logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PTJim  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, January 16, 2019 6:23:04 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)

Can MS16 be installed alongside MS11?  I'm pretty happy with 11 but have the upgrade to 16 as well.

I'd like to install and check out 16 but keep my MS11 daily-routine setup (explorations, templates etc.) intact until I decide whether to make the move.

I started the installer but it just says "Installing MetaStock" and gives no indication of whether options such as drive/folder for the new installation are available, so I cancelled it until I can find out what's possible.  Does an installation-options window appear before actual instal proceeds, or maybe command-line parameters?

Edited by user Wednesday, January 16, 2019 6:26:10 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 3:46:16 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Originally Posted by: PTJim Go to Quoted Post

Can MS16 be installed alongside MS11?  I'm pretty happy with 11 but have the upgrade to 16 as well.

I'd like to install and check out 16 but keep my MS11 daily-routine setup (explorations, templates etc.) intact until I decide whether to make the move.

I started the installer but it just says "Installing MetaStock" and gives no indication of whether options such as drive/folder for the new installation are available, so I cancelled it until I can find out what's possible.  Does an installation-options window appear before actual instal proceeds, or maybe command-line parameters?

Hello,

Installing the two versions will not cause any problems, except that you cannot run them at the same time (MSWIN.EXE is used by both versions).

There are no options to change the drive during the installation. On a Windows 10 system launching the installer by double-clicking will typically put the installation under the Users folder. If you specifically Run As Administrator the installation can end up going to the Program Files (x86) directory under Thomson Reuters although this is not recommended.

Even if both MetaStock versions are under Program Files (x86), they will not interact with each other (aside from the version 16 MetaStock Migration utility which is designed to transfer some files from v11.

Edited by user Friday, January 18, 2019 3:39:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

PTJim  
#3 Posted : Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:15:56 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Can you clarify that a bit, please? What about the folder structure - does 16 still force an install to the existing "Metastock" folder on Drive C? If so, MSWIN.EXE would be overwritten, so how does version 11 survive that? Or does it create a separate folder tree, like "Metastock16" or something?

What does the MS16 folder structure look like? If same as v11, I don't see how both versions can remain installed and functional.

Too bad that after all these years we still can't choose an installation directory like all the other software I use - Drive C is getting full! I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64 and in no hurry to change that either.

Thanks!

Edited by user Friday, January 18, 2019 3:53:52 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MS Support  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 4:00:57 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Originally Posted by: PTJim Go to Quoted Post

Can you clarify that a bit, please? What about the folder structure - does 16 still force an install to the existing "Metastock" folder on Drive C? If so, MSWIN.EXE would be overwritten, so how does version 11 survive that? Or does it create a separate tree, like Metastock16 or something?

What does the MS16 folder structure look like? If same as v11, I don't see how both versions can remain installed and functional.

Too bad that after all these years we still can't choose an installation directory like all the other software I use - Drive C is getting full! I'm running Win7 Ultimate 64 and in no hurry to change that either.

Thanks!

Hello again. Versions 12 and later do not utilize the "Equis" folder structure in any way (outside the MetaStock Migration Utility looking here to import files into the new version). If version 16 gets installed into C:\Program Files (x86), it will be within a "Thomson Reuters" folder. If the application installs into C:\Users\(Windows.Username)\AppData\Local, it will also be within a Thomson Reuters folder within this location.

Regardless of the installation directory used, we will still use the "Users" subfolder mentioned above to store your custom MetaStock 16 files such as formulas. Charts, layouts, templates will by default want to be saved in your Documents folder in a "MetaStock" subfolder although they can be saved and opened from anywhere.

