logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
peter@metastock  
#1 Posted : Thursday, July 23, 2020 10:15:02 AM(UTC)
peter@metastock

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 7/21/2020(UTC)
Posts: 11
Location: Stockholm

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Metastock 17DC, Windows 10

I want to be able to have all my instruments from a custom list in one window and be able to cycle through them but only one (less preferred) method works.

I Created a custom list with Custom List Manager containing local data instruments. Opened the list in Power Console->Charts, all instruments in the list opened in their own window.

Arrows on chart window bottom right does not select the next instrument. Alt-mouse wheel / Alt-left/right arrow keys does nothing. File->Change Instrument->Next/Previous does not select the next instrument.

However: File->Change Instrument->Choose works, the selected instrument shows in the same window.

How can I have the other methods work?

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 27, 2020 2:29:08 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 10/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,654

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Originally Posted by: peter@metastock Go to Quoted Post

Metastock 17DC, Windows 10

I want to be able to have all my instruments from a custom list in one window and be able to cycle through them but only one (less preferred) method works.

I Created a custom list with Custom List Manager containing local data instruments. Opened the list in Power Console->Charts, all instruments in the list opened in their own window.

Arrows on chart window bottom right does not select the next instrument. Alt-mouse wheel / Alt-left/right arrow keys does nothing. File->Change Instrument->Next/Previous does not select the next instrument.

However: File->Change Instrument->Choose works, the selected instrument shows in the same window.

How can I have the other methods work?

Hello,

Typically there should be no problem using Next & Previous. We have seen some cases where certain combinations of local data could be potentially problematic (duplicate symbols) and we there might be issues when the instrument list is out of sync with what is actually in the data folder.

It might be best to contact out support directly to look into possible causes via https://www.metastock.com/company/contact.aspx. We could try and sort it out here as well. What data format are you using for your local list? i.e. CSV files, MSLocal Files, or Legacy files. Has the Next/Previous buttons ever worked?

peter@metastock  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 12:57:32 PM(UTC)
peter@metastock

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 7/21/2020(UTC)
Posts: 11
Location: Stockholm

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: peter@metastock Go to Quoted Post

Hello,

Typically there should be no problem using Next & Previous. We have seen some cases where certain combinations of local data could be potentially problematic (duplicate symbols) and we there might be issues when the instrument list is out of sync with what is actually in the data folder.

It might be best to contact out support directly to look into possible causes via https://www.metastock.com/company/contact.aspx. We could try and sort it out here as well. What data format are you using for your local list? i.e. CSV files, MSLocal Files, or Legacy files. Has the Next/Previous buttons ever worked?

I use CSV files directly. Shouldn't the Next/Previous work with that data? I tried to convert a few of these CSV files to LocalData format and opened them. Now all the Next/Previous methods work. So CSV files format doesn't allow Next/Previous? Where is that stated?

If I must use LocalData format, how can I have all of those files in ONE window and cycle through them? 

MS Support  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 4:27:22 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 10/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,654

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Originally Posted by: peter@metastock Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: peter@metastock Go to Quoted Post

Hello,

Typically there should be no problem using Next & Previous. We have seen some cases where certain combinations of local data could be potentially problematic (duplicate symbols) and we there might be issues when the instrument list is out of sync with what is actually in the data folder.

It might be best to contact out support directly to look into possible causes via https://www.metastock.com/company/contact.aspx. We could try and sort it out here as well. What data format are you using for your local list? i.e. CSV files, MSLocal Files, or Legacy files. Has the Next/Previous buttons ever worked?

I use CSV files directly. Shouldn't the Next/Previous work with that data? I tried to convert a few of these CSV files to LocalData format and opened them. Now all the Next/Previous methods work. So CSV files format doesn't allow Next/Previous? Where is that stated?

If I must use LocalData format, how can I have all of those files in ONE window and cycle through them? 

Hi,

Sorry about that. There does appear to be an issue that can occur with CSV files and the Next/Previous option. I have updated an issue we have for tracking this. Regarding MSLocal that you can use DownLoader to convert from CSV to MSLocal. When making a list in MetaStock you can Browse multiple times to multiple folders containing MSLocal files if you wish, and you should be able to use Next/Previous from such a list.

peter@metastock  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 29, 2020 4:33:48 PM(UTC)
peter@metastock

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 7/21/2020(UTC)
Posts: 11
Location: Stockholm

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: peter@metastock Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: peter@metastock Go to Quoted Post

Hello,

Typically there should be no problem using Next & Previous. We have seen some cases where certain combinations of local data could be potentially problematic (duplicate symbols) and we there might be issues when the instrument list is out of sync with what is actually in the data folder.

It might be best to contact out support directly to look into possible causes via https://www.metastock.com/company/contact.aspx. We could try and sort it out here as well. What data format are you using for your local list? i.e. CSV files, MSLocal Files, or Legacy files. Has the Next/Previous buttons ever worked?

I use CSV files directly. Shouldn't the Next/Previous work with that data? I tried to convert a few of these CSV files to LocalData format and opened them. Now all the Next/Previous methods work. So CSV files format doesn't allow Next/Previous? Where is that stated?

If I must use LocalData format, how can I have all of those files in ONE window and cycle through them? 

Hi,

Sorry about that. There does appear to be an issue that can occur with CSV files and the Next/Previous option. I have updated an issue we have for tracking this. Regarding MSLocal that you can use DownLoader to convert from CSV to MSLocal. When making a list in MetaStock you can Browse multiple times to multiple folders containing MSLocal files if you wish, and you should be able to use Next/Previous from such a list.

