logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rible172@icloud.com  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 6, 2021 9:50:00 AM(UTC)
rible172@icloud.com

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to the Metastock formula language and am just trying to find out what I've done wrong in the following code snippet. The code is designed to find the latest peak and trough in an oscillator and then find the highest and lowest prices within 5 bars of the oscillator peak/trough.

Unfortunately, the code doesn't work, however, if I replace the variables TroughOffset and PeakOffset with constants, it works as expected. I have proven that the calculation of TroughOffset and PeakOffset variables is correct.

Has anyone any idea on how I can fix this issue please.

OSC:= Fml("My Oscillator"); PeakBar:=PeakBars(1,OSC,10); TroughBar:=TroughBars(1,OSC,10); TroughBar:=If(TroughBar<PeakBar,TroughBars(2,OSC,10),TroughBar);

PeakOffset:=0-(PeakBar-4); TroughOffset:=0-(TroughBar-4);

PL:=ExtFml("ASI.LLV",ExtFml("ASI.Ref",L,TroughOffset),10); PH:=ExtFml("ASI.HHV",ExtFml("ASI.Ref",H,PeakOffset),10);

PL; PH;

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 3:49:20 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: rible172@icloud.com Go to Quoted Post

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to the Metastock formula language and am just trying to find out what I've done wrong in the following code snippet. The code is designed to find the latest peak and trough in an oscillator and then find the highest and lowest prices within 5 bars of the oscillator peak/trough.

Unfortunately, the code doesn't work, however, if I replace the variables TroughOffset and PeakOffset with constants, it works as expected. I have proven that the calculation of TroughOffset and PeakOffset variables is correct.

Has anyone any idea on how I can fix this issue please.

OSC:= Fml("My Oscillator"); PeakBar:=PeakBars(1,OSC,10); TroughBar:=TroughBars(1,OSC,10); TroughBar:=If(TroughBar<PeakBar,TroughBars(2,OSC,10),TroughBar);

PeakOffset:=0-(PeakBar-4); TroughOffset:=0-(TroughBar-4);

PL:=ExtFml("ASI.LLV",ExtFml("ASI.Ref",L,TroughOffset),10); PH:=ExtFml("ASI.HHV",ExtFml("ASI.Ref",H,PeakOffset),10);

PL; PH;

Hi,

Are you getting inaccurate values or no values at all? I replaced your Fml("My Oscillator") variable with RSI(14) and I did get the formula to return high/low price values.

rible172@icloud.com  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2021 6:05:39 PM(UTC)
rible172@icloud.com

Hi. Thanks for looking at that for me. Yes, I was getting a response and it was a valid high/low. The problem is that it is no where near the peak/trough of the oscillator.
MS Support  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, February 10, 2021 5:38:41 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)

Originally Posted by: rible172@icloud.com Go to Quoted Post
Hi. Thanks for looking at that for me. Yes, I was getting a response and it was a valid high/low. The problem is that it is no where near the peak/trough of the oscillator.

Hi again and sorry for the delay,

One thing that may help here is plotting the actual PeakOffset and TroughOffset outputs to see what they look like.

When I do this, sometimes these numbers turn positive (indicating a forward reference for the Ref calls). When you use constants, are you always using negative numbers for the reference?

Edited by user Friday, February 12, 2021 3:09:22 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

rible172@icloud.com  
#5 Posted : Friday, February 12, 2021 10:43:47 PM(UTC)
rible172@icloud.com

Hi. Thank you for your feedback and I agree that we sometimes get positive results from the calculated offsets. This was not intended and I have modified my code to protect against this scenario. Unfortunately, fixing this problem did not resolve my issue but it did make the results more consistent. It now appears to return the price 5 bars before the LLV/HHV search range. Still wrong but consistently wrong. I have listed my new code below using the Stoch as the oscillator. It would be very much appreciated if you could have another look at this for me. I would very much like to resolve this issue. Thanks STO := Stoch(5,3); PeakBar:=PeakBars(1,STO,10); TroughBar:=TroughBars(1,STO,10); TroughBar:=If(TroughBar<PeakBar,TroughBars(2,STO,10),TroughBar); PeakOffset:=0-PeakBar+2; TroughOffset:=0-TroughBar+2; PeakOffset:=If(PeakOffset>0,0,PeakOffset); TroughOffset:=If(TroughOffset>0,0,TroughOffset); PL:=ExtFml("ASI.LLV",ExtFml("ASI.Ref",L,TroughOffset),5); PH:=ExtFml("ASI.HHV",ExtFml("ASI.Ref",H,PeakOffset),5); PeakOffset; TroughOffset; PL; PH;