In sum, MetaStock 16 utilitzes the folders below:

• Program installation directory (Either C:\Program Files (x86)\Thomson Reuters or C:\Users\(Windows.Username)\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters)
  • Charts/Layouts/Templates directory (C:\Users\(Windows.Username)\Documents\MetaStock)
  • Formulas, lists, smart charts, custom application files (C:\Users\(Windows.Username)\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters\MetaStock\16.0)
thanks 1 user thanked MS Support for this useful post.
PTJim on 1/18/2019(UTC)
PTJim  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 18, 2019 4:41:30 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Thank you for the detailed clarification - that helps a lot!
bex1210  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 6:54:41 AM(UTC)
bex1210

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post

Hello again. Versions 12 and later do not utilize the "Equis" folder structure in any way (outside the MetaStock Migration Utility looking here to import files into the new version). If version 16 gets installed into C:\Program Files (x86), it will be within a "Thomson Reuters" folder. If the application installs into C:\Users\(Windows.Username)\AppData\Local, it will also be within a Thomson Reuters folder within this location.

Regardless of the installation directory used, we will still use the "Users" subfolder mentioned above to store your custom MetaStock 16 files such as formulas. Charts, layouts, templates will by default want to be saved in your Documents folder in a "MetaStock" subfolder although they can be saved and opened from anywhere.

• Program installation directory (Either C:\Program Files (x86)\Thomson Reuters or C:\Users\(Windows.Username)\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters)
  • Charts/Layouts/Templates directory (C:\Users\(Windows.Username)\Documents\MetaStock)
  • Formulas, lists, smart charts, custom application files (C:\Users\(Windows.Username)\AppData\Local\Thomson Reuters\MetaStock\16.0)

I have Metastock 10.1 on a Windows 7 Pro (SP1) computer. I just added Metastock 17. Support helped me set it up, and it is installed in App Data. No one said it could be installed in Program Files when installed as an Administrator. Program Files (x86) is where 10.1 is installed.

A lot of my programs have user information stored in App Data, but I have never heard of  the basic probram files being stored there. Why does Metastock do that?

My Metastock 10.1 opens in 5 seconds when I click on it. Metastock 17 takes 25 seconds! Is that a function of the program being in App Data? Is some of the program stored in a Cloud computer somewhere?

Harry

Edited by user Thursday, January 16, 2020 6:55:59 AM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MS Support  
#7 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 4:50:18 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Originally Posted by: bex1210 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post

I have Metastock 10.1 on a Windows 7 Pro (SP1) computer. I just added Metastock 17. Support helped me set it up, and it is installed in App Data. No one said it could be installed in Program Files when installed as an Administrator. Program Files (x86) is where 10.1 is installed.

A lot of my programs have user information stored in App Data, but I have never heard of  the basic probram files being stored there. Why does Metastock do that?

My Metastock 10.1 opens in 5 seconds when I click on it. Metastock 17 takes 25 seconds! Is that a function of the program being in App Data? Is some of the program stored in a Cloud computer somewhere?

Harry

Hello,

Older applications typically defaulted to the Program Files folders for installation prior to MetaStock 12. MetaStock 10.1 was created during the Windows XP era. Newer versions of Windows changed how folder privileges/permissions work. Access to Program Files requires Administor Rights, so this can create potential access issues. The User folder does not require Administor Rights. The installation basically just goes with whatever permissions you have when the installation is run.

That said, I am not aware of any performance differences based on the installation folder. A direct comparison can't really be made as we load resources differently. Many of the interal components (i.e. System Tester, Explorer) are essentially loaded up front as opposed to loading them from inside the application on demand. We do not store any files in the cloud for MetaStock.

Edited by user Thursday, January 16, 2020 8:22:27 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

bex1210  
#8 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2020 5:28:34 PM(UTC)
bex1210

MS Support:

Thanks for the clarification and the history of Metastock re: where it is located. Yes, my Metastock 10.1 requires Administrative rights. But I still install new programs in Program Files, and they don't require Administrative rights. I guess it all depends on vendor preference. Again, thanks for all the rapid responses to my questions.

Harry

Edited by user Thursday, January 16, 2020 5:30:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: trying to create a line space