logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
borsaholic  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2019 7:07:20 PM(UTC)
borsaholic

Groups: Registered Users, Subscribers, Unverified Users

Hallo,

can you help please. I have this problem; I want to explore an indicator builder formula in the Explorer. I tried it again and again. But I never solved it. The results in the inner window of the chart are always not the equal with the results of Explorer. I do not know why.

Now the formula in the builder (the "Elliot Wave minimum % move" is 10):

{ User input }

pr:=Input("Elliot Wave minimum % move",

.001,100,2);

{ Beginner Elliot Wave stuff }

EWpk:=PeakBars(1,H,pr)=0;

EWtr:=TroughBars(1,L,pr)=0;

{ Intermediate Elliot Wave stuff }

zz:=Zig(C,pr,%);

zzHi:=Zig(H,pr,%);

zzLo:=Zig(L,pr,%);

avg:=(zzHi+zzLo)/2;

{ Advanced Elliot Wave stuff }

RetroSuccessSecret:=If(EWpk,zzHi,

If(EWtr,zzLo,If(avg>Ref(avg,-1),H,L)));

EW:=Zig(RetroSuccessSecret,pr,%);

{ Plot on price chart }

EW

In the Explorer I tried with fml(“Elliot Wave”), or fmlVar(“Elliot Wave”,”EW”) but it did not work correctly – different results. Can you help to convert the formula to the explorer language?

Thank you very, very much in advance.

Kindest regards

borsaholic

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, January 23, 2019 8:42:25 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)

Hi,

The first item to check would be ensuring the loaded records in your chart matches (or is close to) the load records in the explorer. I am not familiar with the code in this case, but I could see peaks and troughs generating significantly different results based on the starting point of the data.

If you are using MetaStock 12 or later, the Power Console typically has a "Default" load records of about 5 years of Daily data ~1250 records. Try setting your load records to this in the Explorer. Older versions of MetaStock (11 and prior) used "Load Options" when opening charts (File > Open > Options > Load Options) and you can ensure this Load amount matches the Explorer load amount. A lot of times people leave it on Load Minimum Records, which is OK for simple calculations, but can cause discrepancies with exponential and pattern-dependent formulas.

borsaholic  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 12:00:28 PM(UTC)
borsaholic

Hi,

thank you for your prompt reply. I tried your suggestions, here with daily explorations. Now, I have Metastock 10 RT. Unfortunately, nothing has changed – the problem is still there. It makes sense to me that the indicator builder formula language method is different as the formula method language in the Explorer. But I think, it can be converted i.e. translated – the formula would have to be changed. How, I don't know. Have you other recommendations?

Thank you.

MS Support  
#4 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 3:12:29 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Originally Posted by: borsaholic Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

thank you for your prompt reply. I tried your suggestions, here with daily explorations. Now, I have Metastock 10 RT. Unfortunately, nothing has changed – the problem is still there. It makes sense to me that the indicator builder formula language method is different as the formula method language in the Explorer. But I think, it can be converted i.e. translated – the formula would have to be changed. How, I don't know. Have you other recommendations?

Thank you.

Sorry should have paid a little closer attention to your code. If you do change the "Input" value in the chart to something other than the "Default" (input uses min/max/default) this will cause a discrepancy when used in Explorer because Explorer will not give you the opportunity to choose an input value, it will simply use the "Default" value of the formula.

In the Explorer, rather than using Input formulas you can just define a variable at the value you want to match the chart, such as:

Code:
pr:=10;

borsaholic  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 4:37:00 PM(UTC)
borsaholic

Hi,

I had already tried that too. No, the exploration results are different as in the chart. It is to despair.

I think Metastock can not inspire. Hope further, in this forum I find help.

Many Greetings

MS Support  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 4:55:06 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Hi,

I had already tried that too. No, the exploration results are different as in the chart. It is to despair.

I think Metastock can not inspire. Hope further, in this forum I find help.

