logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Patrick  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, May 3, 2005 2:20:35 AM(UTC)
Patrick

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Hi all, I was just reading Hayseed's last tip ( Which was really good as always ) and I was thinking that we could create a self installing list of formulae rather than just posting links to some websites or posting the code. The problem I see with this, is, first of all which formulae do we want? All of them just the way they are? Only the ones complete with a system test and expert advisor? It would take quite some time copying and pasting these formulae and the creating the self install so it would not be on my priority list but it is something that could be done. Let me know what you think. Patrick :mrgreen:
henry1224  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 9, 2005 10:07:48 PM(UTC)
henry1224

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Patrick, Here is the problem with a self install of custom formulas, I have a "super" indicator. One that I have designed for all of my needs. now Joe new Metastock user creates an indicator also called "Super" When I download this new group of indicators, Metastock tells me that it will overwrite "my" old "Super" with Joe's new "Super" indicator. Thus my list of indicators will become corrupted with inferior indicators. If a member is too lazy to cut and paste formula then it's his loss. If he wants to change the name to super 2 thats his choice, but at least he's not stuck with Joe's Inferior Super indicator. Now what I said about Indicators also refers to systems, explorations,and EXPERTS This problem of corrupting Formulea is of the utmost concern to anybody who uses the FmlVar( ) function or Fml( ) functions It will only open up a rat nest of problems!!!
Patrick  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2005 2:24:31 AM(UTC)
Patrick

ouch ...Now that you present it this way it does sound like a terrible idea :D You are right though, so I will give up this. Patrick :mrgreen:
hayseed  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2005 5:16:55 AM(UTC)
hayseed

hey patrick.... if you have the time, what was to be the method on self installs..... was the plan to export it out of your system , then post as a dat file attachment for us to download and import into ours.....h
Patrick  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2005 2:15:21 PM(UTC)
Patrick

The plan was to import it in my system, then export it using the dev kit into an executable install that would automatically import all the formulae in your system. I have actually done that many times for other things ... Why? Patrick
hayseed  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2005 3:56:18 PM(UTC)
hayseed

hey patrick.... your orignal suggestion sounded interesting and is something i have been working on myself ..... and of course henrys concerns are vaild but those concerns are not without solutions.... metastock can be intimadating, or least it was for me those first few months..... early on i tried to 'install' some of jose's free codes without much success and it was not from me being lazy or jose's code being difficult..... it might be easy for those long in metastock to forget how hard it is for us newcomers.... anyway, i had been trying to work a way to move indicators, templates, and such in an user friendly manner.... shortening the next guy/gals learning curve through self install's was my goal...... free equis forum style.....h
Jose  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, May 10, 2005 6:10:42 PM(UTC)
Jose

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Of course, all these automatic install problems could have been avoided if Equis hadn't removed the option to change formulae folders in MetaStock from version 8.0 onwards... jose '-) http://www.metastocktools.com
henry1224  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2005 12:32:44 AM(UTC)
henry1224

Patrick, I'm glad that you see my concern that this self exe file could cause. One option could be a read me file showing all of the new formulea names,so that I could then rename any possible conflicting formulas Another option is for metastock to automatically rename it to MACD 2 or MACD new. If I had large holdings that were being traded with "MY SYSTEM" and after Importing new Formula and finding "MY SYSTEM" being altered because of this same name convention would cause quite a stir! A tip for any newbe, if you make any changes to experts from any ADD-on, Rename it to Ver 2 or Pat's MACD
minnamor  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2005 6:39:35 AM(UTC)
minnamor

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Maybe already considered, but why not do like MS add-ons, i.e. start indicators, explorations and systems with something like "MSF_...." or any sign, such as "<" or ">". Signs have the advantage of being on the top of the pile as far as I can see.
Patrick  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, May 11, 2005 2:40:39 PM(UTC)
Patrick

That could be a solution but then I would have to edit all the Fml calls ... Why not, very good suggestion. Patrick