 PM(UTC)
Patrick

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Yep that makes sense :( Let me think of another way of doing this ... Patrick