Many Greetings

I am not sure. You might want to make sure you're not running the Exploration from a specific date vs. the most recent date. Within the Explorer when Editing your Exploration you can click "Options" and ensure it is using "Most Recent Date" and the correct Periodicity. When I took your formula and used it in both Explorer and the chart, I was able to get my Explorer result to match the chart result every time.

borsaholic  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 5:41:16 PM(UTC)
borsaholic

OK. Step by step I will try to understand and write the following formula in the table of the Explorer. But before I edit, I choose the "Options ..." button. Now I am in explorer options and load 1250 records. Daily values are being analyzed. Hope it does not change at hourly rates. Now the formula, as you had told me:

{ Plot on price chart }

EW

Is that OK? I've already tried it, but the results in the diagram are different.

MS Support  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 24, 2019 9:03:00 PM(UTC)
MS Support

OK. Step by step I will try to understand and write the following formula in the table of the Explorer. But before I edit, I choose the "Options ..." button. Now I am in explorer options and load 1250 records. Daily values are being analyzed. Hope it does not change at hourly rates. Now the formula, as you had told me:

{ Plot on price chart }

EW

Is that OK? I've already tried it, but the results in the diagram are different.

Hello again,

Within the Exploration Editor, there is also an Options button where you can specify the Exploration Date. You would want to make sure this was set to "Most Recent Date" and that your chart is also loading to the most recent data (and from the same source).

The 1250 was a recommend based on newer versions of MetaStock (although I am not sure how much the load will impact this situation). Ultimately you want the Exploration Load Options to match your chart Load Options (File > Open > Options > Load Options). Note that if you have "Retain Scale" enabled in the X-Axis properties of your charts, this would override your chart Load Options settings.

Beyond this it might be helpful to contact our support department to see if they might be able to determine what is wrong.

Edited by user Friday, January 25, 2019 3:35:04 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

borsaholic  
#9 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 10:41:48 AM(UTC)
borsaholic

I did everything you recommended. Exploration for the current day (e.g., today) matches the values with the chart values. But if I only test one day back, then the values are no longer correct. I tried a lot. No solution found. Now I ask, what's up?

From a reputable program, I can expect calculations based on a formula to give the same values (points) - both in the indicator builder and in Explorer. If I can not test back or the handling is not user friendly, what should this program do? After all, you do not want to deal with the program as much more with the stock.

It is useless and is just gimmick. Once I made the mistake of paying $ 1000 for this toy. Never again! In addition, the program is not innovative at all. Elliot waves - not in the standard program, such as at El Wave (Prognosis) explorable and much more. I have tested many programs, and what a regular investor gets to buy is mostly bauble. The program makers are not open. If you combined only the respective strengths of these programs, it would be a huge progress. But you could still produce better, much better programs.

Of course, there would be such a program, with which you can really get profits - can, not could - up to 30% per month and maybe more, so in 5 months the quintuple. But this program would be worth $ 100,000. Standard investors might hardly afford it. And such or similar program exists. If I had 10 programmers and mathematicians who also had an understanding of exchanges or stock histories (so fundamental and technical analysis), I would be able to launch such a program in just 2 years - yes, hard work. I myself have programming skills, do not be fooled.

Nevertheless, thank you for your help and best regards.

borsaholic

MS Support  
#10 Posted : Friday, January 25, 2019 3:40:27 PM(UTC)
MS Support

I did everything you recommended. Exploration for the current day (e.g., today) matches the values with the chart values. But if I only test one day back, then the values are no longer correct. I tried a lot. No solution found. Now I ask, what's up?

From a reputable program, I can expect calculations based on a formula to give the same values (points) - both in the indicator builder and in Explorer. If I can not test back or the handling is not user friendly, what should this program do? After all, you do not want to deal with the program as much more with the stock.