Well, I like to have well-defined cases which is not the case now. I can read a manual but nowhere is it stated that CSV files do not work with Next/Previous buttons.  When can I have an updated software version?

Edited by user Thursday, July 30, 2020 4:11:54 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

peter@metastock  
#6 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 9:22:51 AM(UTC)
peter@metastock

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 7/21/2020(UTC)
Posts: 11
Location: Stockholm

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
Regarding MSLocal that you can use DownLoader to convert from CSV to MSLocal. When making a list in MetaStock you can Browse multiple times to multiple folders containing MSLocal files if you wish, and you should be able to use Next/Previous from such a list.

It works when I select the first instrument in the list. From that window I can cycle through all instruments. However, if I save that window either as a chart or as a layout, close the window and open the saved chart or layout, the arrows in the lower right corner are grayed out. This must be a bug.

MS Support  
#7 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 4:03:02 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 10/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,654

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Originally Posted by: peter@metastock Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
Regarding MSLocal that you can use DownLoader to convert from CSV to MSLocal. When making a list in MetaStock you can Browse multiple times to multiple folders containing MSLocal files if you wish, and you should be able to use Next/Previous from such a list.

It works when I select the first instrument in the list. From that window I can cycle through all instruments. However, if I save that window either as a chart or as a layout, close the window and open the saved chart or layout, the arrows in the lower right corner are grayed out. This must be a bug.

Hi again and thank you for your message!

Lists are not saved as part of a saved chart or layout so when re-opening it has no recollection of the fact that the instrument was previously opened from a list. This is by design as there would be some challenges in doing so, i.e. if a layout was constructed from multiple lists, etc. I can write this up as a suggestion for improvement but I cannot say if/when such a feature might be implemented.

peter@metastock  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 5:25:20 PM(UTC)
peter@metastock

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 7/21/2020(UTC)
Posts: 11
Location: Stockholm

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
Lists are not saved as part of a saved chart or layout so when re-opening it has no recollection of the fact that the instrument was previously opened from a list. This is by design

What use is a layout then as it has no "recollection"?

How can I save a chart/layout and reopen it and it conforms to the style as I want it?

MS Support  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 30, 2020 8:09:17 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 10/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,654

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Originally Posted by: peter@metastock Go to Quoted Post

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
Lists are not saved as part of a saved chart or layout so when re-opening it has no recollection of the fact that the instrument was previously opened from a list. This is by design

What use is a layout then as it has no "recollection"?

How can I save a chart/layout and reopen it and it conforms to the style as I want it?

Hi again,

I have added your feedback to an issue we have tracking this in regards to lists. As for the value of a layout beyond this, it would essentially be in quickly recalling a particular set of charts/instruments.

Smart charts will retain any changes made to them even as you navigate to other instruments.

You can also save a layout as a template (Once you have a layout created, use File > Save as and change the Save Type to Template instead of Layout). You can then apply this template as you open instruments from lists. Within the Choose Instrument > Options tab, you can set the option to Use chart as template, so that as you navigate through your list it retains the template settings as you change instruments. However, when using templates it creates unsaved layouts/charts so these will not retain any customizations that you might draw on the charts beyond what was saved in the template.

peter@metastock  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 31, 2020 5:12:44 AM(UTC)
peter@metastock

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 7/21/2020(UTC)
Posts: 11
Location: Stockholm

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
You can also save a layout as a template (Once you have a layout created, use File > Save as and change the Save Type to Template instead of Layout). You can then apply this template as you open instruments from lists. Within the Choose Instrument > Options tab, you can set the option to Use chart as template, so that as you navigate through your list it retains the template settings as you change instruments. However, when using templates it creates unsaved layouts/charts so these will not retain any customizations that you might draw on the charts beyond what was saved in the template.

I have done exactly so. I must update the default template each time i make a change in a chart. It works but I don't beleive that's the way it was supposed to be done. How do you guys work with charts and layouts?

I will look into smart charts and see if they can solve the saving problem.

Edited by user Friday, July 31, 2020 5:13:27 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

peter@metastock  
#11 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2020 1:34:06 PM(UTC)
peter@metastock

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 7/21/2020(UTC)
Posts: 11
Location: Stockholm

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Smart charts did exactly the same as charts, not possible to cycle through instruments even with Metastock local data (Converted from CSV in Downloader).

When will this be addressed and fixed?

MS Support  
#12 Posted : Monday, August 3, 2020 2:09:32 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Rank: Advanced Member

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 10/8/2010(UTC)
Posts: 1,654

Thanks: 55 times
Was thanked: 133 time(s) in 129 post(s)
Originally Posted by: peter@metastock Go to Quoted Post

Smart charts did exactly the same as charts, not possible to cycle through instruments even with Metastock local data (Converted from CSV in Downloader).

When will this be addressed and fixed?

Hi,

When you say smart charts did the same, do you mean you used the "Use smart chart" option within Choose Instrument > Options? This will not change how layouts or saved charts work in respect to lists. The list is retained by opening instruments through the Power Console and not by re-opening saved charts or layouts.

It is possible we might be able to change this in the future (I have written comments into the issue to review the functionality) but I cannot say if/when such a change will be made.

peter@metastock  
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 4, 2020 12:32:31 PM(UTC)
peter@metastock

Rank: Member

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers
Joined: 7/21/2020(UTC)
Posts: 11
Location: Stockholm

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)

How do you guys work with charts and layouts? 

Users browsing this topic
Forum Jump  
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.