logo
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
PTJim  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:09:59 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Groups: Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 9 time(s) in 6 post(s)

I just got the email about the promo seminars to announce MS 15, and am VERY glad to see it looks like you've gone back to supporting independent data sources and local data files - thanks!

So I have a few questions I hope can be answered:

- Is the local-data file structure and format the same as the MS data files through version 11? I'd like to keep using ML Downloader with it; MLD has been my downloader for years.

- If not, do you provide a means to retrieve free EOD or intraday data from Google, Yahoo and other online sources that provide free realtime data?

- Has the elderly code base been addressed to function better with versions of Windows beyond XP? Multiple-monitor support and independent child windows, for instance?

- Has any attention been paid to everyday ease-of-use? Specifically I'm thinking of the drudgery involved in routine tasks like changing a number of Smart Charts to a new template - as it is, we have to click Save, then "Smart Chart" and a couple more confirmation clicks before a single chart is updated, for EVERY SINGLE CHART. There is no "Don't ask me again" or "Do the rest of the open charts like this one".  Tedious as hell whenever I modify my default template as I open old Smart Charts that need updating.

- Along the same lines, I'd like to see some trivial improvements, such as the Explorer progress window showing the number of symbols accepted in the screening process, instead of the non-intuitive number rejected. If only 5 of 11,000 symbols made the cut, that's what I want to know, not that 10,995 were rejected.

As you can see, functionality rather than new gee-whiz gizmos, Forecasters, dashboards and other gimmicks are what's important to me; I can manage my own technical analysis if the platform is solid. The local-data feature has been a deal-killer for me since V11, so I'm interested in an upgrade for the first time in years, but if not much has improved since V11, I'd like to know that.

Thanks!

Edited by user Wednesday, October 19, 2016 6:13:14 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MS Support  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2016 4:38:43 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Groups: Moderators, Registered, Registered Users, Subscribers

Was thanked: 154 time(s) in 150 post(s)
Hi, We can't really discuss features beyond what is covered in the materials released thus far. However, in regards to the data format, MetaStock 15 will include the ability to read our older "Legacy" MetaStock file format by linking the data files/folders to lists within the software.
thanks 1 user thanked MS Support for this useful post.
PTJim on 10/22/2016(UTC)
PTJim  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 21, 2016 4:46:31 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Update 10/27: ok, according to the seminar schedule, Singapore now knows all about the features of MS 15, but it's still a secret to the rest of the world, including the MetaStock.com website which still promotes MS 14.

What's so special about Singapore?

Then I hope you come back and update this thread when you're able to do so. According to your schedule, that would be this Thursday the 27th. We'll be waiting.

Meanwhile, I'll just keep using MS 11.
Thanks for your help.

Edited by user Thursday, October 27, 2016 6:58:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

cracker  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2016 4:57:47 AM(UTC)
cracker

Groups: Registered, Registered Users

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
I've seen no mention of data limits in XV. How many data bars are there per chart and per data file?
PTJim  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 29, 2016 8:13:11 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Originally Posted by: MS Support Go to Quoted Post
We can't really discuss features beyond what is covered in the materials released thus far. However, in regards to the data format, MetaStock 15 will include the ability to read our older "Legacy" MetaStock file format by linking the data files/folders to lists within the software.

Hello - still out there? The new-product seminars have been running for a few days now, so SOMEBODY in the world is getting more details, but the MS website still has only MS14, with a teaser screen mentioning MS15 seminars, talking about "Local Date" (sic) feature as if it's new instead of removed in versions 12-14.

Any chance of a specsheet or other detailed information - surely the Marketing Dept. had these ready days or weeks ago. As mentioned above, I'm particularly interested in improved functionality and local-data capability.

Thanks!

Edited by user Saturday, October 29, 2016 8:13:45 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

MS Support  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5:25:08 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Originally Posted by: cracker Go to Quoted Post
I've seen no mention of data limits in XV. How many data bars are there per chart and per data file?

The new MetaStock format limit is 100,000 symbols and 100,000 data rows per folder repository. MetaStock itself does not have any limits per chart that I am aware of beyond what the different data formats might limit.

MS Support  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5:29:09 PM(UTC)
MS Support

Originally Posted by: PTJim Go to Quoted Post

- If not, do you provide a means to retrieve free EOD or intraday data from Google, Yahoo and other online sources that provide free realtime data?

- Has the elderly code base been addressed to function better with versions of Windows beyond XP? Multiple-monitor support and independent child windows, for instance?

- Has any attention been paid to everyday ease-of-use? Specifically I'm thinking of the drudgery involved in routine tasks like changing a number of Smart Charts to a new template - as it is, we have to click Save, then "Smart Chart" and a couple more confirmation clicks before a single chart is updated, for EVERY SINGLE CHART. There is no "Don't ask me again" or "Do the rest of the open charts like this one".  Tedious as hell whenever I modify my default template as I open old Smart Charts that need updating.

- Along the same lines, I'd like to see some trivial improvements, such as the Explorer progress window showing the number of symbols accepted in the screening process, instead of the non-intuitive number rejected. If only 5 of 11,000 symbols made the cut, that's what I want to know, not that 10,995 were rejected.

We do not offer direct downloading of data from 3rd parties within the new DownLoader application, although we do support converting data from CSV / MetaStock Legacy formats into the new MetaStock data format (MSLocal). Additionally, properly formatted CSV/TXT files, MetaStock Legacy format (the prior MetaStock local data format) files can be charted/analyzed directly within MetaStock without converting (you add them into MetaStock as Local Lists).

Some of these items changed prior to MetaStock 15 to some extent. File > Save As Smart Chart is a menu item that simplifies the saving of a new smart chart. However, I have put in a request to see if some sort of "Save All As Smart Chart" menu item might be possible.

Monitor support has not changed between MetaStock 14 and 15, although you may notice some improvements between 11 and 15 (by and large, Full Desktop works the same/slightly more stable and dragging charts outside the container is not possible).

I have also written up a suggestion for more informative information as mentioned for the Exploration Status window.

Edited by user Tuesday, November 1, 2016 5:31:44 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked MS Support for this useful post.
PTJim on 11/1/2016(UTC)
PTJim  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:15:07 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Thank you very much for the update.

Restoration of local data and alternate data sources is great, bringing MS15 back in line with MS11 in that respect. So far, so good; that probably removes my primary reason for refusing upgrades beyond MS11.

As I mentioned above, I've been using a European product (ML Downloader) for years to gather EOD data from Yahoo and Google - that capability seems like a natural to add to The Downloader, doesn't it? I would love to have that function built-in to MetaStock. As it seems now though, I can continue using ML Downloader with MS15, that's another upgrade barrier gone, but not a step forward.

Now I await more info regarding usability improvements, although it seems two that would be major improvements for me (Save All Like This when changing templates for multiple Smart Charts, and a trivial tweak to Exploration Status info) aren't yet in place - after many years I'm sure I'm not the first to ask for these, which I've mentioned to MS Support over that time in the forums.

Initial impression of MS15 is that my personal barriers to upgrading are probably gone, but I have yet to see any improvements that would benefit me. The two above would be very nice, as would support for multiple monitors and dragging charts outside the container - you know, 21st Century computery stuff.

If you have some documented testimonials from people who've gotten rich using The Forecaster, RMO and similar stuff, I'm all ears too; until then I'll keep using my own MS customized code for technical analysis.

So, kudos on listening to users in many respects and I look forward to learning more about MS15 improvements.

Thanks!

Edited by user Tuesday, November 1, 2016 7:16:31 PM(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

marcos k  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 6:02:21 PM(UTC)
marcos k

Groups: Registered Users

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 1 post(s)

Hi, if you are looking for EOD data feeder, you should consider using ktStock.

http://kuestertech.com/ktstock/metastock-eod-data

PTJim  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, February 8, 2017 7:30:46 PM(UTC)
PTJim

Originally Posted by: marcos k Go to Quoted Post

Hi, if you are looking for EOD data feeder, you should consider using ktStock.

http://kuestertech.com/ktstock/metastock-eod-data

How is this any better than ML Downloader, which I've been using for years? It doesn't seem to be able to access Google EOD data, and charges an annual fee, whereas MLD was a one-time payment. 

Might make sense for those who want Brazilian data, but I'm not one of those.