It is useless and is just gimmick. Once I made the mistake of paying $ 1000 for this toy. Never again! In addition, the program is not innovative at all. Elliot waves - not in the standard program, such as at El Wave (Prognosis) explorable and much more. I have tested many programs, and what a regular investor gets to buy is mostly bauble. The program makers are not open. If you combined only the respective strengths of these programs, it would be a huge progress. But you could still produce better, much better programs.

Of course, there would be such a program, with which you can really get profits - can, not could - up to 30% per month and maybe more, so in 5 months the quintuple. But this program would be worth $ 100,000. Standard investors might hardly afford it. And such or similar program exists. If I had 10 programmers and mathematicians who also had an understanding of exchanges or stock histories (so fundamental and technical analysis), I would be able to launch such a program in just 2 years - yes, hard work. I myself have programming skills, do not be fooled.

Nevertheless, thank you for your help and best regards.

borsaholic

Inspecting historical values in the Explorer seems to match too, but perhaps this issue has more to do with limitations of Zig and Zag functions. Per the Help topic on this indicator:

"The Zig Zag indicator is useful to filter out "noise" in a security's price and indicators. It is primarily intended to aid in the visual inspection of a chart.

The Zig Zag indicator can be useful for those concerned with Elliot Wave counts since it helps identify significant turning points.

Be forewarned, that the last leg (i.e., segment) of the Zig Zag is dynamic, meaning that it can change. Therefore, be careful when designing system tests, experts, etc. based on the Zig Zag indicator."

borsaholic  
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 1:12:00 PM(UTC)
borsaholic

I Thing the same thing is here too:

{ User input }

pr:=12;

{ Elliot Wave engine }

{ Buy/Sell Elliot Wave stuff }

EWbuy:=TroughBars(1,EW,pr)=0;

EWsell:=PeakBars(1,EW,pr)=0;

{ Plot on own window }

Ewbuy-EWsell;

In the chart it plotted the binary like +1, -1 and 0, but in the explorer it will be not calculated. Is it right? Very pity.

Thanks.

MS Support  
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 3:56:20 PM(UTC)
MS Support

I Thing the same thing is here too:

{ User input }

pr:=12;

{ Elliot Wave engine }

{ Buy/Sell Elliot Wave stuff }

EWbuy:=TroughBars(1,EW,pr)=0;

EWsell:=PeakBars(1,EW,pr)=0;

{ Plot on own window }

Ewbuy-EWsell;

In the chart it plotted the binary like +1, -1 and 0, but in the explorer it will be not calculated. Is it right? Very pity.

Thanks.

If you put a formula in the Filter tab, then anything that does not meet the criteria as a "True" condition will be rejected. If you put the formula into the other columns (A through L) and leave the Filter tab empty, then all results should be displayed. The Explorer is designed to only display a single value for the date that was scanned, but you can still "Inspect" a given security to review the prior date's values.

borsaholic  
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 4:56:37 PM(UTC)
borsaholic

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Can you give me an example of how to implement your proposal, using the formula.

I put the formula into one column (i.e. K) and leaved the Filter tab empty. But it does not work.

MS Support  
#14 Posted : Wednesday, February 6, 2019 6:44:18 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Can you give me an example of how to implement your proposal, using the formula.

I put the formula into one column (i.e. K) and leaved the Filter tab empty. But it does not work.

Hello again,

We would probably need an example symbol where it appears to show different values in the Explorer vs. the chart.

A non-zero value is relatively rare. Also, due to how ZigZag works it is more appropriate as a visual aid than a signal generator.

Future values can affect previous signals due to how peaks and troughs are measured. For example, I ran the scan on the S&P 500 today. All stocks returned 0 values in the report. Inspecting 3M (Symbol MMM) it appeared as if there was a 1 value on 12/26/2018.

So I ran a scan using 12/26/2018 as the exploration date. 3M returned a 0 value. Hence, data that has come in since 12/26/2018 changed the peak/trough measurements and created a signal where previously there was none. This could potentially also invalidate a previously generated signal.

Edited by user Wednesday, February 6, 2019 8:07:39 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified